Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

This is a very badly made film. The plot is non-existant and the film meanders from scene to scene without knowing where it is going. Massive underuse of villains in this movie and the whole thing seems just thrown together. Not to mention the ridiculous ending. Overall one of the worst superhero films i have seen in what is normally a good genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Warper wrote: »
    This is a very badly made film. The plot is non-existant and the film meanders from scene to scene without knowing where it is going. Massive underuse of villains in this movie and the whole thing seems just thrown together. Not to mention the ridiculous ending. Overall one of the worst superhero films i have seen in what is normally a good genre.

In other words, it repeats all the mistakes of the last one, just aditionally subject the the rule of ever deminishing returns? Thanks. I'll give it a miss so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I thought it was very average, I actually enjoyed the first movie more. Not a total waste of time either, but within the superhero genre it's one of the poorer offerings, and I consider the reboot franchise so far inferior to the other trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Saw this the other night, it looked great but was a horrible movie with such a horrible soundtrack !

I agree, I didnt like the music(really hated the spidey and Fox themes) but I enjoyed the film overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Found it very very dull, which is especially egregious when a film is as noisy, flashy and expensive as this is. The worst thing about these new Spider-Mans to me is how they play it so safe and don't distance themselves from the Raimi films to enough of an extent. They just feel so redundant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

e_e wrote: »
    Found it very very dull, which is especially egregious when a film is as noisy, flashy and expensive as this is. The worst thing about these new Spider-Mans to me is how they play it so safe and don't distance themselves from the Raimi films to enough of an extent. They just feel so redundant.

I'm disappointed to read the sequel hasn't even attempted to fix the issues from the first film, but surely redundancy is at the very heart of these films to begin with. The only reason these two new films exist is because Sony wished to keep the IP from reverting back to Marvel. Nothing good, lively or creative can possibly come from such cynical beginnings, and it only bleeds into the final product. Though these films might make for an interesting double-bill of sorts with Roger Corman's infamous version of Fantastic Four, itself a cynical attempt to keep a studio's hands on the copyright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Yeah, although at least with the likes of Batman you get a different style of film with each director who takes on the story. The only credit I can give to Webb is that the relationship scenes work well but other than that Amazing Spider-Man 2 was just a big load of nothing to me. Almost nothing in the film stuck with me 5 minutes after the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Jamie Foxx is by far the worst thing in this film. His character wouldn't be out of place in a Joel Schumacher Batman film, it's that laughably bad.

I thought that the score was rather good, even if Zimmer did steal wholesale from his back catalogue. One of the themes from Crysis was used repeatedly throughout the film and I spent a few minutes trying to place it. The songs, well they were a little familiar and generic, the kind of cookie cutter fare that you'd hear on The OC

Funny enough it reminded me alot of Jim Carey's Riddler. The employee with no friends who is infatuated with the hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Saw this myself last week.

I thought that Garfield was great in the role and Emma Stone was very good too. A couple of the set pieces were great.

That's the positives looked after.
    The bit about Peters parents was filler.
    The opening scene with the guys stealing the nuclear material that was being transported in the middle of a city was pointless.
    Jamie Foxes character was totally unbelievable to begin with and his transition from being Spidermans number one fan to hating him took about 5 seconds so I didn't care about the character at all.
    Peter went from not seeing Harry Osborne for several years to him being his best friend in about 2 scenes.
    Where Spiderman appeared to Harry saying you can't have my blood I was thinking, why not give him a pint and say use it at your own risk. Harry's the head of a major organisation and was Peters best friend apparently so if I was in that situation I'd give him some and say get your scientists to look into this as it'll probably kill you, but at least I tried.
    The green goblin was also unbelievable. If that suit can heal anybody when it's put on why isn't it in mass production. From sick, head of an organisation to a maniacal guy on a hover-board in one easy step.
    As for the rhino, I'm going to rob a bank. So I'll get the biggest possible walking tank. Where was he going to go with that. It's not like he could have disappeared down an alley. And when he opened it up to say he was the rhino why didn't a cop shoot him in the head.

I enjoyed the first Amazing Spiderman. It was good, not great but I didn't come out of the cinema thinking I'd wasted my money.
    In Amazing Spiderman 2 I was about an hour into it thinking I'm bored and was thinking about leaving.

In the very opening scene where Spiderman is falling towards the city what did he jump out of? Must have been a plane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

well went to see it again today as i wanted a popcorn fix and it was this or pompei which i had reservations about before it got savaged.

3D this time and while i STILL hate that format i have to admit if your going to see this 3D is the way to go.

as i suspected in the 2d showing all the web slinging is indeed pimped out for that format and i have to say its very good. they really do capture the sensation of swinging through the city. the city itself really does benefit from the format too along with certain battle moments.

oddly i found this more enjoyable the second time around. its still too bloody long but it does hold up to a second viewing IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

This rebooted series should be a lot better than it is. The chemistry between the two lead characters is far better than the original trilogy, which is obviously a great foundation to have for any film, the actors are better, his swinging is better, the special effects are better, the basic plot is better (or the route the plot could have potentially taken after the first film). All arrows point to this being a better series than the original trilogy, but for some reasons it's not. After the first two films of the original trilogy, you come out thinking that was actually pretty amazing, far better than what I was expecting (despite all their holes and flaws), whereas here you come out thinking that was average. The contradiction is you could re-watch new ones more for some reason, and will stand the test of time better in my opinion.
    On the actual film, the pacing is all over the place. The Goblin's transformation to the death of Gwen was rushed and was just a mess. The closeness they tried to perceive and to get across between Harry and Peter,was just un-buyable, far too forced and unrealistic. Electro was rubbish.

Although the special effects were brilliant, the "fights" were no good. Or lack of fights I should say. When you go to see Spider-man, or most comic book heroes, you want to see them and the villain go toe to toe and fight it out. I feel the reason most people came out and felt disappointed and didn't know why, is because there was no proper climactic fight like in the original trilogy, a build up to nothing in that sense, AGAIN. The two films of this series has been Spider-man running away from the villain, trying to find a way to beat him, without properly engaging him in the final battle. We seen in the original series he engaged the Green Goblin, Doc Ock, Sandman and Venom having proper one on one fights several times. Here it's like he can't stand toe to toe with Electro or Lizard so he has to find another way to beat them, and I hate those kind of endings, no proper climactic fight, the hero trying to lure the villain somewhere, rarely engaging them, and then that's it. It's why
    I came out of Thor 2 feeling so let down. Hardy a punch thrown in the final battle. Just two characters falling through seven different worlds, with about two punches thrown.

One big plus about the new film though is that I thought the Goblin looked about as good as you could get him, facially mind you, as his suit was rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I think what was seen in the movie was only the 1st stage of Goblinistis , He'll get even better in the next one i'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Fcuking adored this one!!!! The first I loved, but this one was just really great, helped that I saw it in IMAX though Id say :P

I was never a huge Spiderman movie fan till this franchise came along, they make the Tobey Maguire version even more tame that it was imho!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought Dane DeHaan was good as Goblin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Third film has been pushed back a whole 2 years until 2018. Sony have learned their lesson and decided it’s better to work from a finished script. Rather than, you know, something the Transformers guys threw together in a few months.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/spider-man-spinoff-sinister-six-dated-for-nov-11-2016-amazing-spider-man-3-back-to-2018-1201267269/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭micks_address

Watched for the second time last night. The only decent part of the film is the relationship between gwen and Peter. The rest is pants... The spidey swinging bits look great and garfield is having a lot of fun but I agree with the Joel Schumacher comment earlier the film was borderline batman and Robin at times...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

I finished this thinking that for a super hero movie it had the making of a good rom com. Basically leads were great. Direction was good. Editing and script and villains were absolutely pants.

Also they ran out of money at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It's a good lesson as to what happens when release dates and promised sequels matter more than finished scripts and coherent ideas. I preferred it to the mostly redundant first movie and it has a few good scenes but it's overlong and messy. DeHaan was excellent in it though as were both the leads. I much prefer Garfield's Peter to Tobey Maguire's sap of a character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Watched for the second time last night. The only decent part of the film is the relationship between gwen and Peter. The rest is pants... The spidey swinging bits look great and garfield is having a lot of fun but I agree with the Joel Schumacher comment earlier the film was borderline batman and Robin at times...

TAS2 is not terrific, but it is not that bad.

B&R is a fun enjoyable move which you completely turn your brain off for. Completely. Aside, from when Alicia Silverstones ass is on screen.

TAS2 I enjoyed but it was just a little bit underwhelming. I love Garfield in the role and the chemistry with him and herself, worked really well, but it was a bit forgettable. And I am a Spidey fan. Considering the Rhino was in the posters, having him appear for 20 seconds at the end of the movie felt like a let down.

Have I made this comment before? Im getting a feeling of deja vu.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Agree with the Batman & Robin comment on the basis of Electro being hammy, 2 dimensional and poorly acted. Gave a weird cringe-comedy factor to the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Dreadful villain choice made even worse by the casting of Jamie Foxx (who I normally don't mind).

Absolutely dreadful film.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Toosey

I always found the spider man films a let down. Hopefully this one will change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Toosey wrote: »
    I always found the spider man films a let down. Hopefully this one will change that.

Don't get your hopes up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Dreadful villain choice made even worse by the casting of Jamie Foxx (who I normally don't mind).

Absolutely dreadful film.

I liked the idea of choosing one of the C List villains as the main threat but they just got Electro wrong. Not the best villain in the first place but they made him too powerful and cast an awful actor.

Advertisement