Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seriously lads, where's the craic?!

Options
  • 02-11-2012 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

As a newcomer to Waterford I'm shocked at how hard it is to have a bit of a laugh here. Where are the places to have a bit of craic during the week? I'm finding the city almost hostile to a newcomer. I've moved here for work and don't know anyone, why is it so difficult to settle in?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

hanron wrote: »
    As a newcomer to Waterford I'm shocked at how hard it is to have a bit of a laugh here. Where are the places to have a bit of craic during the week? I'm finding the city almost hostile to a newcomer. I've moved here for work and don't know anyone, why is it so difficult to settle in?!

Wait until you lose your job, realise there's no other jobs in Waterford, that your stuck with a mortgage on a house in negative equity and can't leave to find work, that the "city" is being downgraded in status, that the IDA have pissed off and are making no effort to attract companies, that the nearby regional hospital is being downgraded, that your children have to go to Cork and Dublin to attend a University and you can't afford their upkeep, that the local TD's are about as useful as a chocolate teapot and aren't going to make sure your voice is heard. Then when your on your knees and at the point of desperation come on to boards.ie and ask again where the craic is gone from Waterford.

People are probably hostile because their city is being left to rot and there's very little positivity towards a cheery newcomer with a job and a smile. Tis a shame. I hope things go well for you all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

deisedevil wrote: »
    Wait until you lose your job, realise there's no other jobs in Waterford, that your stuck with a mortgage on a house in negative equity and can't leave to find work, that the "city" is being downgraded in status, that the IDA have pissed off and are making no effort to attract companies, that the nearby regional hospital is being downgraded, that your children have to go to Cork and Dublin to attend a University and you can't afford their upkeep, that the local TD's are about as useful as a chocolate teapot and aren't going to make sure your voice is heard. Then when your on your knees and at the point of desperation come on to boards.ie and ask again where the craic is gone from Waterford.

People are probably hostile because their city is being left to rot and there's very little positivity towards a cheery newcomer with a job and a smile. Tis a shame. I hope things go well for you all the same.
    What a ray of sunshine you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Utter bollox.

What a ray of sunshine you are.

How about you answer the OP yourself there? Tell me if anything I said isn't true in my response as to why the craic is gone from Waterford?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

Waterford is a just a town really - not a city, not even close.

Ive never seen a place go downhill so fast, especially the night life - there is a better selection of pubs/clubs in any town in the country.

On a lighter note - its like anywhere, you have to make your own fun. The coastal roads/towns just a few miles drive away are gorgeous and there is enough for anyone to do if you look for it.

• Advertisement

Utter bollox.

What you quoted was meant as tongue in cheek.

If the OP thinks there's no craic in Waterford he could be right, maybe there isn't. If its not down to the reasons I listed then what could it be, have you any suggestions yourself or do you think the OP is just making it up and that Waterford is a cheery place these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

What you quoted was meant as tongue in cheek.

If the OP thinks there's no craic in Waterford he could be right, maybe there isn't. If its not down to the reasons I listed then what could it be, have you any suggestions yourself or do you think the OP is just making it up and that Waterford is a cheery place these days?

Perhaps you meant it to be tounge in cheek but it sounded down right nasty,sarcastic at best but not very helpful to a newcomer looking for advice on settiling in really?

Waterford has obviously seen better days but to claim that anyone coming here from outside town is treated differently on the basis that they have a job is bizarre. Has the 'they took our jobs' mentality stretched to this now?

Thankfully I'm certain it hasn't, I'd be astonished if it wasn't anything more than a tiny minority who thought this way. I realise there's at least one now anyway.

I hail from another part of the country but have lived here with my family for about 8 years now and have never found the people of Waterford to be anything but welcoming and friendly. We have made this place our home and I really wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

hanron, have a search of the forum for sports,clubs, boards meetups etc. You'll find plenty of things to do and opportunities to meet people. While Waterford is going through tough times the people are still brilliant and there's plenty to get involved in that is great fun. Don't let one negative post put you off.

If you're a footy fan get yourself to the RSC tomorrow night for the playoff decider, wouldn't be a bad place to start to get you settled in to Deise life!

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Waterford is still a cheery place if you want a session :)
    May aswell finish last can and get some sleep before I do it all again tonight . Op once you get to know a few people you'll be sorted for the craic

Perhaps you meant it to be tounge in cheek but it sounded down right nasty,sarcastic at best but not very helpful to a newcomer looking for advice on settiling in really?

Waterford has obviously seen better days but to claim that anyone coming here from outside town is treated differently on the basis that they have a job is bizarre. Has the 'they took our jobs' mentality stretched to this now?

Thankfully I'm certain it hasn't, I'd be astonished if it wasn't anything more than a tiny minority who thought this way. I realise there's at least one now anyway.

I hail from another part of the country but have lived here with my family for about 8 years now and have never found the people of Waterford to be anything but welcoming and friendly. We have made this place our home and I really wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

hanron, have a search of the forum for sports,clubs, boards meetups etc. You'll find plenty of things to do and opportunities to meet people. While Waterford is going through tough times the people are still brilliant and there's plenty to get involved in that is great fun. Don't let one negative post put you off.

If you're a footy fan get yourself to the RSC tomorrow night for the playoff decider, wouldn't be a bad place to start to get you settled in to Deise life!

I didn't mean that at all, please stop taking it up like that. Obviously people aren't going about snapping at any from outside Waterford that comes in and takes up employment. What I meant was that for many many people in Waterford these days they have absolutely nothing whatsoever to be cheerful about and aren't going to come across very positive to someone who's full of the joys of life, has a job, a smile on his face, a skip in his step etc. etc. Its not right but that's the reality of it. Facebook is flooded today with posts from people who are at the point of desperation with how little is being done for the south east, this county and in particular the city.

As far as I'm concerned the positivity has been drained from the area for a lot of people and Waterford city in particular has become a very dreary place indeed and I'd understand completely what the OP has said, yet at the same time I find it unusual in the extreme that he/she felt the need to have to ask why when you'd have to be walking around with your head in the clouds not to have seen or heard about the problems of the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 hanron

Hmmm, all very interesting. I suppose our points of view come from differing circumstances. As someone without a mortgage or kids, my priorities are very different from those of you who are settled and have families here. Of course I see the unemployment in the city and its effects. Coming from a much more vibrant place it is truly sad to see life in Waterford and how (simply) depressing it is.

That said, I am fortunate enough to have a job, and a good one at that. But when you get to that point in your professional and personal life you move on from there. My job, as important as it is, is not my life. What I do before and after work as at the weekends is my life. That is where the problem arises in Waterford! What is there to do?! Regardless of your financial/professional situation you/we all should try to enjoy ourselves as much as possible, and living in this city together we are dependent on each other for activities, craic etc.

When I said 'hostile' let me stress that I didn't mean the people themselves. Anyone I've met has been lovely and very friendly. But it's the way the city itself is, how everything is spread out, how clubs all seem to be up and running, how any club I've contacted haven't gotten back to me, how everything seems to be a closed shop towards any newcomers, that makes the system (if you will) appear hostile.

I have a good job, and am enjoying the work I do. But if things continue like this, in the saddest city in Ireland, I will very seriously consider leaving. I may have no dependents, but i depend in myself to have a life, and this is not happening here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

So, what sort of stuff are you into OP? Give us an example of the ideal night out for you and we'll see if we can help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bringthethunder

Hmmm, all very interesting. I suppose our points of view come from differing circumstances. As someone without a mortgage or kids, my priorities are very different from those of you who are settled and have families here. Of course I see the unemployment in the city and its effects. Coming from a much more vibrant place it is truly sad to see life in Waterford and how (simply) depressing it is.

That said, I am fortunate enough to have a job, and a good one at that. But when you get to that point in your professional and personal life you move on from there. My job, as important as it is, is not my life. What I do before and after work as at the weekends is my life. That is where the problem arises in Waterford! What is there to do?! Regardless of your financial/professional situation you/we all should try to enjoy ourselves as much as possible, and living in this city together we are dependent on each other for activities, craic etc.

When I said 'hostile' let me stress that I didn't mean the people themselves. Anyone I've met has been lovely and very friendly. But it's the way the city itself is, how everything is spread out, how clubs all seem to be up and running, how any club I've contacted haven't gotten back to me, how everything seems to be a closed shop towards any newcomers, that makes the system (if you will) appear hostile.

I have a good job, and am enjoying the work I do. But if things continue like this, in the saddest city in Ireland, I will very seriously consider leaving. I may have no dependents, but i depend in myself to have a life, and this is not happening here.

The main thing you seem to dislike is the pub/club scene. It seems you are looking for a sort of strip with all the pubs and clubs in close proximity. Well that we don't have and never did. But we have 2 brilliant theatre's in the theatre royal and Garter Lane you should keep an eye on the listings there is always something good on. Go into any pub in ballybricken during the week, start talking to someone and you'll have a craic open yourself up to people, dont expect people just to start entertaining you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

What sort of organisation are you looking to join? Its true that alot of clubs are 'closed shops' but if you give us an idea of what your looking for, someone here might be able to point you in the right direction?

Unfortunately the life and soul of our city is dying, there is little chance of reviving it while people insist on burying their heads in the sand but what can you but except hope they might have a moment of clarity soon.

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

There's a better chance of getting some crack in Waterford!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

What a pathetic post, Waterford people I have found to be the most witty in the country, always up for a laugh. anyway, if you had posted a question on how to meet people, that would have made sense instead of walking the streets looking for craic, try make some friends. Craic doesnt happen it is created by friends and acquaintances (rarely strangers), you need to gain some of those to make some craic for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Max Powers wrote: »
    What a pathetic post, Waterford people I have found to be the most witty in the country, always up for a laugh. anyway, if you had posted a question on how to meet people, that would have made sense instead of walking the streets looking for craic, try make some friends. Craic doesnt happen it is created by friends and acquaintances (rarely strangers), you need to gain some of those to make some craic for yourself.

The OP is in a situation where he doesnt know where to start meeting new people or doing a new hobby etc to widen his social contact, and he is finding the vibe here in Waterford hostile for new people, Its easy for you to say "make some friends" as if that can be done with the snap of a finger. You are coming across as hostile as the OP described with that ridiculous comment..

OP, I do know what you mean, its not easy in any new city, and Waterford can be a closed shop in many ways, the same old heads in the same old places week after week (bit of advice, stay away from Geoffs, its like Groundhog Day) but there are lots of nice people here too. What are your hobbies, do you like running and fitness, lots of regular meets there, just google Waterford RSC. Failing that, if you are still here, the CTI college in town do courses on all things from IT to cooking, starting in Jannuary, maybe have a browse and see what you like, its a good way to meet people. Best of luck with it and try and see a few attractions like Waterford Crystal and Medieval Museuem when you are here.

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

he is finding the vibe here in Waterford hostile for new people
    Some people found the Waterford vibe hostile growing up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

The OP made an observation and along the way has received a few offers of help and thus far has ignored everything. Sort of adds weight to Max Powers post.

old gregg wrote: »
    The OP made an observation and along the way has received a few offers of help and thus far has ignored everything. Sort of adds weight to Max Powers post.

Apologies, apologies! Busy weekend outside of the city! I'm an outdoors type, and will definitely look into the running club, as well as trying to get out to the sea and mountains.
    Again, I don't mean to criticise the people here, it's just that in comparison to otgee cities you really have to search out activities here. In other places I've lived there seems to be so much more visibly going on and open to old and new faces.
    Anyway, many thanks for all the replies. I'll venture out more and hopefully report back with loads of craic!

The OP is in a situation where he doesnt know where to start meeting new people or doing a new hobby etc to widen his social contact, and he is finding the vibe here in Waterford hostile for new people, Its easy for you to say "make some friends" as if that can be done with the snap of a finger. You are coming across as hostile as the OP described with that ridiculous comment..

OP, I do know what you mean, its not easy in any new city, and Waterford can be a closed shop in many ways, the same old heads in the same old places week after week (bit of advice, stay away from Geoffs, its like Groundhog Day) but there are lots of nice people here too. What are your hobbies, do you like running and fitness, lots of regular meets there, just google Waterford RSC. Failing that, if you are still here, the CTI college in town do courses on all things from IT to cooking, starting in Jannuary, maybe have a browse and see what you like, its a good way to meet people. Best of luck with it and try and see a few attractions like Waterford Crystal and Medieval Museuem when you are here.

Brilliant, thanks Wanderer2010.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Kebabzavr

You can join my table quiz team if you are into this kind of things. :pac:

Advertisement