Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obama Vs Romney

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Which one called us a "tax haven"?

Clue: It wasn't Romney.

Well........ we are, aren't we?

K3lso wrote: »
    There was only one man in that race fit to be the President of the United States of America: Ron Paul.
    K3lso wrote: »
    Johnson 2012!!!!!

Bit of a contradiction, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Mark200 wrote: »
    Well........ we are, aren't we?

No, we're not actually. Parts of certain countries in Europe pay much less, and in some cases no corporation tax.

If I had a vote it would go to Romney, he's the better business head. A strong outward looking American economy is good for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

phoenix999 wrote: »
    Maybe we could copy the Egyptian Copts: blindfold a child and get him to pick the name of the next President?

http://www.goddiscussion.com/103539/blindfolded-child-to-select-egypts-next-coptic-pope/[\URL]

Yes but not enough pizazz for the media there. Everyone eligible to vote must put their name in the running. Then they could station reporters everywhere and be ready to tear into the new president, who of course wouldn't be ready for this. They never win anything why would they prepare? Then we could enjoy all the dirt on the future pres until January, could be like one of those reality shows we see too many of. It might be fun, or at least more fun than years of being subjected to lies and finger pointing on all sides. I say outlaw political ads.
    Thankfully it will be over tomorrow, or will it????????:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭K3lso

Mark200 wrote: »

Bit of a contradiction, no?

No, both are Libertarians. I prefer Ron Paul but Johnson will do at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Just switched to Fox News.... Dick Morris (Former Advisor to president Clinton) - "Romney will win by absolute landslide" :eek: that would be a major shock!

• Advertisement

Fox news is about as biased as they get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

irishfeen wrote: »
    Just switched to Fox News.... Dick Morris (Former Advisor to president Clinton) - "Romney will win by absolute landslide" :eek: that would be a major shock!

It's getting silly now, Jim Cramer (of CNBC fame) has predicted that Obama will sweep the electoral college, winning 440 votes to Romney's 98!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

Just watched this exchange on TV:

Channel 4 news reporter: Why are you voting for Romney?

Republican voter: Coz Obama wants to ban assault weapons. We have two AR-15s at home for defence.

Who are they expecting to attack them, Al Qaeda?

EZ24GET wrote: »
    Fox news is about as biased as they get.

I know that but what I thought was strange was that it was a prediction from a former Democratic advisor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The #romneydeathrally hashtag on Twitter has become the only political news I need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Romney: "Elect ME, and there will be loads of jobs, gum drop rainbows and kittens."

Reporter: "How will you do it?"

Romney: "Just trust me." (fake-grin-mode initiated)

His 5 point plan.

1.No tax returns, unlike his father George. (Mitt pays between 0 and 13.9% tax)
    2.No details on which loopholes and deductions he will remove. (presumably none)
    3.Extra $2 Trillion towards defence. (which the Pentagon isn't even asking for)
    4.Policy of trickle down economics, favouring the wealthy 'job creators. (consumers are the real job creators)
    5.Wear magic mormon underpants.
    Done!

Watch the jobs roll in. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I know that but what I thought was strange was that it was a prediction from a former Democratic advisor.

Not really, he appears to be rather right wing even as an advisor and particularly critical of Clintons. A prediction from him in 2008 on Obama's chance of being elected in 2008.
    Morris dismissed Sen. Barack Obama’s chances of winning the presidency, saying he is the "best thing that’s ever happened to Hillary Clinton. Because he can’t win. You think about the guy for five minutes and you’re not gonna vote for him.”
    http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2006/12/19/104142.shtml?s=al&promo_code=2B2E-1
    Fox News pundits say what they want to hear.

they seem to have had a falling out some time back.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Morris

He's always been aligned with the Republicans although he did do some work for Bill Clinton - something Clinton took a lot of flak for at the time.

Just watched this exchange on TV:

Channel 4 news reporter: Why are you voting for Romney?

Republican voter: Coz Obama wants to ban assault weapons. We have two AR-15s at home for defence.

Limey redcoats. They haven't gone away you know.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

OMG I knew federal employees weren't very sharp, but that is just pathetic.
    Maybe we should just flip a coin or draw straws? Or maybe an
    Elephant/ donkey race? Obama can poke the donkey with a stick and Mitt can get right up behind the elephant with his stick, we'll see which animal crosses the finish line first.

Given that the election system in the US is considered by most cynics to be a bit of a farce anyway (Who ever votes for who they really want, as opposed to the lesser evil?) if you don't much care which of the two get in, why not make a fun tradition out of it?

They're actually very useful for dealing with burglars as well. Although popular opinion is that shotguns are the preferred weapon, that doesn't actually make them the best choice for people that know their way around a firearm.

In any case, be it for defence or hunting, AR-15s are the most popularly sold centrefire rifle platform in the US for a reason, and they are the poster-child for the gun control lobby. Until very recently, Obama was being very smart by shutting up about it, but he opened himself up about two weeks ago.

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Not really, he appears to be rather right wing even as an advisor and particularly critical of Clintons. A prediction from him in 2008 on Obama's chance of being elected in 2008.

Fox News pundits say what they want to hear.
    they seem to have had a falling out some time back.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Morris

Ah OK didn't realise he might have been somewhat bias, It does seem mightily close though from all the US television network polls.

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    It's getting silly now, Jim Cramer (of CNBC fame) has predicted that Obama will sweep the electoral college, winning 440 votes to Romney's 98!

The Obama campaign, needs to be careful about filling their supporters with undue confidence. They need to ensure the voters that their vote counts. Complacency is undesirable. "Ah, he's gonna win anyway, whether I vote or not."

In this light, Dick Morris' words could be the kick up the a*se the Dem supporters and Obama need.

Likewise for the Romney camp.

The Obama campaign, needs to be careful about filling their supporters with undue confidence. They need to ensure the voters that their vote counts. Complacency is undesirable. "Ah, he's gonna win anyway, whether I vote or not."

Likewise for the Romney camp.

Got a photo through Facebook, of a US Army helicopter pilot holding up his ballot sheet sitting in his aircraft's cockpit in Afghanistan. The caption was akin to "If I can vote out here, you can damned well get off your ass and vote at home. We're defending your right to vote, so do it"

Turnout rates in the US always have disappointed me.

Given that the election system in the US is considered by most cynics to be a bit of a farce anyway (Who ever votes for who they really want, as opposed to the lesser evil?) if you don't much care which of the two get in, why not make a fun tradition out of it?

They're actually very useful for dealing with burglars as well. Although popular opinion is that shotguns are the preferred weapon, that doesn't actually make them the best choice for people that know their way around a firearm.

In any case, be it for defence or hunting, AR-15s are the most popularly sold centrefire rifle platform in the US for a reason, and they are the poster-child for the gun control lobby. Until very recently, Obama was being very smart by shutting up about it, but he opened himself up about two weeks ago.

We all avoid the issue but there are a minority of gun owners who believe they will at some point have to protect themselves and their property from their own military in the event the government fails. I know this is a minority, but this group seems to be growing. Most gun owners don't think this way but I've talked to some otherwise sane people who believe the government will fail. They have stock piles of ammo and food and water too.
    What do you hunt with assault rifles? Men?

• Advertisement

Well, I guess you can, but it's not usually a legal use barring the zombie apocalypse or some other total failure of orderly society.

Generally speaking, varmints are a popular target, such as rabbits, coyotes, foxes, anything which doesn't require a more powerful round. That said, it is possible to swap out the upper of an AR15 to shoot larger targets such as deer, boar and hogs. (In some states the 5.56mm is considered too small for deer and a larger round is mandated: Interestingly, this means that AK-47s may be legal where basic AR-15s are not: Both are based on assault rifles, but the legislation usually doesn't reference power of the cartridge, just calibre)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Lollers wrote: »
    48 hrs tomorrow it will be an Obama win. What say you ?.

Hopefully not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Will be hoping for a Romney win, for the lulz.

Imagine the leader of the free world being named after a glove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Lollers wrote: »
    48 hrs tomorrow it will be an Obama win, say media .What say you ?.

Obama has it I think. But I really hope Romney can pull it off....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Its funny.

I use the xbox 360 youtube app and for the last few weeks there have been loads of pro-obama videos in the "trending" section. Think i've only seen one pro romney video.

Well, I guess you can, but it's not usually a legal use barring the zombie apocalypse or some other total failure of orderly society.

Republicans are terrified that the gubment is gonna come after them. And if they do, Vern and Earl will be ready with a pick-up truck and their AK's. "Yeeehaw!" The US military doesn't stand a chance.

steve9859 wrote: »
    Obama has it I think. But I really hope Romney can pull it off....

You mustn't like Americans. I wouldn't wish Romney on the Swiss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

You mustn't like Americans. I wouldn't wish Romney on the Swiss.

No, I love Americans. I lived there for a good while. In new York for a couple of years, and a year in Asheville, NC. Have a lot of friends there, and head over at least twice a year. I would like to see a business friendly president who isn't a fiscal disaster zone....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

for context - Dick Morris has more history as a Fox pundit than as a former Democratic advisor at this stage. He is a self described Republican voter.
    There is even an "award" named in his honour, given annually, for "stunningly wrong political, social and cultural predictions."
    I haven't followed it all that closely, but he's the only one I've seen calling a landslide for Romney, so I'd take it with a pinch of salt

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

steve9859 wrote: »

No, I love Americans. I lived there for a good while. In new York for a couple of years, and a year in Asheville, NC. Have a lot of friends there, and head over at least twice a year. I would like to see a business friendly president who isn't a fiscal disaster zone....

And we all know Romneys grand fiscal plan....Fantasy maths.

Advertisement