Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lumia 920 or Nexus 4

Options
  • 01-11-2012 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

I'm planning on replacing my iphone 4 with either the Nexus 4 or the Lumia 920.

I already have the Nexus 7 and really like the vanilla android however my laptop which I use primarily for work purposes is on it's last legs and I'm thinking that if I replace my laptop with a Windows 8 surface tablet then I should go for the W8 phone to keep it consistent across all devices. Also, email and ms office are my day to day programs so my head is telling me to go for the W8 phone but I do also really like the Nexus 7.

Which phone should I go for? 31 votes

Windows 8 Phone
    0% 0 votes
    Nexus 4
    100% 31 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Windows Phone works great with Office / Exchange / Skydrive. Keeping it all in same ecosystem would therefore make sense. But then again I'm a shameless Windows Phone fan so you can't rely on my word! I have a nexus 7 but it sort of works against my SkyDrive workflow and is what I would consider very high maintenance for what should be a simple device. Would love to try a Surface..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,674 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The Nexus 4 makes much more sense to me. It's half the price, has a quad core processor instead of the dual core processor that the Lumia has and has 2GB of RAM as opposed to 1GB of RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Yes, but it's made by LG who, in my opinion, have yet to make an Android phone to the quality that HTC have (in general) or that Samsung do regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,674 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

chrislad wrote: »
    Yes, but it's made by LG who, in my opinion, have yet to make an Android phone to the quality that HTC have (in general) or that Samsung do regularly.
    LG have nothing to do with the OS which is pure Android. As for hardware, they have been making phones for years. I am not aware of their hardware record being any better or worse than Samsung/HTC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Honestly I wouldn't worry so much about specs such as quad versus dual core or 1GB RAM versus 2GB; it's comparing apples with oranges. Windows Phone handsets in general are entirely capable and buttery-smooth when running any of the software made for the platform (see the old single-core Lumia 800 for proof). The recent addition of dual-core just means that the new WinPho8 handsets are set for at least another 2 years.

The only thing troubling me about the Lumia 920 these days is the sheer weight of the thing, and that high price tag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've been kinda disappointed with android. Lack of updates for phones which get stuck on old versions of Android. The whole split memory space between ram/SD cards, and phones with low ram really hurt performance. Whereas the Windows Phone is very fast regardless of spec. A good Android phone really needs to have a very good spec to be a decent experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

LG have nothing to do with the OS which is pure Android. As for hardware, they have been making phones for years. I am not aware of their hardware record being any better or worse than Samsung/HTC.

Ask any person that had an Optimus 7. They will tell you many bitter stories. Mind due Nokia isn't flawless either. I don't think any manufacturer is, but their far better at it than LG

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I'll be moving from the 4s to the 920 as soon as I can, for the camera primarily but also I like the OS and nokia are a rock solid brand with fantastic bundled software, kind of like how apple were regarded back in the day. No interest in the nexus 4 myself although it's very competitively priced (of course that doesn't make it the only phone anyone should get :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Ask any person that had an Optimus 7. They will tell you many bitter stories. Mind due Nokia isn't flawless either. I don't think any manufacturer is, but their far better at it than LG

Still have it, had overheating problems etc, sent it back twice for repair. Been fine for the last year though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

Mactard wrote: »
    I'll be moving from the 4s to the 920 as soon as I can, for the camera primarily but also I like the OS and nokia are a rock solid brand with fantastic bundled software, kind of like how apple were regarded back in the day. No interest in the nexus 4 myself although it's very competitively priced (of course that doesn't make it the only phone anyone should get :P)

Will Nokia have their own bloatware on top of windows 8?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

censuspro wrote: »

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Yes, but I wouldn't call it bloatware. The nokia apps are some of the best you can get on Windows phone.

Apparently they have some of the best maps and navigation on any platform.

But I'll be going for the nexus myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

EGriff wrote: »
    Yes, but I wouldn't call it bloatware. The nokia apps are some of the best you can get on Windows phone.

Apparently they have some of the best maps and navigation on any platform.

But I'll be going for the nexus myself.

I thought the Google navigation app was the best out there, not to mention its free?

EGriff, can you tell me why you're opting for the nexus as you seem to think highly o n Nokia?

I thought the Google navigation app was the best out there, not to mention its free?

EGriff, can you tell me why you're opting for the nexus as you seem to think highly o n Nokia?

Google Navigation is fancy turn by turn with voice. Nokia Drive is full offline sat navigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I've been using a HTC desire for ages and with all the custom roms I messed around with its gone really messed up and the memory is always full. I want to give Android a proper go with a powerful phone with plenty space for apps, plus google now has me intrigued.

I do love the UI of Win phone though so will try it at some point once the app store takes off a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Daniel S wrote: »
    Still have it, had overheating problems etc, sent it back twice for repair. Been fine for the last year though! :)

Have an Optimus 7, which is currently reaching the stage where it's becoming too unstable to use as a primary device. About once a month it will fail and not power back up for 2+ days.

I love WP7.5 and would love the lumia 920, mostly for the camera, but also to continue with WP, but given the price difference the Nexus is very tempting. I'll have to see what the camera is like on it. If it stacks up, I'll probably go with the Nexus, otherwise I'll wait as long as possible and see if the 920 comes down in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,529 ✭✭✭✭fits

I have an Omnia 7 and it works absolutely perfectly. So I wont be changing anytime soon. Microsoft/nokia have annoyed me with this launch. But when I think about other phones I just cant get my head around using either android or iphone.

I use the camera on my phone A LOT. So the camera in the lumia would really appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Obviously. It's a nexus. I was referring to the hardware. HTC had their go at a Nexus, as did Samsung and Asus. HTC and Samsung have a lot more experience, and a reliable one too, at Android hardware than LG. The Optimus, Optimus One, Optimus Black and that 3D one were all average phones with below average performace and reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cabbage Head

BostonB wrote: »
    I've been kinda disappointed with android. Lack of updates for phones which get stuck on old versions of Android. The whole split memory space between ram/SD cards, and phones with low ram really hurt performance. Whereas the Windows Phone is very fast regardless of spec. A good Android phone really needs to have a very good spec to be a decent experience.

None of these points are relevant though in regards to the Nexus 4 as it get's it's updates directly from Google, has no SD card slot and has 2gb ram...

None of these points are relevant though in regards to the Nexus 4 as it get's it's updates directly from Google, has no SD card slot and has 2gb ram...

I would assume if the networks here pick it up they'll lock it down.

You still don't have a shared memory space its still split regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Cabbage Head

I didn't realise it was still split. The networks will still probably lock the phone but then will anyone buy it from them seeing as they seem to be selling it at much higher price compared to Google in other countries.

I certainly wouldn't. Been burnt too many times with poor (or no) updates from the networks on phones they've locked down.

BostonB wrote: »
    I certainly wouldn't. Been burnt too many times with poor (or no) updates from the networks on phones they've locked down.

I wouldnt be so worried about updates on a Nexus phones. Google has been always good with updates for their Nexus line.

But as to the question above, Nexus 4 isnt as appealing at 600. If you really love Android and its endless possibilities to tinker. Its the best phone out there. I wouldnt be the first in the line to buy it, id give it a week or two to see weather there are bugs or hardware issues, because as before LG wouldnt be the most reliable OEM.

If your not bothered about tinkering and just want a phone to work and do things the way its supposed to then Lumia 920 is definetly phone to go. I just cant wait to get my hands on both of these anyway.

Advertisement