Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obama Vs Romney

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Obamacare has not been a disaster nor has it contributed to the debt. Good grief, it's not even in full swing yet. What has contributed to the debt is the tax cuts George Bush put into place and two wars we've been fighting - both of which Obama inherited and has had to deal with. Obama has actually been a very good president who, in his first two years in particular (before the House went red), achieved great things - such as: equal pay for women, expanding hate crime laws, repealing don't ask don't tell, reforming Wall Street, signing a nuclear arms treaty with Russia, appointing two women to the Supreme Court (one of which is a Hispanic), killed Osama bin Laden, ended (ending) two wars, helped to overthrow Muammar Gaddafi, imposed sanctions on Iran, expanded health benefits to same sex couples, and halted the deportation of illegal immigrants brought to the US as children. Plus, he quit smoking. Obama has the greater good of the country/all countries in mind - I'm not so sure I can say that about Romney.

Regarding corporations sitting on their money - I doubt that has anything to do with Romney instilling confidence. My money's on political strategy.

Don't forget the reform of student loans. Allowing young people to fund their university education and pay a small fixed percentage of their income when the start working. Romney wants to repeal it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Uh huh

I didn't realise confidence in the economy boils down to simple partisan hackery and "OBAMA WILL RUIN US ALL!"

It's almost, ALMOST, like your confusing meaningless political talking points with reality - well, if nothing else it'll give you options in the field of television punditry.

I guess you're happy for Obama to fly ahead with QE infinity. Fair 'nuff.....

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

only few hours till the count, cant wait....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Any expected time it will be announced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

steve9859 wrote: »
    The fact that it is so close is testament to Obama's crap performance in the last 4 years.

Or alternatively it's a testament to how a poor candidate mittens is that despite all the money at his disposal he couldn't manage to beat such a "crap" incumbent

Both scenarios, of course, requires you to believe that Obama has been "crap", which isn't really true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

No. That was a random number that Obama threw out in a debate, and represents only one side of the tax rebalancing. But of course as it is Obama saying it, people treat it as fact. They are both spouting BS about each others plans

It's not a random number, Romney's own site states that his plan is to increase defence spending to a minimum of 4% of GDP per year. Up from Obama's current spend of 3.5% per year.

Over 8 years that adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

The Dagda wrote: »
    If his record in Massachusetts is so good then why is Obama 20 points ahead in the most recent polls there? Surely if Romney was as good as you're implying, the people who benefitted from this "good record" would be supporting him?!

I'm not implying anything here, it makes no difference to me who wins but calling the man Vain is a bit much. Isn't Massachusetts very much a democratic state? .... He had to do something right as he became governor from 2003-07 in the state.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

phoenix999 wrote: »
    But he did manage to shift 220,000 unemployed people out of the state to make the unemployment rate look decent.

High density Amfleet I cars have a capacity of 72 people. The average Amtrak train is about 6-8 passenger cars (and a diner, lounge etc). That's about 575 people per train, and so nearly 400 trainloads shipped out. Two a week, pretty much.

How did he get them all onto the train, just to make his figures look good?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

High density Amfleet I cars have a capacity of 72 people. The average Amtrak train is about 6-8 passenger cars (and a diner, lounge etc). That's about 575 people per train, and so nearly 400 trainloads shipped out. Two a week, pretty much.

How did he get them all onto the train, just to make his figures look good?

Ah, being facetious, it suit's you.

The fact is what while he was gov. of MA it got so bad there that the state had one of the highest unemployment rates in the US, only saved from being the worst because 220,000+ people left the state to try and find work.

It's a terrible record for someone who claims to be able to create 12 million jobs in the next 4 years.

irishfeen wrote: »
    I'm not implying anything here, it makes no difference to me who wins but calling the man Vain is a bit much. Isn't Massachusetts very much a democratic state? .... He had to do something right as he became governor from 2003-07 in the state.

Eh... where did I call the man "Vain"? :confused:

• Advertisement

It's not a random number, Romney's own site states that his plan is to increase defence spending to a minimum of 4% of GDP per year. Up from Obama's current spend of 3.5% per year.

Over 8 years that adds up.

It adds up to $2tr. That's a fact. What is the makey-up number by Obama is the $5tr cost of tax cuts (but of course because Obama said it, it must be true). The poster to whom I was responding was talking about the oft quoted $7bn number

Or alternatively it's a testament to how a poor candidate mittens is that despite all the money at his disposal he couldn't manage to beat such a "crap" incumbent

Both scenarios, of course, requires you to believe that Obama has been "crap", which isn't really true.

My point is that a Mormon candidate, who alienates women due to his stance on abortion and woman's rights, and Hispanics due to his immigration policy, still is able to get 50% of the vote. I agree that his social policies are out there in many cases. But the fact that someone like that can win half the vote begs the question, "what has Obama been playing at?!"

Partly its because Romney out-polls Obama on the economy, but is also because Obama has been a disappointment. All that 'hope' chat, the 'yes we can' and all the grand speeches, have really come to nowt.

It adds up to $2tr. That's a fact. What is the makey-up number by Obama is the $5tr cost of tax cuts (but of course because Obama said it, it must be true). The poster to whom I was responding was talking about the oft quoted $7bn number

It's not a fact, Romney's own site says the 4% is minimum, so it's $2tr. minimum. It's also reasonable to assume Romney would adopt similar policies as Bush which would add trillions more to the deficit.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/post/the-reality-behind-obama-and-bushs-spending-binge/2012/05/25/gJQAK8ItpU_blog.html

It's not a fact, Romney's own site says the 4% is minimum, so it's $2tr. minimum. It's also reasonable to assume Romney would adopt similar policies as Bush which would add trillions more to the deficit.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/post/the-reality-behind-obama-and-bushs-spending-binge/2012/05/25/gJQAK8ItpU_blog.html

ugh....left wing blogs. I'm out.....

Obama promised to cut the debt in half. I didn't believe him at the time. Typical Obama bark with no bite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Obama promised to cut the debt in half. I didn't believe him at the time. Typical Obama bark with no bite

I'm pretty sure he promised to cut the deficit in half, not the debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Typical political worker really.

Ugh... ignorantly dismissing sources without reading them. I'm out too...

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/06/obamas-spending-inferno-or-not/

Obama made that promise 1 month after his inaugeration, it's not unreasonable to assume the full reality of the recession hadn't become apparent by then. In any case, it's dumb to hold a man to a promise, knowing what we know now.

Eh... where did I call the man "Vain"? :confused:

No sorry mate didn't me you called him vain but a previous poster said this,
    Romney is a vain insecure man. He wants one up on daddy, who ran and failed as the Republicans presidents choice. He has no vision, no agenda except his ego. He wants to win, cause daddy didn't.

that's why I was defending him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Not a cent on Romney at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If the overall result comes down to who wins Ohio it could be held up for days.

http://www.akronlegalnews.com/editorial/5284

Ohio could hold up the results of the presidential race for days after today's election. That's if the contest hinges on the swing state and the margin of victory is slim.

In a tight race, the ballots cast when voters don't bring the proper ID to the polls, among other reasons, will become crucial to the outcome.

By law, these so-called provisional ballots can't be counted for at least 10 days after the election — Nov. 17, this year — to give Ohio officials time to verify a voter's eligibility.

• Advertisement

Ya its looking like Ohio and Florida will decide the next president of the United States.

It looks like Obama will take the day, he has looked very relaxed all day. I suspect his campaign team have crunched the numbers and feel they are looking good now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

What time does the count start?

What time does the count start?

CNN said that the results of the exit polls will be made public after voting closes in the state, so we should get an idea of the first few states just after 12 tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

The conspiracy theorists are going to have a great time with this one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QdpGd74DrBM.
    Romneys son is associated with the company that makes the machines but the glitch is happening for Obama and Romney. What happened to good old pen and ballot paper

Romneys son is associated with the company that makes the machines but the glitch is happening for Obama and Romney. What happened to good old pen and ballot paper

:).... Ha I wonder if that was photo shopped, If its real its disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

just came in here to post that. jesus h christ. i hope thats a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

What's equally curious is that the video has 859 views (at time of posting) and over 10,000 likes! Seems the Republicans are rigging youtube too...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

emo72 wrote: »
    just came in here to post that. jesus h christ. i hope thats a joke.

Faulty machine. Taken out of service. If someone was trying to fix the election it was a bit unsubtle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

J. Marston wrote: »
    Wonder what would happen if it was a draw.

MTV celebrity deathmatch!:D

Advertisement