Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS for HTPC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Looking to get a NAS.

Going to be running Squeezebox, sickbeard, headphones, and providing storage for a HTPC

Is there any reason I shouldn't go for the HP ProLiant MicroServer?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ProLiant-N40L-2GB-U-250GB-MicroServer/dp/B005LRCASM/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1351811590&sr=1-1

I like the idea of being able to throw in a the couple of spare HDs I have as well as having the room to expand in the future. Probably throw in extra ram too.

Currently use a slightly older model the N36L. Working great as a basic file server running ps3 media server to stream to my PS3.

They use very little power, run pretty quiet.

I think they are a great bit of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Is it quiet enough to keep in a sitting room?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Is it quiet enough to keep in a sitting room?

Keep it in my bedroom currently.

If there is any background noise you cannot hear it, the noise level is pretty low and you would only notice the fans in a totally silent room late at night.

The only real down side to using one of these over a NAS is the extra elbow grease required to get them up and running.

I went for mine due to the extra flexibility over a NAS and as an opportunity to learn a little bit about Linux.

I can't seem to be able to set this is at all. I've followed a couple of guides but haven't gotten anywhere.

I have remote desktop set-up but I can't share any folders between them.

These are my network settings:

Might post this elsewhere, but would appreciate any help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Why are you complicating things running a Server OS? Why not install Windows 7 as it's rock solid and easier to manage, ie, not as locked down.

• Advertisement

I think figured it'd be more suited for running a NAS. Certainly not married to it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Freeman

Are you locked into a large Windows network? Having to run something as heavy as Server 2008 is going to slow things down unnecessarily. Have you looked at Nas4Free? I am in the process of reviving two older machines for my NAS setup and have test driven Nas4Free. It's got a nice Web interface. It's FreeBSD, i.e. UNIX but you do most of the configuration in a browser. There is also FreeNas but that is a newer project so maybe not as stable. FreeNAS has better documentation, so when I get stuck I reference that. Might be worth a look for you.

Advertisement