Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build for Video Editing

Options
  • 02-11-2012 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, looking for some help. I have a PC that a put together myself about 3 years ago (a friend of mine who built his own picked out the bits and pieces for me) It's made up of the following parts:

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
    Asus P5Q-E Motherboard
    ASUS Radeon HD 4850 1GB GDDR3
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz
    Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB SATA2
    Crucial DDR2 Ballistix Tracer PC6400
    LG W2261VP-PF - 22 inches
    AXP Simplepower 630 Watt

I also bought a WD Caviar Green 2TB internal drive and installed it for extra storage. A few months later I bought a second one and installed that, but it blew something in the motherboard (the guy in the repair shop said that the power supply probably couldn't handle another internal drive)

I shoot and edit video for a living and this PC has been struggling lately with HD footage and effects work. I need something that will be able to handle video editing and all that goes with it (Adobe Premier, Sony Vegas, After Effects, Photoshop etc. Sometimes a few open at the same time)

1. What is your budget? €1000 (I might be able to stretch it a bit further if really needed)

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Video editing and some graphics/effects work.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? I'm hoping there are a few parts there in my old build that can be used (internal hardrives, one monitor, keyboard, mouse, maybe the case??)

5. Do you need a monitor? No, I have two that will do the job for the time being, but I'd like to be able to hook up and use a 3rd monitor in the near future.

5a. If yes, what size do you need. N/A

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1920x1080, planning on getting a 3rd monitor sometime in the near future.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] I'd need a card reader and a wireless card.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Visa Debit Card.

9. When are you purchasing? No immediate deadline.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Galway City.

I do a lot of weddings (shoot in SD) and my current PC can handle that mostly fine. Recently though, I've been getting more and more commercial work which means more HD footage, mixture of footage (shoulder camera, DSLR, POV cameras etc.) and more effects work that needs to be done.

This is putting my current PC under severe pressure and there were points during the last commercial that it wouldn't play smoothly at all and I had to render out segments to see if they worked as cuts.

I'm hoping to be able to use a few parts from my current build in order to save money and put it towards the new build. If that's not possible though, I'll just have to put another couple of hundred into the budget, as I really need something that will my my life easier.

Thanks for reading to this point and I'd appreciate your help!

Advertisement