Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AGA Genesis - DAMN!

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I just got the Aga-S today. The hole looks off on it too but I haven't even tried to build it yet because my VH Genesis is actually working very well.

I built the coil on the atomiser itself - the drill bit method never worked for me although it's supposed to be foolproof...............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

I just got the Aga-S today. The hole looks off on it too but I haven't even tried to build it yet because my VH Genesis is actually working very well.

I built the coil on the atomiser itself - the drill bit method never worked for me although it's supposed to be foolproof...............

Got one of them myself on friday...nice bit of kit. I prefer the tighter draw on it to the AGA-T. The airhole on mine was slightly off, about a quarter turn too far, so no biggy....

I also picked up an AGA-W, got delivery today. Pretty much same as the AGA-T, but no knurling, push-on top cap, so no issues with airhole. It screws together a bit differently aswell...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

When I was rolling the wick and coil for it, I used a drillbit for rolling the mesh onto and then rolled a coil onto that, fitted the whole lot together.

Thought I was great using the 'drillbit method' till I actually went and looked at Todd's video!

I'm an absolute idiot - I ripped my VH Genesis apart to put the wick into the Aga-S and of course it didnt fit...........raging cos I finally had the VH Genesis working.

I have to say that I dont like the Aga-S either though, its more fiddly than the VH Genesis and I dont like that I cant see what volume remains in the tank either.

I'm not even going to try it anymore. I just dont like that style of set up. I'm happiest with my Bulli and Clockworks RDA, old fashioned kinda guy I guess! To be honest, when I've got them set up properly I still dont really get the hype about the improvement over things like the Bulli or RDA, especially when they are set up using mesh as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Bubba9

I don't know much about the Clockworks RTA but couldn't the AGA-T be used in the same way? There's enough holes to feed mesh wicks into the tank...or a hybrid or fiberglass wicks.

• Advertisement

I guess it could but its much smaller than Clockworks stuff. Probably difficult enough to do I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Well, got a VH genesis today. Damn car battery was dead as a dodo this morning and is on a charger all day. Thought I might as well spend my time trying the gen.
    Mother of God, what fiend from the deepest pit of hell thought this thing up !
    All the wire is gone, pop pop, pop. not one coil would last past 2 seconds, always hot on top then pop. No matter how close I kept the wick and center post. A naked bit of wire is not a good idea and the gen design has this 'feature' incorporated into it. What the f...?
    It wouldn't fire at all on the VMax, F1, F2 errors, couldnt try the omh of the coil to see if that was the problem.

Have to order some more wire anyway so I'll keep it til then and give it another meter of wire before it goes in the bin (or off the bloody wall).

thank fcuk for the dripper, it kept me sane all day.

Ha ha ha ha......it's all coming back now!

Yeah, I went through a heap of wire with the VH. Pop, pop, pop.

No chance at all using 0.15. Got mine working with 0.2 alright........until I ripped it out to put into the Aga-S......aaaaaaarrrrgggghh

Actually, I don't have a hotspot on the aga even using 0.15 so it definitely is not as bad as the VH. That really is a monster. Used to drive me mad when people on UKV would say the the drill bit method works no problem for it.........no it does not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Well, got a VH genesis today. Damn car battery was dead as a dodo this morning and is on a charger all day. Thought I might as well spend my time trying the gen.
    Mother of God, what fiend from the deepest pit of hell thought this thing up !
    All the wire is gone, pop pop, pop. not one coil would last past 2 seconds, always hot on top then pop. No matter how close I kept the wick and center post. A naked bit of wire is not a good idea and the gen design has this 'feature' incorporated into it. What the f...?
    It wouldn't fire at all on the VMax, F1, F2 errors, couldnt try the omh of the coil to see if that was the problem.

Try the Double Wire method thats posted a few pages back with pics (pages 4 & 7) - I havent had a single hotspot or popped coil since I've started using on on the VH-Genesis combined with only using 2 nuts instead of 3.

Basically the top coil can't pop as you have No Resistance until you are about 1/4 wrap around the wick - you really need to wrap the coil on the wick before inserting and screwing it down or else the top will be off though.

8261299223_6f29eb6c61.jpg

Actually my Aga-S is working now. I sanded the top down to get the air hole somewhat in line with the wick.

It's definitely more forgiving than the VH though. Can't see inside and that bugs me but its much easier to fill even using a Liqua spout. TBS new juice range have really skinny long nosed tips so they'll work even better.

Wonder when ESI will get the clear tubes in?

• Advertisement

Was reading up on genny wicks on ecf today. Some good stuff in there, one thing I took out of it (digby has mentioned it earlier, but it didn't click with me) was about the amount of heat to use when oxidizing the mesh. I was always aiming for the thing to be black when I finished, apparently if you end up with that, you've overdone it by a good amount. The result of that is the oxidized layer gets very brittle, and falls away easily when coiling.

All you do is apply the torch evenly till it glows a deep red, not bright yellow. Then first the mesh will go a blueish colour, then brown. Brown is what you want. Once you don't burn it till its glowing like the sun it pretty much stays brown. Then do the 3 or so juice burns to lay down some carbon. That's it for the wick...

The other thing mentioned on the thread that I was guilty of was excessive dry burning after I put the coil on, apparently the glowing coils will eventually burn through the oxidized layer to the steel beneath leading to shorts....

I setup one this evening using the tips above along with the drill it method ( sorry hornet ;)) and it worked pretty well....

The thread is definitely worth a read....

Wonder when ESI will get the clear tubes in?

Are there clear tubes available? Bugs me aswell...

Heh heh......I'm sure the drill bit works alright - just not for me. What used to bug me was some people over there on UKV half make it out to be a cinch and that's not the case. It works getting the coil right but getting the wick to the right diameter to slide in easy is not as easy as they make out. I always had more success winding on the wick when it in the atty......

I don't think I'll use the aga without a clear tank - I like to see what's left inside. I assume they will supply them cos they have them for the T.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Bubba9

Might be worth your while to wait a while, there's loads of versions coming out. Now there's the AgaW and soon the AGA-T2 with the option of a pyrex tank

http://www.safercigs.co.uk/AGA-T2_Rebuildable_Tank_atomiser/p705283_8295059.aspx

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the -w is the same as the -t but without a screw in top cap so you just push it down onto two o-rings

the -w is the same as the -t but without a screw in top cap so you just push it down onto two o-rings

The tank section is threaded aswell, so the caps actually screw not it, rather than just the nut in the center post keeping the whole thing together...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 shamreez

Just ordered the AGA - T + yesterday.
    It does look promising will have to get it to see how it performs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

I've just about worn out my VH genesis, Chrome is wearing off the tank and everytime I clean it I'm finding green/black disgusting smelling gunk in the threads and down the center post (yuk!)

From now on I'm going stainless only!

The price of the Aga(s/t) is the same as the VH was as release, and the VH is down to about 8 euro now in some places :-O on the fence now if I should wait for the W or T2 :-S

• Registered Users Posts: 11 shamreez

was.deevey wrote: »
    I've just about worn out my VH genesis, Chrome is wearing off the tank and everytime I clean it I'm finding green/black disgusting smelling gunk in the threads and down the center post (yuk!)

From now on I'm going stainless only!

The price of the Aga(s/t) is the same as the VH was as release, and the VH is down to about 8 euro now in some places :-O on the fence now if I should wait for the W or T2 :-S

AGA-T+ is T2 only

Advertisement