Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obama Vs Romney

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

A zillion recounts, recounts of recounts, and court cases for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

steve9859 wrote: »
    I agree....Obama will win the EC comfortably. But Romney will still likely win the popular vote, or come very close if he doesn't.

And the fact that Romney has so much support, when much of his thinking is so extreme, just shows what a disappointment Obama has been in his four years. No more 'Yes we can' this time around, that's for sure. Just mountains and mountains more debt...

Much of his thinking that I have heard is actually not that extreme, he's definitely not as conservative as the majority of the Republican party and when you think of the tea party he is fairly moderate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

I hope Romney wins.. simply because I have a bet on with my girlfriend.

I'd quite enjoy watching her count my 10 euro in 1c's:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,893 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I say the 3 election will end up red (GOP). Romney will win Obama is/was not a great president. Obamacare has been a disaster and expensive and adding 16 Trillion is a lot. In 2 years we will see if the democrats can come back

• Registered Users Posts: 10,893 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

irishfeen wrote: »
    Much of his thinking that I have heard is actually not that extreme, he's definitely not as conservative as the majority of the Republican party and when you think of the tea party he is fairly moderate.

Ya I know from listening to that american on george hooks show that a lot od GOP don't like him as he is not conservative enough but the dislike Obama more. I dont think it would be as bad as people think if Romney wins

• Advertisement

I say the 3 election will end up red (GOP). Romney will win Obama is/was not a great president. Obamacare has been a disaster and expensive and adding 16 Trillion is a lot. In 2 years we will see if the democrats can come back

WTF. Your maths is as bad as Romney's. Obama did not run up the entire 16.2 trillion deficit on his own as you seem to be suggesting. And Obamacare will be a lasting achievement if its not repealed. Time will show that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

The tea party are nutters. By extreme I guess I am using a European standard, and commenting on the fact that even though he polls terribly amongst women (due to his abortion plans and women's rights policies), along with hispanics (due to his immigration policy), Romney still likely wins the popular vote. That reflects terribly on Obama and illustrates the lack of progress in the last 4 years.

Economically I would much rather see Romney win. Just take a look at the debt clock on google, which has accelerated on Obama's watch. Scary stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Romney is a vain insecure man. He wants one up on daddy, who ran and failed as the Republicans presidents choice. He has no vision, no agenda except his ego. He wants to win, cause daddy didn't.

Lollers wrote: »
    Romney is a vain insecure man. He wants one up on daddy, who ran and failed as the Republicans presidents choice. He has no vision, no agenda except his ego. He wants to win, cause daddy didn't.

If you say so....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Economically I would much rather see Romney win. Just take a look at the debt clock on google, which has accelerated on Obama's watch. Scary stuff

The amazing thing is how much the idea of "Romney will fix the debt cos BUSINESS!" has taken hold in the public mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Lollers wrote: »

Ah that's a bit harsh, his record in Massachusetts is very good. He oversaw the introduction of healthcare which in effect gave near-universal health insurance access and presided over the elimination of a projected $1.2–1.5 billion deficit.

Now lets be honest he is no fool and my god he would be a welcome addition to Irish politics.

The amazing thing is how much the idea of "Romney will fix the debt cos BUSINESS!" has taken hold in the public mind.

And nobody asks what the consequences would have been if Obama and the Fed hadn't pumped trillions into the economy. It sure wouldn't have been any better, and most likely, millions of additional jobs would have been lost.

Are you implying that that is my kind of brainless thinking?

It is not. I would like a president to stop printing money. To reduce the size of government. Much like I want FG / Lab to rip up Croke Park but on a much much larger scale

It is a fact that US corporations are sitting on unprecedented levels of cash. Billions and billions just sitting there. But they are too scared to invest, as they haven't a clue what Obama is going to do. Romney hopefully can give corporate CEOs the confidence to start spending and investing. I know business people in DC and Boston (venture capitalists involved in the tech sector) and all are hoping for a Romney win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

I remember when Obama won the election last time someone saying that he won't achieve much because he'll be too worried about getting a second term, so he won't want to rock the boat. I hope that if he gets a second chance, he will make more progress, because there's really nothing to lose.

I really like him, despite all the criticism and the naysayers. In a poll of the world/Europe, something like 20 out of 21 countries would vote Obama. A lot of Americans commented underneath that it's because the world wants to drag America down to their level, lol! I think Europe is a far better place to live than America, having been there myself and seen the socio-economic divide that exists. So I just thought that reaction was interesting. And I feel like Obama has built up strong international relations, lots of people like and admire him over here, and that's definitely good for the world.

Ah that's a bit harsh, his record in Massachusetts is very good. He oversaw the introduction of healthcare which in effect gave near-universal health insurance access and presided over the elimination of a projected $1.2–1.5 billion deficit.

Now lets be honest he is no fool and my god he would be a welcome addition to Irish politics.

Not as you might think:

http://www.boston.com/business/news/2012/09/05/bdc-romney-economic-record-mass-gallery-gallery/66oDZP6Tph09AhRC73VC2J/pictures.html

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

If his record in Massachusetts is so good then why is Obama 20 points ahead in the most recent polls there? Surely if Romney was as good as you're implying, the people who benefitted from this "good record" would be supporting him?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

The worldwide poll that BBC did here didn't include Ireland, but if we were anything like the rest of Europe, and I'd hazard a guess we would be, Romney wouldn't be particularly welcome at all.

Even this thread, and the US Politics forum, is generally pro-Obama/anti-Romney (depending on what way you look at it).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

The Dagda wrote: »
    If his record in Massachusetts is so good then why is Obama 20 points ahead in the most recent polls there? Surely if Romney was as good as you're implying, the people who benefitted from this "good record" would be supporting him?!

Because it's a Democrat state. They haven't voted Republican in a US Presidential election since 1984. His record in the state is good, but he can't shift demographics like that, nobody could.

Are you implying that that is my kind of brainless thinking?

Well, it is you who say it
    It is not. I would like a president to stop printing money. To reduce the size of government.

Ahh, that old chestnut. If you think that government will get "smaller" under a Romney administration you're deluded.
    The again "stop printing money" and "make government smaller" are nice little soundbites and nothing more.

It is a fact that US corporations are sitting on unprecedented levels of cash. Billions and billions just sitting there. But they are too scared to invest, as they haven't a clue what Obama is going to do.

But a man with a plan that has no details and his VP "numbers guy" that believes maths is akin to magic will give these people confidence?
    Suuuuure.

Romney hopefully can give corporate CEOs the confidence to start spending and investing. I know business people in DC and Boston (venture capitalists involved in the tech sector) and all are hoping for a Romney win

And when they are disappointed are they simply going to sit on their money until someone is elected that will bring in something like the bush tax cuts?

People with a lot of money want low taxes because "fuck you, I got mine" is a way of life and this leads them to support republicans.
    It also leads them to pretend they'll take their ball and go home if they don't get their way.
    Unsurprisingly, it will transpire that they are liars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Obamacare has not been a disaster nor has it contributed to the debt. Good grief, it's not even in full swing yet. What has contributed to the debt is the tax cuts George Bush put into place and two wars we've been fighting - both of which Obama inherited and has had to deal with. Obama has actually been a very good president who, in his first two years in particular (before the House went red), achieved great things - such as: equal pay for women, expanding hate crime laws, repealing don't ask don't tell, reforming Wall Street, signing a nuclear arms treaty with Russia, appointing two women to the Supreme Court (one of which is a Hispanic), killed Osama bin Laden, ended (ending) two wars, helped to overthrow Muammar Gaddafi, imposed sanctions on Iran, expanded health benefits to same sex couples, and halted the deportation of illegal immigrants brought to the US as children. Plus, he quit smoking. Obama has the greater good of the country/all countries in mind - I'm not so sure I can say that about Romney.

Regarding corporations sitting on their money - I doubt that has anything to do with Romney instilling confidence. My money's on political strategy.

Ahh, that old chestnut. If you think that government will get "smaller" under a Romney administration you're deluded.
    The again "stop printing money" and "make government smaller" are nice little soundbites and nothing more

The alternative is a guaranteed 4 years of further QE. Romney will slow down the money printing whereas Obama will go well down the road of bankrupting America. Or do you also live in Obama's fiscal make-believe world?

Luckily, he will need republican agreement to raise the debt cap (again)

And when they are disappointed are they simply going to sit on their money until someone is elected that will bring in something like the bush tax cuts?

no, they'll wait to have confidence in the economy. Which Obama is unlikely to be able to generate

Because it's a Democrat state. They haven't voted Republican in a US Presidential election since 1984. His record in the state is good, but he can't shift demographics like that, nobody could.

But he did manage to shift 220,000 unemployed people out of the state to make the unemployment rate look decent. And his jobs creation rate was comparatively one of the lowest in the 50 states. Massachusetts went from 37th to 47th in the nation under Romney. He also left the new Governor with a $1 billion deficit. Great record indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

The alternative is a guaranteed 4 years of further QE. Romney will slow down the money printing whereas Obama will go well down the road of bankrupting America. Or do you also live in Obama's fiscal make-believe world?

Luckily, he will need republican agreement to breach the debt cap (again)

Isn't Romney planning to add $7 trillion to the US deficit via defence spending and tax cuts?

Funglegunk wrote: »

Isn't Romney planning to add $7 trillion to the US deficit via defence spending and tax cuts?

Didn't you hear his magic plan? - 'See me after the election'

Funglegunk wrote: »

No. That was a random number that Obama threw out in a debate, and represents only one side of the tax rebalancing. But of course as it is Obama saying it, people treat it as fact. They are both spouting BS about each others plans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Reagan did.

Whatever the demographics, if he indeed had such a good record, as some people are trying to portray, you'd expect some kind of a reflection of that record in the polls. There doesn't seem to be any support from the people who'd actually know his leadership style best.

no, they'll wait to have confidence in the economy. Which Obama is unlikely to be able to generate

Uh huh

I didn't realise confidence in the economy boils down to simple partisan hackery and "OBAMA WILL RUIN US ALL!"

It's almost, ALMOST, like your confusing meaningless political talking points with reality - well, if nothing else it'll give you options in the field of television punditry.

• Advertisement

Look, this is moot anyway, as Obama will win.

Hopefully the republicans can limit the debt growth through congress. They would have to agree to raise the ceiling.

The fact that it is so close is testament to Obama's crap performance in the last 4 years.

Advertisement