Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AGA Genesis - DAMN!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Yeah I've been doing the same. I kinda figured I was overdoing it when one wick just crumbled away when I tried to wrap a coil around it :)

Hmm, I just had an idea reading this. Years ago I had an electrical meccano set, and it came with a load of copper wire for making electro magnets. The copper wire was coated with some kind of insulator so you could wrap it around an iron core without it shorting.

I wonder if you can get coated kanthal/nichrome...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you'd be inhaling the coating though...

Yeah, it'd need to be something temperature resistant that didn't break down in any way. All I can find at the moment is plastic/rubber type coatings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

it's all academic now anyway as i'm selling this to lucutus. I'll just keep that bit of info in memory for the next time I have a brainfart and order a genesis

We can share, by the time I'm pissed off with it, you might want to give it another go...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Dave Dorn mentioned on one of the shows he dose, putting some clingfilm round the wick to insulate it from the deck of the atty. Sounds doge but he said it worked. Might be a silicone grommet would be better. The idea is that the wick takes 0 curent so the coil heats even and thus removes hotspots.
    I'll know soon enough, one of these little babys are in the post to me atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Bubba9

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Dave Dorn mentioned on one of the shows he dose, putting some clingfilm round the wick to insulate it from the deck of the atty. Sounds doge but he said it worked. Might be a silicone grommet would be better. The idea is that the wick takes 0 curent so the coil heats even and thus removes hotspots.
    I'll know soon enough, one of these little babys are in the post to me atm.

The idea behind these is that you stick your unoxidised wick inside and wind the coil around the tube...no hotspots and trouble-free. Haven't heard much about them so maybe they're useless but it's only a matter of time before a trouble-free set-up comes on the market.

http://www.health-e-vape.co.uk/ss-maximus---wick-tubes-5-pcs-4034-p.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Looks like it would work pretty well, very well actually same concept as the class tubing but the benefit of a wickable substance.

My only concern would be that its going back to the possibility of
    A) silica burning
    B) chards of silica threads being inhaled from your Genny (why I wouldnt dream of using silica outside of a clearo device)

If they could seal the cuts or coat them I'd feel better about using one - it looks like basic heatproof wiring covers they use in kitchen equipment which does fray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I tried that pulse method on the VH genesis using an old eGo battery last night and it actually seemed to work. The wick was pre-oxidised but had the obligitory hot spot at the top coil.......all 4 turns glowed after about 10 mins.

Stupid VH atty has a problem since I got it though. It dies for a while every 6 or 7 tokes. Not the post connection either so don't know what it is. It's always done it no matter what coil or battery that I used.

Half thinking of trying the Aga-S now cos that will work with silica as well.

I think I have this one working as best as it can, maybe someone can correct me... after pulsing it for a while, the coil glowed even.

Then I filled up with Eden and gave it a vape and it tastes well @ 4.2 on an ego. Plenty of vapour and flavour, tight draw alright, slight dryness.

I notice after firing it for 6+ seconds, I get the top hot spot, can't seem to tweak it away, and I have to tip it to get it to wick properly, otherwise after firing it twice, the hot spot will return more frequently. I doubt these ever wick well if keeping them vertical to vape from them?

First impressions is that it's tons better than a Vivi/CE4/T3 etc... when it works! Looks like a trade off between consistent 'good' vape or an inconsistent 'excellent' vape perhaps?

• Advertisement

i have noticed most reviews tend to vape genesis atties almost horizontal in the videos, so I guess if you're going for a long draw or chain vaping then vertical might not work too well

glad to hear the pulsing thing worked, did it take long?

Not too long actually, kanthal .20 wrapped four times, glowing started at the top of the coil, I tweaked, then the middle two wraps were glowing, so I thought that was a good place to start pulsing, 5 mins or so later, it was even.

Along the way there were a couple of arc's between the coils, (shorts?), and a light touch got rid of them.

very finicky, some difference for me though, on a par with the spiral dripper almost, if the draw was better maybe.

yeah when I got the aga-t kinda working twice I did find the draw a bit tight, but you could increase the size of the airhole if you wanted

Aye, it appears to be a 1mm hole and I have a 1.5mm metal drill bit here somewhere, holding it still while I drill it out might be an issue without a vice or jig of some description...

edit: Actually, while vaping away on it here, in a nice relaxed way, the draw is the main problem alright, have to suck on it like you're trying to get a marble through the mesh wick for a proper vape. Also, the extra O ring to make the hole line up isn't helping my appreciation of the look of the thing, surely I can do something to the threads to make it line up with the wick and avoid the red condom ring look? "I'm not putting my lips on that"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

The 500# and 625# mesh is supposed to be amazingly fast for wicking, as in they keep up when the device is vertical.

Great to hear the pulsing thing works. Will give it a go on Wednesday, or whenever I get sick of this mud-water Virginia Prime (notgonnahappen).

Took a mini file to the airhole on the AGA and it only needs to be opened up a tiny bit to make the draw better, but it takes ages because it's SS and thick with it.

Not sure which type of mesh Sir Digby Chicken Caesar gave me here, also, I only have 40x20mm or so in it, might have an effect in some way, a 40x30mm would give me more mesh in the wick, might help get the juice up there.

ive no idea what kind of mesh it is :) got it free aaaaaaaaaaages ago

--edit

checked through my emails
    I have mesh300, can send you some for free.

Cool.

So the 500+ is a finer mesh, with better, hotter, go all night capillary ackshun?

The AGA easily takes 40x60mm. Roll it tighter. Wickalicious.

Still needs a tip if chain-vaping (3 long draws gets my top coil glowing) for the 400 mesh.

Lucutus wrote: »
    So the 500+ is a finer mesh, with better, hotter, go all night capillary ackshun?
    Yup. The 625 apparently wicks too fast for people vaping at lower wattages (read lower as normal - Americans go to crazy temperatures).

Still have one of the mesh precuts you sent to me grindle, I'll give that a go next week.

• Advertisement

Mine is 400, you'll be shít outta luck!

Gonna get some 500 soon - if you wanna save on postage costs I can put an order in for the two of us?
    No rush or anything. I still have to get another hole drilled into my AGA before I rewick and recoil.

Aye, lets do that, I checked here: they seem to do a two for one type deal with the A4 and A3 sheets?

Where?

I've been getting great wicking with #400, to the point that if I leave it down for too long it starts emptying the tank. #500 should easily do the job.

I just need to sort the shorting/top-hot-spot issue, I;ll have to give pulsing a go next.

Sounds cool. Not sure if the free mesh is the same type though. I think I recall someone on UKV saying the free sheets are the 200 type. Will check to make sure tomorrow.
    stevenmu wrote: »
    I've been getting great wicking with #400, to the point that if I leave it down for too long it starts emptying the tank. #500 should easily do the job.

In the AGA-T? What's your set-up measurement-wise? (Again! Why do I read everything I type in a Kenneth Williams voice?)
    Super tightly rolled?

Mine is pretty tight and the wicking keeps up if tilted, but I tend to vape with the thing vertical as I look down on the iPad cursing at Super Hexagon.
    Damn you to Hell, Super Hexagon!

grindle wrote: »

What's your set-up measurement-wise? (Again! Why do I read everything I type in a Kenneth Williams voice?)

That's how I read everything you type!

Ouch, that's close to the bone.

Dammit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

surely I can do something to the threads to make it line up with the wick and avoid the red condom ring look?

I sanded mine down, just ran the top cap over and back across some sandpaper...did the trick..
    stevenmu wrote: »
    I've been getting great wicking with #400, to the point that if I leave it down for too long it starts emptying the tank..

That's something i'd like to see!!

• Advertisement

Gryzor wrote: »
    I sanded mine down, just ran the top cap over and back across some sandpaper...did the trick..

n1, will try that when/if I find some paper to suit the job.

Advertisement