Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obama Vs Romney

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Skid wrote: »
    Yes, it is ridiculous that voters in 'safe' states are ignored and the elections are decided by a small number of states.

And the delegates to the Electoral College could technically vote for a different President than whomever the public elected. Sooner or later there will be a Constitutional Crisis.

It is definitely more exciting then Dail elections though :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

NTMK wrote: »
    Akin beaten in the senate :)

Two scumbags in one nite. Great news. Reason does prevail after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

James Carville on CNN looks like Gollum from Lord of The Rings

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I think they called Florida for Al Gore in 2000, and are still traumatized from that mistake...

Yep, the Networks called Kerry as well in 04, maybe not Florida but they thought Kerry had it. I'd still be skeptical of the polls. I'd trust our tally polls more.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

spiralism wrote: »

In all fairness, if they were trying to appeal to young voters as not being the rich fundamentalist white man party, Romney wouldn't be the man to broadcast that appeal

67% of young people for Obama in Florida says a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

irishfeen wrote: »
    Will still be close though, might not be enough on a national scale.
    According to the link below, Obama predicted to shade the popular vote
    Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Interesting blog here: http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/06/live-blog-the-2012-presidential-election/#more-37333

Just in case watching 15 news channels ain't enough. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

Johro wrote: »
    Watching Fox news, even for a laugh, is ultimately depressing, so I tend to stay the hell away from it.

I'm flicking over between channels. Sarah Palin was on Fox News, she's not happy at all. I think she used the words "This could be catastrophic", and amazingly she brought up the American Constitution. Wow I didn't think Republicans knew what the Constitution was. It does when it suits their needs. When it doesn't suit their needs they couldn't care less.

It is definitely more exciting then Dail elections though :)

Ah, the Dáil elections have their own charm.

Imagine how excited the US analysts would get about surpluses, transfers and 15th counts. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Al Jazeera English ‏@AJEnglish

Tammy Baldwin of #Wisconsin becomes first openly gay senator

spiralism wrote: »
    In all fairness, if they were trying to appeal to young voters as not being the rich fundamentalist white man party, Romney wouldn't be the man to broadcast that appeal

Fair point, it really is looking bad for the GOP even in 4 years time. The economy will be hugely better so they will find it very hard to break democrat dominance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Obama 162-Romney 163.
    Romney needs to win Ohio, ain't gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Yes!!

Alan Grayson has won back the Congressional seat in Florida.
    Tammy Duckworth wins against Joe Walsh.

Imagine how excited the US analysts would get about surpluses, transfers and 15th counts. :)

I think its a real pitty that we have to wait so long for results of Irish elections, wouldn't it be great if it was like the US, usually wrapped up within 4-5 hours of the first stations closing.

Conas wrote: »
    Romney was Governor of Massachusetts and they didn't even vote him in. Wouldn't that be kind of embarrassing for him? :confused: He seemed to boast a lot about his achievements as Governor. That's so strange. Anyone care to enlighten me?

They also threw out the republican senator. Romney increased taxes there by 24%. And his job record was very bad. The state was 46th out of 50 states for job creation. Don't believe everything that was said. The locals sure didnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I'm only watching Kay Burley coz I'll be behind her in exactly two weeks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I spent ages in GE before last explaining our system to a Cuban colleague - he was fascinated but bemused.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

Conas wrote: »
    Romney was Governor of Massachusetts and they didn't even vote him in. Wouldn't that be kind of embarrassing for him? :confused: He seemed to boast a lot about his achievements as Governor. That's so strange. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Any electoral position would be a major selling point for a potential president so he was always going to exploit that and I guess it speaks volumes that the even the most major weaponry in Romney's armour didn't cash in for him when it mattered

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Fair point, it really is looking bad for the GOP even in 4 years time. The economy will be hugely better so they will find it very hard to break democrat dominance.
    I despise most of them but a bit of realism here. They look like holding the House of Representatives and probably won't be more than 3-4% behind on the popular vote for the president

Where To wrote: »
    I'm only watching Kay Burley coz I'll be behind her in exactly two weeks. :)

@ 3.28am on the 21st of Nov.... :eek::)

I think its a real pitty that we have to wait so long for results of Irish elections, wouldn't it be great if it was like the US, usually wrapped up within 4-5 hours of the first stations closing.

To be honest, I love the extended Irish counts. It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on, so there is no need to rush it !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Dobbo doing some giving out about having to stay up late.... Does he not realise that it's the brief of the news broadcaster to follow the news at the time that it happens... It's not every evening that you have Bertie crying in your arms at 6 o'clock, but you're home for Fair City by 8..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

http://live.fauxnews.com/

(for those who don't have it through the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

That's it, I got to go to bed, I'm thinking Obama has it, which is a good thing.
    Nite all. Nite Willard. X

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Somebody have a Fox feed? even Palin is in meltdown.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    I despise most of them but a bit of realism here. They look like holding the House of Representatives and probably won't be more than 3-4% behind on the popular vote for the president

But when you look at the voting trends with young people and hispanics totally turning their back it may become more and more difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

@ 3.28am on the 21st of Nov.... :eek::)
    Yep, right through til the 28th :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

No, just no.

it would take florida until the end of time to calculate or system

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Johro wrote: »
    Obama 162-Romney 163.
    Romney needs to win Ohio, ain't gonna happen.
    Obama almost certainly has Iowa (59% in some polls) so even if Romney has Ohio and Florida he'll need a couple of other swing states too

Where To wrote: »
    Yep, right through til the 28th :)

Nice .... wouldn't be my cup of tae... but come here every man to himself :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

To be honest, I love the extended Irish counts. It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on, so there is no need to rush it !

Me too.

Advertisement