Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obama Vs Romney

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It may be a little harder for the Republicans in 2016 :pac:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/07/politics/election-puerto-rico/index.html
    In an overshadowed Election Day contest, Puerto Ricans voted in favor of statehood in a nonbinding referendum, marking the first time such an initiative garnered a majority.
    The roughly 4 million residents of the Puerto Rico are American citizens but couldn't vote for president.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Any result in Florida???:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

seligehgit wrote: »
    Any result in Florida???:D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20257843

Still counting. I guess now that it doesn't matter they're taking their time over it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Nixon also had a dog who, according to Homer Simpson, is in hell with Hitlers dog :)

And one of the Lassies, the one that mauled Timmy!

Nixon's dog Checkers is probably the most famous of the White House pets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,539 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

My main reasons for supporting Obama are; Fox 'news', Rush Limbaugh, Mitt Romney, Anne Coulter, Andrew Breitbart, Anne Romney, Mitch McConnell, Palin, Bachmann, Santorum, Gingrich, Ted Nugent, The Tea Party, Trump, Akin, Mourdock, Boehner, Christine O'Donnell and D'Souza. Can't think of any more right now.

There seems to be a right little feud going on between Trump and Obama, this is well worth a watch. Obama takes the piss out of Trump and trump in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Gintonious wrote: »

What a load of sh1te. Excuse the cynic in me but his crying act is pure political mind game bullsh1t fed to him by his advisers, a form of propaganda if you will.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

It may be a little harder for the Republicans in 2016 :pac:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/07/politics/election-puerto-rico/index.html

Hispanics have had a very rough time under Obama. There has never been so many deportations as under his watch. Hispanics have deeply mixed feelings towards him. Once the Republicans decide to reach out to that demographic voters will jump very readily. They share a great deal of values.

• Advertisement

woodoo wrote: »
    There seems to be a right little feud going on between Trump and Obama, this is well worth a watch. Obama takes the piss out of Trump and trump in the room.

Thanks a lot woodoo,absolutely brilliant!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,215 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

phoenix999 wrote: »
    What's up with Florida? Known con man as a Governor, can't seem to run an election, and now electing dead candidates ;)

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/07/15000714-dead-candidates-win-elections-in-florida-alabama?lite
    "It is a touchy situation. When you are running against a dead man, you are limited as to what you can say," Sansing told Reuters.
    lol.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

robp wrote: »
    Hispanics have had a very rough time under Obama. There has never been so many deportations as under his watch. Hispanics have deeply mixed feelings towards him. Once the Republicans decide to reach out to that demographic voters will jump very readily. They share a great deal of values.
    Yes illegal immigrants are more likely to be male, conservative and religious but unfortunately they are not WASP's.

Yes it could happen, just can't see it happening.

First thing they have to stop scaring away voters.

And don't forget that a lot of the electorate will also vote on local issues and have no problem with some republicans in the house

Yes illegal immigrants are more likely to be male, conservative and religious but unfortunately they are not WASP's.

Yes it could happen, just can't see it happening.

First thing they have to stop scaring away voters.

And don't forget that a lot of the electorate will also vote on local issues and have no problem with some republicans in the house

I think the whole WASP thing is becoming more and more obsolete. Most religious non-protestants have more in common with religious protestants than any other group. Neither Romney or Ryan are WASPs. Indeed Hillary Clinton and many other senior democrats are. Obama almost is, except for his Kenyan father. He isn't exactly African American in core sense.
    I think its very likely that as more and more Hispanics integrate fully into Americans they will end up republican. Maybe that seems odd to some but far stranger things have happened.

On a side note according to CNN Obama lost the white vote by 20%, including the white female by 14%. That is a surprising fact.

• Site Banned Posts: 7 house_speaker

What a load of sh1te. Excuse the cynic in me but his crying act is pure political mind game bullsh1t fed to him by his advisers, a form of propaganda if you will.

ive seen berties crocodile tears so i know a phoney when i see one , i think obama is being genuine in that clip , its not at all contrived when you consider obama does have a reputation for being a bit of a cold fish , if it was someone like tony blair , id peg eggs at his ham performance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I think its very likely that as more and more Hispanics integrate fully into Americans they will end up republican. Maybe that seems odd to some but far stranger things have happened.
    Not an impossible scenario, I think Cuban immigrants tend to vote predominantly Republican. But yes, stranger things have happened - I mean who would have imagined a black president coming from the old anti-abolitionist party

As for the WASP thing disappearing, not quite yet. A large part of Romney's popularity amongst certain voters was that he fitted more of their desired criteria

He was white, probable anglo-saxon heritage (not protestant) AND a man (3/4)
    Obama was (not white), (not anglo saxon), protestant AND a man (2/4)

That said the next Rep president will probably be an African-American/Hispanic, atheist woman!

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Not an impossible scenario, I think Cuban immigrants tend to vote predominantly Republican. But yes, stranger things have happened - I mean who would have imagined a black president coming from the old anti-abolitionist party

As for the WASP thing disappearing, not quite yet. A large part of Romney's popularity amongst certain voters was that he fitted more of their desired criteria

He was white, probable anglo-saxon heritage (not protestant) AND a man (3/4)
    Obama was (not white), (not anglo saxon), protestant AND a man (2/4)

That said the next Rep president will probably be an African-American/Hispanic, atheist woman!

Being Anglo-Saxon is more about about perceptions. Romney may fit the bill as Anglo-Saxon as he has English roots but so does Obama. Infact Obama probably has none less. Maybe its just skin pigmentation that distinguishes the two. Socio-culturally Obama is very WASP. I am not sure about atheist republican candidates but at least I am certain we will see Hispanic nominations for the Republican candidacy like Marco Rubio. We already have had very senior African-Americans republicans in cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Maybe its just skin pigmentation that distinguishes the two. Socio-culturally Obama is very WASP. I am not sure about atheist republican candidates but at least I am certain we will see Hispanic nominations for the Republican candidacy like Marco Rubio. We already have had very senior African-Americans republicans in cabinet.
    Skin-pigmentation and name. Quite a lot is made in America from being able to trace a family dynasty back a few generations - the surname is rather important in that respects.

The atheist comment was a joke - I think it's as likely as a Muslim republican candidate! But well who knows in 50 years?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

woodoo wrote: »

Hilarious video of Seth Myers roasting Trump.

Look out for the Gary Busey, bird cage joke. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/aug/10/american-principles-action/has-barack-obama-deported-more-people-any-other-pr/

Half-truth.

Plus Obama introduced laws protecting children of illegals so they can finish college without fear of deportations.

Arizona has also been busy with deportations and wanted the right to do it themselves without having to turn over to ICE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,988 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Are they cloning Lincoln then?
    Lincoln was far too much of a Leftie for today's Republicans. Politically, the Democrats are now where the Republicans used to be, and the Republicans are far Right by global standards. There is no real Left in US Politics.

Besides, Lincoln would never be selected as a candidate these days. He was too tall (6'4"), kinda funny-lookin', and had an odd high-pitched voice with a country accent. An article in the Smithsonian magazine suggests that actor Sam Waterston came close to getting the voice right:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

At the end of Campaign. Obama cried and Romney cut the credit cards of staff before the Taxi ride home.
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/11/09/two-campaigns/

MadsL wrote: »
    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/aug/10/american-principles-action/has-barack-obama-deported-more-people-any-other-pr/

Half-truth.

Plus Obama introduced laws protecting children of illegals so they can finish college without fear of deportations.

Arizona has also been busy with deportations and wanted the right to do it themselves without having to turn over to ICE.

Its fair to say Romney might be worse but nonetheless under Obama there has been a very hardline approach especially if you consider what it once was like.

Lollers wrote: »
    Romney cut the credit cards of staff before the Taxi ride home.
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/11/09/two-campaigns/
    That's standard practice.
    The crew of the Titanic were only paid until the exact time the ship went under.

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    I can't see Rice wining against Hillary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭positron

I thought next republican candidate for presidency would be Jeb Bush - married to a Hispanic, speaks Spanish etc, and supposedly a moderate Bush, but to be honest I already hate him for that last name!

Always been a huge admirer of Obama, and I am so glad America got right again this time. I hated American admin when GW Bush declared me as their enemy with all that "if you are not with us, you are against us" crap talk. Thank f*ck Americans are keeping his type out of office, for now.

I think the whole WASP thing is becoming more and more obsolete. Most religious non-protestants have more in common with religious protestants than any other group. Neither Romney or Ryan are WASPs. Indeed Hillary Clinton and many other senior democrats are. Obama almost is, except for his Kenyan father. He isn't exactly African American in core sense.

On a side note according to CNN Obama lost the white vote by 20%, including the white female by 14%. That is a surprising fact.
    http://www.pewforum.org/Politics-and-Elections/How-the-Faithful-Voted-2012-Preliminary-Exit-Poll-Analysis.aspx

Hispanic Catholic 21% for Romney.

White Catholic is 59% - (which is close to the non-evangical Protestant so religion may not be the issue)

Hardly surprising that a black president lost some of the white vote to a party that gains almost all it's support from the white vote.

Republican vote is higher than average if male, rural , WASP ish ness , older , pick any demographic other than male where republicans dominate and it's a shrinking demographic. Small town America was wiped out by big business and government funds are more important than ever.

"The Rape guy lost" "Which one?" Your party has serious issues if people have to ask "Which one?" #GOP #itstheTwentyFirstCentury

positron wrote: »
    I thought next republican candidate for presidency would be Jeb Bush - married to a Hispanic, speaks Spanish etc, and supposedly a moderate Bush, but to be honest I already hate him for that last name!

Always been a huge admirer of Obama, and I am so glad America got right again this time. I hated American admin when GW Bush declared me as their enemy with all that "if you are not with us, you are against us" crap talk. Thank f*ck Americans are keeping his type out of office, for now.

Surely the American electorate will not elect a third member of the Bush dynasty!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭positron

I hope so too. But right now the only other sure fire candidate Republicans would be hoping for, other than Jeb Bush, would be Arnold Schwarzenegger, and with his biography out and all recently, I have a feeling that he's going to give it a go. Also he will claim to be able to relate to the immigrants being an immigrant himself, with a complete rags to riches / american dream story to sell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

seligehgit wrote: »
    Surely the American electorate will not elect a third member of the Bush dynasty!:eek:

Interestingly, this election was the first since 1976 in which neither a Bush or Clinton was involved (Hillary in the primaries last time). To put it another way, there are 53 year old Americans walking around who never had a chance to vote in a presidential race without those families until this week.

Advertisement