Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obama Vs Romney

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

robman60 wrote: »
    I'd like to see Romney win, although I'd have favoured Ron Paul, but he was never really going to win the nomination.

It seems increasingly unlikely, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I'm with you on that one, Paul would always be my favourite choice for President but he doesn't stand a chance of ever getting near the White House, so Romney it'll have to be...

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

stannis wrote: »
    I'm with you on that one, Paul would always be my favourite choice for President but he doesn't stand a chance of ever getting near the White House, so Romney it'll have to be...

really? i would have preferred ron paul myself, but i certainly wouldn't settle for romney as a substitute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

geetar wrote: »
    really? i would have preferred ron paul myself, but i certainly wouldn't settle for romney as a substitute.

Well if the alternatives to Ron Paul are Obama or Romney, I'd pick Romney any day of the week.

Also, I say this video recently from Ron Paul's election campaign in 1988 as a libertarian. It's shameful the way he was treated.

It's unfortunate that it looks as if we're going to face another four years of praise and Nobel prizes for Obama for delving the US into ever increasing debt...

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

It's unfortunate that it looks as if we're going to face another four years of praise and Nobel prizes for Obama for delving the US into ever increasing debt...

i would counter that romneys tax plans would simply worsen americas debt unimmaginably. he plans on spending a further 2 trillion on military budgets, even though all leading officials say they dont need it, nor want it.

i cant agree that tax cuts across the board, and especially for the upper class, is the answer to the USA's problems either.

Obama's economic policy is infinitely more credible then Romneys, and in reality thats the only issue that will directly affect us. ive never been a fan of over inflating what obama has done, and he's due criticism, however he seems to be turning the US economy around already.

whoever wins the next election will get the credit for the US's economic recovery, even though i believe Obama has ignited it already.

geetar wrote: »
    i would counter that romneys tax plans would simply worsen americas debt unimmaginably. he plans on spending a further 2 trillion on military budgets, even though all leading officials say they dont need it, nor want it.

i cant agree that tax cuts across the board, and especially for the upper class, is the answer to the USA's problems either.

Obama's economic policy is infinitely more credible then Romneys, and in reality thats the only issue that will directly affect us. ive never been a fan of over inflating what obama has done, and he's due criticism, however he seems to be turning the US economy around already.

whoever wins the next election will get the credit for the US's economic recovery, even though i believe Obama has ignited it already.
    Increased military spending is something I strongly disagree with, which is why I would have favoured Ron Paul. I believe in an anti-interventionist policy, but I still favour Romney's overall vision for America.

Obama's hardly turned the economy around. He's added more than a trillion to national debt each year he's been in office.

Obama's social policies are what really deter me from him. Personally, I believe his policies are leading to increased social deterioration, but that's down to my social vision and personal opinion I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Can I point people here towards John Green's video on US debt, where it comes from and who owns it?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

Increased military spending is something I strongly disagree with, which is why I would have favoured Ron Paul. I believe in an anti-interventionist policy, but I still favour Romney's overall vision for America.

Ditto here, just because someone is a conservative it doesn't necessarily mean they support bloated military spending and "adventures" in the Middle East. Indeed I'd say a true "conservative" should be opposed to those supposedly humanitarian interventions.

I read an article recently about some (alleged) financial experts who tried to simulate the effects of both Obama's and Romney's budget plans. The results were not actually so different - but they did say that while Romney's spending cuts will cause more pain in the short term, healthy economic growth would return a bit faster than under Obama.

So what would you do? Abstain?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

but I still favour Romney's overall vision for America.

i laughed at this.

i mighten agree with obamas plans but at least he has a plan that makes some sence

Romney doesn't have any plan full stop

I favour someone with some sort of plan than effectivly 'winging it' and always conterdicting himself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Irish people supporting Romney. Jesus christ. At least his deep south American supporters have the excuse of multi generational inbreeding and incurable tradition of racism to excuse backing him.

Irish people supporting Romney. Jesus christ. At least his deep south American supporters have the excuse of multi generational inbreeding and incurable tradition of racism to excuse backing him.

White person votes for Romney = racist. 95% of black people vote for Obama, = not racist.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

Bill Maher gets my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

Why do you suppose Romney has the support of the deep south? You suppose that is the case because they wouldn't support a black man? Actually Obama is bi racial. Is it because of Romney's religious beliefs? Romney is Mormon, not a favored religion in the south. You cite inbreeding and racism as a problem of the South? I don't think either of those two problems are limited to the South or even to the U.S.

White person votes for Romney = racist. 95% of black people vote for Obama, = not racist.
    Agreed. People only see racism from one side.
    i laughed at this.

i mighten agree with obamas plans but at least he has a plan that makes some sence

Romney doesn't have any plan full stop

I favour someone with some sort of plan than effectivly 'winging it' and always conterdicting himself
    You laughed at my post? Your post is barely distinguishable as English.

Romney's economic plan is pretty clear, and I believe it's the better option for businesses, small and large, thus creating jobs.

He's not always contradicting himself either. For example, surely someone's entitled to change an opinion they had 10 years ago or something. His views aren't as constant as I'd like though, and I don't think he's an excellent candidate by any means, rather just better than Obama.

Sorry for expressing my opinion. I'm not racist and I don't believe Romney is either. Supporting more stringent immigration laws does not make you a racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Will definitely stay up to watch it.

I was in Millenium Park in Chicago when Obama was elected in 2008. The atmosphere was electrifying.

Obama FTW

Any person voes for Romney= should not be allowed a vote.

Honestly, race aside, if a voter believes Romney is the anwser to a better America, and refuses to concede that Obama has only failed because the house GOP will not play ball, and even despite that he has had limited success in getting the US on the right track and will continue to do so, if one cannot see that, one should not be allowed a vote, it really is that simple. Romney is a classist and a proven liar, a completely contemptous capitalist gangster. His food drive for the hurricane was cringe worthy, as if he gives a flying fcuk about any of those in need. If I was in NYC and had not been able to access food or water for days I would sooner go hungry than accept donations from that two faed kunt.

EZ24GET wrote: »
    Why do you suppose Romney has the support of the deep south? You suppose that is the case because they wouldn't support a black man? Actually Obama is bi racial. Is it because of Romney's religious beliefs? Romney is Mormon, not a favored religion in the south. You cite inbreeding and racism as a problem of the South? I don't think either of those two problems are limited to the South or even to the U.S.

One voter asked who they would prefer said "rather a Mormon than a Muslim".

This is the level of intellect we are dealing with here. As said before, even with George W, he was naive and badly advised but I honestly do believe he usually did what he thought was the right thing. But people like Romney and Sarah Palin are quite simply devillish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Hate the way Republican commentators always harp on about how Romney liked cooperation and how he worked successfully with an 83% Democratic legislature. I would guess that job would be easier working with moderate people who can be reasoned with. Obama had no such luck with intransigent bitter Congressional Republicans. All he got was 'No No No'.

One voter asked who they would prefer said "rather a Mormon than a Muslim".

This is the level of intellect we are dealing with here. As said before, even with George W, he was naive and badly advised but I honestly do believe he usually did what he thought was the right thing. But people like Romney and Sarah Palin are quite simply devillish.

Quote one obvious idiot and deem him representative of millions, that's simply moronic. Ted Bundy lacked remorse, that leads me to the conclusion that whites don't show remorse! Do you not see your logic as flawed? There are dumb people supporting both sides, that's a fact of life. Don't be so naive to think sub-par intelligence is representative of all supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

I would like it much better if people were not so blind to the truth. I would like it if they were better informed. I would also like it if I had a better choice, but since Obama is not a Muslim and as far as I can see has done nothing to make anyone think he is and Romney is a Mormon on the religious basis I would be voting for Obama.
    I also believe Romney is out of touch, not because of the media but because of his statements. I believe it is important to the U.S. to have a strong middle class. I believe it (the middle class) has been the backbone of the country. I do not see a need to insult anyone who doesn't agree with me.

• Advertisement

Quote one obvious idiot and deem him representative of millions, that's simply moronic. Don't be so naive to think sub-par intelligence is representative of all supporters.

OK, take a look at the more high profile Romney supporters.

We could pick Donald Trump, who has been claiming for years that he is on the verge of exposing Obamas place of birth. He may be wealthy, he may be a good businessman, but he is a complete idiot.

Or we could pick Dave Mustaine of Megadeth. He claimed, on stage, that Obama had staged the Aurora and Sikh temple shootings o push through anti gun legislation :pac:

Or Clint Eastwood. Great actor, great director, sad to say he might be losing it a bit as age catches up on him.

They are three in the public eye. God knows how many more like them there are out there. It is an important point to remember that a great deal of people do not wnt to vote for him because they still believe he was born abroad or is muslim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

It's funny how they have started to partially rely on celebrity endorsement for votes . Mitt Romney and Montgomery burns. I wonder how much that set him back

Nobody presents plain facts like Bill Clinton:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    It's funny how they have started to partially rely on celebrity endorsement for votes . Mitt Romney and Montgomery burns. I wonder how much that set him back

Don't forget he's got Joss Whedon's backing too. :pac:

Any person voes for Romney= should not be allowed a vote.

Honestly, race aside, if a voter believes Romney is the anwser to a better America, and refuses to concede that Obama has only failed because the house GOP will not play ball, and even despite that he has had limited success in getting the US on the right track and will continue to do so, if one cannot see that, one should not be allowed a vote, it really is that simple. Romney is a classist and a proven liar, a completely contemptous capitalist gangster. His food drive for the hurricane was cringe worthy, as if he gives a flying fcuk about any of those in need. If I was in NYC and had not been able to access food or water for days I would sooner go hungry than accept donations from that two faed kunt.

Of course Obama supporters are all MENSA members.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

pmcmahon wrote: »
    I'll watch ohio and then go to bed.

In fairness, that's probably as far as anyone needs to stay up.

I won't be staying up. If there's a result by bedtime, so be it. Whoever wins, I have to go to work in the morning. Honestly, I am far more worried by whether or not Prop 30 or 38 passes in the California referendum. It's far more important to me, and I'm not being facaetious.

Of course Obama supporters are all MENSA members.

If you are seriously using one clip to argue that Obama supporters are equally of as low intellect than most people who would vote for Romney I refuse to partake in this debate any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 EllenD

Did anyone notice how during the each presidential debate Romney barely commented and pretty much avoided any direct answers(to most things) but in particular our environment and plans for sustainable energy etc.......how can these issues not be top of the list?we are going to go through some serious changes in the next couple of years, some one who doesn't give **** about this should NOT be appointed one of the most influential people in the world.

If you are seriously using one clip to argue that Obama supporters are equally of as low intellect than most people who would vote for Romney I refuse to partake in this debate any more.

Cool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Don't forget he's got Joss Whedon's backing too. :pac:
    God yes, I think that was the best celebrity "endorsement" video I've seen :D

Advertisement