Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obama Vs Romney

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Min wrote: »
    I don't think sending drones into independent countries and to kill civilians is legal.
    Obama doesn't care, like the Germans in the 1930's he can talk and fool a lot of people.

Unlike Willard who talked a lot but didn't fool enough people?

As a matter of interest does Godwin's Law apply in AH?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Funglegunk wrote: »
    I see you've now Godwinned the thread. Great.

No I mentioned no leader, people can easily be fooled by politicians, like Irish people were with Bertie Ahern.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Funglegunk wrote: »
    I see you've now Godwinned the thread. Great.

The funny thing is Hitler has been mentioned twice and Nazis thrice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

No I mentioned no leader, people can easily be fooled by politicians, like Irish people were with Bertie Ahern.

Then why didn't you use Bertie to make your point?
    You specifically compared Obama to 'the Germans in the 1930's' - oooh, whoever could you mean? Could it be
    Hitler and the Nazis
    ?
    I think it is....

Godwin!

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Unlike Willard who talked a lot but didn't fool enough people?

They all have the same foreign policy as the Pentagon runs things, Obama kept Bush's defense secretary.

They all let the economy rot, Bush with the wars, Obama with the extra $6 trillion of new debt.
    If Mitt did work on the deficit it would be something, I have no hope for Obama. It is such a mess that maybe it can't be fixed.

They differ on social policy but not much difference in the overall picture.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I reckon Godwin had AH in mind when he came up with his law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

One thing that has to be said about last night's preceedings. In the hour or so before Obama came on to give his speech after the result became known, there was some awful awful dancing done by the crowd in Chicago

Then why didn't you use Bertie to make your point?
    You specifically compared Obama to 'the Germans in the 1930's' - oooh, whoever could you mean? Could it be
    Hitler and the Nazis
    ?
    I think it is....

Godwin!

Because I think we are heading for a much bigger disaster than our own.

Out of control debt.
    Russia and China are getting fed up of US aggression as seen with Syria.
    A war with Iran.

The recipe looks bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

The report says

"Drones hover twenty-four hours a day over north wester Pakistan, striking homes, vehicles and public spaces without warning.
    Their presence terrorises men, women and children, giving rise to anxiety and psychological trauma among civilian communities.

You do know there are plans for 30,000 drones to hover above the skies of the US for surveillance purposes?
    http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Use-of-drones-in-community-policing-unchartered-3981675.php

I'm glad you focused on the part where I just made fun of your poor phrasing over the part where I showed your understanding to be lacking perspective.

Lets me know what path I should taken when interacting with you in the future.

Also, did you know that the US and Pakistan are not the same place? It's amazing but true! AND THERE'S MORE! Did you know there's an difference between "surveillance" and drone strikes? And that your link doesn't say what you think it does?

It's an amazing world of learning, come be a part of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Gyalist wrote: »
    Friends in Dade County, Florida said they were eventually able to vote after midnight as the queues were so long. The attempts to suppress the Democratic vote in Florida really backfired on Republicans as it made them even more determined to vote. Many people who voted for the first time in 2008 weren't going to sit idly by and have their right to vote taken away. The same in Broward County. My friends in the Lauderhill area were really determined to vote.

My twin brother worked yesterday in OH for the Democratic GOTV. He lives in Wisconsin but when they realised last week that WI was safe he volunteered to go to OH. He says that people were really determined to get to the polls there too. The talk of an "enthusiasm gap" this year was just spin by the media to help to facilitate a lower turnout which would have helped the Republicans.

The GOP underestimated the media, internet news, forums and social media.

Many times they let the cat out of the bag and the story or quote was online in minutes, spreading like wildfire.

Remember Clint Eastwood arguing with the empty chair? Very soon after, (mins or hrs), the Obama team tweeted a photo of Barak, sitting in his chair in the White House. "This seat's taken"

Well played Obama, well played.

Not a hope of Romney doing anything similar. He avoided the internet, bad move.

Obama also did an AMA ( ask me anything) on reddit.com
    That site is HUGE, and his AMA was picked up Internet news sites, blogs, twitter, Facebook and forums such as this.

The spread of information in this age and also the spread of disinformation played its part in the GOP's loss. I rarely heard the word Romney without the word lies following closely. Same for that elusive whippersnapper, Ryan.

Basically, the GOP camp has papyrus, horses and bayonets when folks are using smartphones and iPads.

Congrats Obama. This is a win for Humanity! :)

• Advertisement

The funny thing is Hitler has been mentioned twice and Nazis thrice.

Triple Nazi's are the worst.

I'm glad you focused on the part where I just made fun of your poor phrasing over the part where I showed your understanding to be lacking perspective.

Lets me know what path I should taken when interacting with you in the future.

Also, did you know that the US and Pakistan are not the same place? It's amazing but true! AND THERE'S MORE! Did you know there's an difference between "surveillance" and drone strikes? And that your link doesn't say what you think it does?

It's an amazing world of learning, come be a part of it!

It shows it is easy to have a large number of drones, something you dismissed when it came to 24 hours a day of drones being overhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Whats going on with Florida?

Many times they let the cat out of the bag and the story or quote was online in minutes, spreading like wildfire.

Remember Clint Eastwood arguing with the empty chair? Very soon after, (mins or hrs), the Obama team tweeted a photo of Barak, sitting in his chair in the White House. "This seat's taken"

Not a hope of Romney doing anything similar. He avoided the internet, bad move.

Obama also did an AMA ( ask me anything) on reddit.com
    That site is HUGE, and his AMA was picked up Internet news sites, blogs, twitter, Facebook and forums such as this.

The spread of information in this age and also the spread of disinformation played its part in the GOP's loss. I rarely heard the word Romney without the word lies following closely. Same for that elusive whippersnapper, Ryan.

Basically, the GOP camp has papyrus, horses and bayonets when folks are using smartphones and iPads.

Congrats Obama. This is a win for Humanity! :)

I shouldn't laugh, neither was a win for humanity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

pithater1 wrote: »
    Whats going on with Florida?

Breakfast

It shows it is easy to have a large number of drones, something you dismissed when it came to 24 hours a day of drones being overhead.

No it doesn't!
    See, what it actually says is that
    the Federal Aviation Administration estimates that 30,000 drones could be flying by 2020

Which is wildly different to the "there are plans for 30,000 drones to hover above the skies of the US for surveillance purposes?" your claiming.

Estimates of the possible number != plans to have.
    Also, from the same article you keep citing without reading,
    Most drones have a brief flight time that would make them unsuitable for lengthy surveillance

It's gonna be hard to keep this myth alive if those pesky facts you keep supplying contradict you, isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Because I think we are heading for a much bigger disaster than our own.

Out of control debt.
    Russia and China are getting fed up of US aggression as seen with Syria.
    A war with Iran.

The recipe looks bad.

Romney wouldn't have sent troops anywhere. He feels for the soldiers. Didn't he holiday in Paris (pronounced Pareee) while his countrymen worked on their tan in Vietnam? Great guy is Willard.

He'll be out their with members of his cult baptising the corpses of US soldiers. I know it sounds weird, but it's what he believes.

I think we'll all miss him and Queen Anne.

No it doesn't!
    See, what it actually says is that

Which is wildly different to the "there are plans for 30,000 drones to hover above the skies of the US for surveillance purposes?" your claiming.

Estimates of the possible number != plans to have.
    Also, from the same article you keep citing without reading,

It's gonna be hard to keep this myth alive if those pesky facts you keep supplying contradict you, isn't it.

No.

You are making up the myths to believe so to keep your nice cuddly view of Obama.

One is it is possible to have a large number of drones.
    In war they do.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-19714959
    Pakistan's tribal region of Waziristan, constantly watched and regularly bombarded by U.S. military drones, has been called the most dangerous place on earth. The relentless assault exacts a huge psychological toll on the people who live there. The U.S. missile-attacks destroy militant training compounds and cars but they also hit mosques, homes, religious schools and civilian vehicles.
    I witnessed the fear, stress and depression this causes for the tribal communities on a visit to the region in May.
    The drones do not suddenly appear over the horizon, carry out the attack and leave. At any given time of the day, at least four are hovering in the sky, emitting a distinctive and menacing buzzing sound.
    They call them "mosquitoes."
    "Anybody who has been listening to the buzzing all through the day usually can't sleep at night," says Abdul Waheed, a tribesman in North Waziristan.

So they are there 24 hours a day - four at a time hovering overhead.

Romney wouldn't have sent troops anywhere. He feels for the soldiers. Didn't he holiday in Paris (pronounced Pareee) while his countrymen worked on their tan in Vietnam? Great guy is Willard.

He'll be out their with members of his cult baptising the corpses of US soldiers. I know it sounds weird, but it's what he believes.

I think we'll all miss him and Queen Anne.

But it is ok for people to be fooled by Obama and the false image he protrays?

No.

You are making up the myths to believe so to keep your nice cuddly view of Obama.

Yeah. That's exactly what's happening here, kid.
    Here's a task for you, how about you address something other than your fixation over how many drones are in the air at a given time (a mighty four!) Like, the massive decrease in civilian deaths when drones are used Vs the use of conventional ground troops?

Or would you rather just wrong your hands and keep ascribing your imagined positions to people who don't agree with your assessment on the use of drones.

Or explaining how "less shitty, but still shitty" is a "cuddly" view of any situation
    That'd be a proper Christmas miracle if you could pull it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

This is a win for Humanity! :)

LOL. It's amazing how many people peddle this rubbish. Obama probably the lesser of two evils but for crying out loud rein in the hyperbole.

Here's a task for you, how about you address something other than your fixation over how many drones are in the air at a given time (down from 30,000 to a mighty four!) Like, the massive decrease in civilian deaths when drones are used Vs the use of conventional ground troops?

Or would you rather just wrong your hands and keep ascribing your imagined positions to people who don't agree with your assessment on the use of drones.

Or explaining how "less shitty, but still shitty" is a "cuddly" view of any situation

It would be nice if you were not mixing up stuff, you said

Wait, so all of pakistan is constantly covered by drones 24/7
    That's an amazing number of drones!
    Almost impossible, even.

I didn't say all of pakistan, I said north west pakistan and it was 24 hours a day and you said impossible.

The BBC report said: The drones do not suddenly appear over the horizon, carry out the attack and leave. At any given time of the day, at least four are hovering in the sky.

You said impossible and chose to mix up the US and pakistan.
    The US was used to show a large number of drones are expected in the skies of the US by 2020. You didn't believe there could be large number of drones or they could be in the sky 24 hours a days.

You can try and keep the failed argument going but to remind you , you did say:

Almost impossible, even

You will see I never said all of pakistan either.

It would be nice if you were not mixing up stuff, you said

Almost impossible, even.

I didn't say all of pakistan, I said north west pakistan and it was 24 hours a day and you said impossible.

The BBC report said: The drones do not suddenly appear over the horizon, carry out the attack and leave. At any given time of the day, at least four are hovering in the sky.

You said impossible and chose to mix up the US and pakistan.
    The US was used to show a large number of drones are expected in the skies of the US by 2020. You didn't believe there could be large number of drones or they could be in the sky 24 hours a days.

You can try and keep the failed argument going but to remind you , you did say:

Almost impossible, even

You will see I never said all of pakistan either.

Right, so you've no interest in anything other than crying about how I was mean by making fun of your constant ducking away from anything other your fixation on the presence of drones - as opposed to their effect.

Excellent.
    Work away, feel free to come back when you feel like addressing something else.

Here's a task for you, how about you address something other than your fixation over how many drones are in the air at a given time (a mighty four!) Like, the massive decrease in civilian deaths when drones are used Vs the use of conventional ground troops?

You have been totally inaccurate with your assessment of drones.

You would have to wonder why protesters had to be kept away from Bush because of his war crimes and how the same people shut off their brains when it comes to the crimes of Obama, to the point they cheer the man who commits crimes against civilians and people still celebrate him.

You have been totally inaccurate with your assessment of drones.

Feel free to challenge the number or just continue being wrong.
    The choice is yours, kid.

You would have to wonder why protesters had to be kept away from Bush because of his war crimes and how the same people shut off their brains when it comes to the crimes of Obama, to the point they cheer the man who commits crimes against civilians and people still celebrate him.

Great, now if you'd like to show where I've done that, we can move on. Otherwise we can add this to the list of things your wrong about.

Right, so you've no interest in anything other than crying about how I was mean by making fun of your constant ducking away from anything other your fixation on the presence of drones - as opposed to their effect.

Excellent.
    Work away, feel free to come back when you feel like addressing something else.

The problem is you have been wrong about the drone attacks.
    You didn't want to believe they were present 24 hours a day, which leads to people being terrorised. Drones which are there based on Obama's kill list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Heli Drones (Fire Scout) are mostly scout drones they are very rarely equipped with weapons because the can only stay up for eight hours with them compared to 24 hours without

Its the 130mph Preditor/reaper/Hunter drones that carry out the attacks

That article you quoted isn't very accurate when it also says that spies plant microchips on targets

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Angrybastard

dizzywizlw wrote: »
    What are the rich conservatives policies?

Hmm;

Tax Cuts
    Deregulation
    Further inequality and Suffering for the poor
    Thinly veiled Racism and Active Zionism

Well put.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Yep, Obama's social media team is top notch. Also,the software that the GOTV teams use for the ground game is incredibly sophisticated. The GOP have nothing like it.

Romney avoided talk shows like Letterman, Jay Leno, etc. When he was supposed to be on The View he sent his wife instead.

• Advertisement

Feel free to challenge the number or just continue being wrong.
    The choice is yours, kid.

Great, now if you'd like to show where I've done that, we can move on. Otherwise we can add this to the list of things your wrong about.

So you know more than the BBC and the report from the US?

I didn't say you did that, but one can remember when Bush came and stayed in Clare and when Obama last year.
    When Obama just took Bush policies to a new level, war with Iran next...

Advertisement