Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

.22pistol

• 02-11-2012 12:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35

Hi all looking for a .22pistol any make my budget is around 300 to 400 euro

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭IrishTarget

jww wrote: »

I'd say a ruger MK II or MK III but you might have to go up to €500!

I haven't heard of to many second hand pistols about. I was looking myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭cw67irl

You might get a walther p22 for that price but not much else, Second hand pistols can run almost as much as new ones as they are already in country provided they are mint condition, Try Paddy Fagan, Alamo or Hilltop.

Have you joined a range yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭clivej

Ring as many dealers as you can. That's the best way to find out what's available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

cw67irl wrote: »
    You might get a walther p22 for that price but not much else
    Yeah, but there's a reason for that - the P22 has a fairly bad track record for things like accuracy, reliability, and not injuring its owner when its slide breaks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

For that kind of money, you will probably be tempted to buy a new Walther P22 or a new Sig Mosquito.

I wouldn't bother buying either of the above mentioned guns. They are cheap for a reason. And that reason is that they aren't very good guns. They aren't accurate enough for target shooting.

I think the best bet is to buy second hand if that's how much you have to spend. It can be hard enough to get second hand guns though.

As has been mentioned earlier, ring lots of dealers. Some good dealers have been mentioned earlier. If you want phone numbers, send me a PM and I'll sort you out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

The rugers , while not pure target pistols are in a different league to rubbish like the mosquito and p22, they are well made if a bit heavy. You would be better off saving a bit more cash and getting a better pistol. Have you considered the smith and wesson 22a ?

Actually, has anyone asked the OP what he plans to use the pistol for (ie. what kind of target shooting - plinking, competition, if competition what kind of discipline, etc).

Sparks wrote: »
    Actually, has anyone asked the OP what he plans to use the pistol for (ie. what kind of target shooting - plinking, competition, if competition what kind of discipline, etc).
    That time is now :p

What is the intended use for the handgun??

Remember you must be a member of an approved range that caters for handguns before you can get/apply for a license.

Well his budget dictates what he will be shooting, you couldn't buy the grip of a decent issf type target pistol for 300-400 euro let alone the whole thing. Where as he might pick up a ruger or buckmark.

what about the walther sp22 , its a modular design so can be used with different accessories for different disciplines.

http://www.carl-walther.de/cw.php?lang=en&content=products&sub=2&subsub=21&product=785

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

rowa wrote: »
    Well his budget dictates what he will be shooting, you couldn't buy the grip of a decent issf type target pistol for 300-400 euro let alone the whole thing. Where as he might pick up a ruger or buckmark.

what about the walther sp22 , its a modular design so can be used with different accessories for different disciplines.

http://www.carl-walther.de/cw.php?lang=en&content=products&sub=2&subsub=21&product=785

you think its possible to get a ruger or buckmark for that money?
    where? :) pm me, interested or a S&W 22a as a last resort

• Advertisement

Merch wrote: »
    you think its possible to get a ruger or buckmark for that money?
    where? :) pm me, interested or a S&W 22a as a last resort

http://www.frankonia.de/525197/309648/productdetail.html?pagingSize=64&sortOption=performance&page=0&displayType=gallery&navCategoryId=8795

I like the look of the walther gsp there too, I wish that site had an english version, make it so much easier.
    Im not sure how Id go about importing one, maybe via a dealer,
    Ive no problem with second hand, see no need to buy new, as long as someone has only used it as a tack driver and not a tack hammer.

process?
    contact frankonia, make offer to reserve?
    get serial number
    apply for licence
    apply for some kind of import licence???
    licence approval?
    import?

or get an RFD to do it and pay them a fee :)

Merch wrote: »
    I like the look of the walther gsp there too, I wish that site had an english version, make it so much easier.
    Im not sure how Id go about importing one, maybe via a dealer,
    Ive no problem with second hand, see no need to buy new, as long as someone has only used it as a tack driver and not a tack hammer.

process?
    contact frankonia, make offer to reserve?
    get serial number
    apply for licence
    apply for some kind of import licence???
    licence approval?
    import?

or get an RFD to do it and pay them a fee :)

You have to get a RFD eitherways. Guns can't be shipped to private citizens in Ireland, only to registered firearms dealers.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

BattleCorp wrote: »
    You have to get a RFD eitherways. Guns can't be shipped to private citizens in Ireland, only to registered firearms dealers.

That's not actually true, you could do all the paperwork yourself. If you have a cert for the firearm in question and get the import paperwork you don't have to use an RFD.

I'd still advise going through an RFD since they'll know the drill and are less likely to screw up the paperwork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Yep, have done both, RFD is definitely the simple and handy way to do it.

IRLConor wrote: »
    That's not actually true, you could do all the paperwork yourself. If you have a cert for the firearm in question and get the import paperwork you don't have to use an RFD.

I'd still advise going through an RFD since they'll know the drill and are less likely to screw up the paperwork.

How does the firearm get from Germany (www.frankonia.de) to you? Does the postman/courier bring it in?

Surely it would have to be shipped to a RFD?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Does the postman/courier bring it in?

Yep, the same way it gets delivered to the RFD. :)

I learn something new every day. Thanks. :)

...and hopefully not just left leaning up against the front door, as at least one air rifle was in the (admittedly dim and distant) past :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

...and hopefully not just left leaning up against the front door, as at least one air rifle was in the (admittedly dim and distant) past :D

A friend of mine ordered a .22WMR pistol. He got an article 7 and had it mailed to him. He found the package left in the shed wade he house. The postman left it there and told no one. I think it was there a week before he found it. I also took delivery of an AR-15 from Germany. It came by post also. Stuck to the outside was a label listing the contents. The gun was fully assembled and ready to go. Gotta love the Irish postal system lol

• Advertisement

I know one dealer who ordered two centrefire pistols from frankonia and they were left in the porch of his house by the postman. The german gun laws have changed and that can't happen now , the firearm has to be broken down and sent in two separate parcels , but it is expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Some great deals on secondhand 22 pistols on egun.de , bought a mint S&W 41 there lately for silly money.

civdef wrote: »
    Some great deals on secondhand 22 pistols on egun.de , bought a mint S&W 41 there lately for silly money.

Just had a look at the site
    Some nice and cheap looking pistols,
    I dont speak German, even using the translation its a bit difficult to get through.
    I like the range of pistols in particular the number of Walther GSP's
    but would be concerned about dealing across border with private individuals, not from a trust point of view, just language barrier and then maybe issues with dealing with application here and not being familiar with importing.

You can use the advanced search option "Erweiterte Suche" and select "mit EWB" (licence required - eliminates items like grips etc) and "internationaler Versand - mind EU-weit" (international shipping - minimum EU).

Pretty much all of the sellers offering export will be dealers. Check via message prior to bidding what shipping rates are - some use third party shippers with extortionate rates, also despite what they say, some don't like shipping here due to the time it takes us to get paperwork sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭Lemon3

civdef wrote: »

Hi civdef, what do you think of the 41 ? how old is it ? and what did it end up costing you to get into your hands. thanks

spotted this one http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=4074328

Has anyone bought firearms in a european country other than germany ? Hunters house in denmark has a serious stock of firearms of all types, just wondered is it easier or harder than hetting something in from germany

http://www.huntershouse.dk/kat838-Smith-Wesson-brugtliste/

Lemon3 wrote: »
    Hi civdef, what do you think of the 41 ? how old is it ? and what did it end up costing you to get into your hands. thanks

spotted this one http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=4074328

Model 41 is the target version of the model 22. I've shot this handgun in competiton and found it to be very good, reliable and accurate.
    I was quoted €1550 new, 2 years ago, for the 41 but hadn't the $$$ at the time, so bought the Feinwerkbau AW93 Olympic style pistol secondhand.
    Now that is a handgun. :):):):)

762_1.jpg

If you'v only that sort of $$$ to spend I'd say save up a litte longer and get something you'll have for ever and enjoy using. Don't get a new handgun for that money as you'll end up hating it and not have the fun of using it in competition and beat the other lads.

My recomendation would be the
    Hammerli Xesse .22lr Sport Competition model with 6 inch Barrel. It will do all you want and can be had for about €600 secondhand

Xesse%20Sport%20Comp%206in-2.JPG

You could probably get a better price than that for a better pistol than that clive, with just a little luck; take a peek at egun.de.

• Advertisement

Fantastic, mine was built in 1969 and it ran at less than €400 delivered.
    My other option was to get a Hammerli 215/208 for roughly the same money.

From this end, importing from any EU country would be the same, not sure if Danish export procedures are any stickier - though most EU countries don't mess round much.

Not sure if this search will work for ye - egun listing of rimfire sport pistols with EU shipping:
    http://www.egun.de/market/list_items.php?mode=qry&query=&plusdescr=off&wheremode=and&ewb=1&minprice=&maxprice=&type=0&cat=155&country_id=&zip=&int=2&order=ends&asdes=asc

There's a few High Standards' listed there for next to nothing; the americans seem to think quite highly of them...
    (I'd still be buying the 35M myself if I was doing the shopping though)

Model 41 is the target version of the model 22

Ugh, God no. :D

22a.jpg

vs

Smith_Wesson_41_Pistol.jpg

The 22a is a more recent model and not in the same quality bracket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭cw67irl

You will do well to get a second hand xesse for that price I had a look around and none could be got! Hilltop had one but it was crazy money!

The xesse isn't a great pistol , i know several lads with them and they all say they wouldn't buy another, the 208/215 made in lenz switzerland is in a different league though, much better quality and they hold the record for the highest score shot in issf so i am told.

I've imported several pistols from Germany with no hassles at all. Before buying this last one, I rang around here to see what was available - nothing with in an asses roar of the value to be had in Germany.

• Advertisement

they hold the record for the highest score shot in issf so i am told.
    Yup.
    The existing (May 2009) World Record for ISSF 25M Standard Pistol of 584 was set by Erich Buljung (USA), 20.08.1983 at the PanAmerican Games, Caracas (VEN) using a Hammerli 208

Fairly cheap second-hand off egun and frankonia as well for some reason (all the older pistols seem to be, but they're more than good enough to start with - I mean, I like the IZH35M but there's a 1950s era Baikal design (with a bit of upgrading) called the MCM which is more than good enough as well (and seems to go for less than the 35M does). I think the SSP's the shiniest bit of kit yet in the smallbore pistol field, but realistically, these older pistols are far better choices...

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

clivej wrote: »
    Model 41 is the target version of the model 22.

That doesn't sound right at all.

The Model 41 is a classic target pistol made out of steel and a little wood. The Model 22...... well, let's just say it isn't.

Mind you, classic and all as it is, the 41 isn't worth €1,550

P.S. - redundant post - I see someone else has already covered this.

Advertisement