Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obama Vs Romney

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Oh boooooo!!! Fox News coverage finished:(

CBS and CNN still going strong though! Tune into Obama Campaign HQ for the Presidents' arrival :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

A sensible enough guy talking on the BBC just there saying that although Obama is the best person for the job now, but that the two-party system isn't working and is creating unnecessary tension and division in the country and is forcing people to take sides, and that that people need to have more options.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

Amid the current sneering about tasting tears, it's being ignored that Romney seems to have won more of the people's votes. He should be President, just as Gore should have been in 2000.

Because the counties that haven't been counted are a) heavily populated and b) vote 70-75% democrat

Bit sad that the world can predict the end of an election based on party and not person..

• Registered Users Posts: 82,752 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

stannis wrote: »
    Amid the current sneering about tasting tears, it's being ignored that Romney seems to have won more of the people's votes. He should be President, just as Gore should have been in 2000.
    Not all districts have completed their reporting: the popular vote is not yet known.

http://www.politico.com/2012-election/map/#/President/2012/

hover over any blue or red state. few report 100% right now. The states are called by pollster analysts based on historical data and given districts. They are able to call the electoral college long before 100% of votes are in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Considering that California has not been fully counted yet, I'm not sure that statistic will hold.

Overheal wrote: »
    Not all districts have completed their reporting: the popular vote is not yet known.

Correct, which is why I said "seems to have won". I could of course be wrong - it has happened before...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

The count hasn't finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Well if the popular vote vs. college electorate was such an issue for republicans they had 8 years to amend it when W. had gained from it. It is an issue but they have chosen to leave it stay, besides when all is said and done, it may take days for the tally to come through even longer possibly as Florida has to be recounted Pres. Obama may win the popular vote.

Correct, which is why I said "seems to have won". I could of course be wrong - it has happened before...

Nope, the expert consensus is that Obama wil pick up more votes as the count continues.

• Advertisement

Well if the popular vote vs. college electorate was such an issue for republicans they had 8 years to amend it when W. had gained from it.

I don't question that. What about the Democrats? Have they shown any indications of wanting to change this arcane system? I am genuinely curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

davyjose wrote: »
    Nope, the expert consensus is that Obama wil pick up more votes as the count continues.

including Ohio by the looks of it.

I don't question that. What about the Democrats? Have they shown any indications of wanting to change this arcane system? I am genuinely curious.

Why is it an arcane system?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,752 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

davyjose wrote: »
    Even FOX's team of analysts admit that there simply aren't enough republican votes left to report in, to make the gap. The electoral vote long gone, there just aren't enough anticipated Romney votes from what I understand.

FOX also reporting Obama is "the first president to be re-elected with fewer electoral votes during their re-election". Obama was elected in 2008 with 365 Electoral votes, and the popular vote with 66.8m vs. McCain with 173 Electoral and 58.3m popular. This time around, Obama lost North Carolina and Indiana. Florida and Virginia still to report. He gained all 4 of those states in 2008 to reach 365, he currently has a chance to get about 332 electoral votes if he were to win both florida and virginia (assuming Montana and Alaska report Romney)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

0012: The photo tweeted by Obama earlier this evening of him hugging First Lady Michelle Obama, as news of his re-election victory broke, has become the most popular tweet of all time just 22 minutes after it was posted, Buzzfeed reports. It's already been retweeted more than a quarter of a million times with upwards of 72,000 people marking it as a favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I think both parties benefit from the status quo.

I'd like to see electoral reform, however I'm not sure what the appetite for it is like in the US

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

Now Republicans know what it feels like to be robbed (but in a classy way). Gore had nearly Half a million votes over Bush. And we won't know the final popular vote tally for at least another day. So bit premature for Trump to be calling for revolution.

Romney is not ready to concede yet, obviously because of Ohio.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I don't really know but I don't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

anybody got links to watch the cnn coverage can u please pm me id like to watch, thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

meoklmrk91 wrote: »

Colorado just called for Obama, so even if Romney gets Ohio, Florida, and Virginia, he still can't catch Obama.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

Romney, concede already! Nothing left for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I reckon he's too busy scribbling down his concession speech. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Will.I.Am on now talking sh*te

Doing his absolute best to sound informed.

Ponster wrote: »
    I don't really know but I don't think so.

I also doubt it, I haven't heard any such proposals from either party. I cannot get my head around the logic of the Electoral College system - it seems deeply undemocratic to me. When voting for an individual, surely the votes of the people as a whole should be what matter.

Colorado just called for Obama, so even if Romney gets Ohio, Florida, and Virginia, he still can't catch Obama.

I know that, you know that, everyone else knows that but the bloody GOP is clutching at straws. The votes that are yet to be counted in Ohio are from urban areas, typically democratic. It's just getting rediculous now, like you said he can't catch him so why won't Romney just do the honerable thing and concede.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Romney never wrote a concession speech. Bit arrogant.

I'd say he's throwing furniture around, in tears.

"How dare they sack me!" "I MADE the BBC RNC!"

It's just getting rediculous now, like you said he can't catch him so why won't Romney just do the honerable thing and concede.

Ever heard of the "bitter end"? Some people concede quickly, others want to hold on until all the votes are counted, does it matter either way?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

When voting for an individual, surely the votes of the people as a whole should be what matter.

Take some time to read up on the history of the system but basically it was never intended that the people vote for the president but that the state does.

IMHO if the state electoral votes were divided based on how the people voted (proportional, like in Ireland) then it would be much more fair. Everyone would feel that that their vote would count no matter where they lived.

• Advertisement

Obama has passed Romney in the popular vote.

Advertisement