Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I return these....

Options
  • 01-11-2012 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

I bought a pair of trousers last weekend. Tried them on in changing room and they fitted well, they were comfortable. I dire them out sat night. Now I noticed a slight eritation throughout the night on my inner thighs but put it to tbr back of my mind as I was out.

On Sunday I noticed that there was raw patches of skin on my inner thigh where the stitching had scratched my skin. It is bright red. I checked the stitching and it is very coarse and rough. The thread used is not a fabric type like cotton.

As these trousers are causing me discomfort which I should state was not obvious when I tried them on in the store am I entitled to return them for a refund?

Cheers

frAG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭macsauce

Where did you get them? Many shops will have a refund policy so they should accept it. In any these trousers seem unfit for purpose so you should at the very least be offered credit in store. You did however have an opportunity to try them on and the shop may use that to deny you a refund.

Take a picture of the irritation it caused you and then go in and get stroppy if they don't. For the people that will inevitably say that doesn't help it really does. Having worked in retail management i know a manager can always use his discretion to reverse policy and the excuse that the till wont allow it is just plain wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I did try them on but the irritation did not become apparent until I was walking in them later that evening. I bought them in Dublin but can't return them until next week. Il call them tomorrow and see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

frag420 wrote: »
    Il call them tomorrow and see what they say.

Usually the best course of action; and then come on Boards if their response doesn't seem right. Nobody can really second guess their reaction.

Well I called and only got speaking to assistant as mngr was out. He said bring them back and they " will see what they can do for you"!!

Am I right in thinking that at they are causing uncomfort and more importantly chaffing/marks on my skin that I should be entitled to my money back?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

You would be entitled to a refund if they are faulty. If they are just not suitable for you then you will have to rely on the good will of the store to refund or exchange the item.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You will be entitled to a replacement. Not sure you are entitled to a refund?

True! The retailer can offer Repair, Replace or Refund. Most reputable clothing retailers would let the customer choose between refund/replace. What I was badly trying to say was that if the trousers are just not suitable for the OP then their are no options legally.

They are unsuitable as they are leaving markes on my legs, similar to sunburn I guess which I would assume they are not fit for purpose.

Just being not suitable for you does not make them not fit for purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭SPQRI

01902 wrote: »

It's a woman! :eek:

• Advertisement

01902 wrote: »

Well they are not fit for my purpose which like everyone else is to wear them in comfort and have the skin on my leg rubbed raw!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Well they are not fit for my purpose which like everyone else is to wear them in comfort and have the skin on my leg rubbed raw!!

But the same can be said for shoes that fit when tried on in a shop and when worn out can cause blisters, bleeding heels etc.

Out of interest have you tried washing them to see if it makes any difference?

No I haven't washed them. Prob not a good Idea if I want to return them.

No I haven't washed them. Prob not a good Idea if I want to return them.

But you've worn them so they're not saleable condition anyway. If there is a genuine fault it doesn't matter whether they are washed or not. At least it's something you can say to the retailer that you made an effort to make them wearable for you.

From an ex retailers point of view there's nothing worse than customers returning soiled faulty goods because they thought they wouldn't get anywhere if they washed them. Not saying your trousers are dirty but you would not believe some of the things I've seen:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Maybe you need a larger size?

Not being smart but is the problem just that they dont fit you?

The size is perfect and there is not a mark on them, they are spotless. I had a google and apparently carhartt pants need a few washes to break them in as they can be stiff and the stitching is treated to strengthen them. Not sure what to do now?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,998 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The size is perfect and there is not a mark on them, they are spotless. I had a google and apparently carhartt pants need a few washes to break them in as they can be stiff and the stitching is treated to strengthen them. Not sure what to do now?

Carhatt are workwear, so they are made tough. I'd try washing them a couple of times in a row and then wear them for a while. If they still cause an irritation bring them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭MusicalMelody

I have worked in retail for years. You are entitled to a refund if you so wish, even though you have worn them most policies are that they cannot be returned if washed. Is the stitching on that particular part different to the stitching on the rest of the leg? Maybe it is sewn wrong especially if you are not prone to sensitive skin, just go back to the shop with the trousers and receipt and tell them the problem and that you would like a refund. As long as its not washed or was a sale item there shouldn't really be a problem in getting a refund.

I have worked in retail for years. You are entitled to a refund if you so wish, even though you have worn them most policies are that they cannot be returned if washed. Is the stitching on that particular part different to the stitching on the rest of the leg? Maybe it is sewn wrong especially if you are not prone to sensitive skin, just go back to the shop with the trousers and receipt and tell them the problem and that you would like a refund. As long as its not washed or was a sale item there shouldn't really be a problem in getting a refund.

Completely incorrect advice. Sounds like a bit of a cowboy operation where you may have worked if you won't give a refund on a faulty item if it was washed or in sale:rolleyes:

If an item is faulty the retailer can choose 3 courses of action, repair, replace or refund. It makes not a shred of difference if the item is washed - unless the fault is due to not following the washing instructions correctly. Where a fault may occur with stitching/seams, it has no bearing whatsoever.

As has been stated, with a bit of internet research it seems that the particular brand of clothing should be washed to soften the stitching.

Also the law would say that even if you have never worn the item and you just change your mind or it is not suitable for you, you have no legal right to anything at all. The only time you have any legal rights to a return is if the item is faulty, washed or not.

• Advertisement

I see today's Metro Herald have robbed my consumer issue for their consumer page except they changed it to a shirt!! Cheeky gits!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

They hardly said that a shirt was causing irritation to your inner thighs did they?? :O

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - please do not go off topic. Leave the newspaper issue out of it.

dudara

Advertisement