Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Adsense vat issue

Options
  • 02-11-2012 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi Guys.

Im register my adsense account today and im allready received a tiny amount of money checking if the bank account is right. Every thing goes right and my adsense account is set up to money transfer into bank account.

But here's the problem. As I was reading thru the internet and about adsense I found out that I need to pay the vat. I was looking more and more about it and I'm unsure now as I found this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71250178.

Far as I understand from this is that basically I don't need to pay Vat if my income are under the limit (not sure how much). But on the other side I find out on the Google Site that I supposed to pay the vat.

My income are really low because adsense is connected with youtube when some of my movies are set up to earn but they are not really popular like I don't get a hundred of views per day or something like that. Just a few views per day. I'm also not registred for Vat, I'm still studying and I'm unemployed person.

So basically easy question. Do I have to pay the vat or not ?
    Im sorry if there was any mistake or any sentences that you were unable to understand but English is my second language and I'm still learning it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

But here's the problem. As I was reading thru the internet and about adsense I found out that I need to pay the vat. I was looking more and more about it and I'm unsure now as I found this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71250178.
    That's a bad thread to use. One of the posters participating in it didn't understand what AdSense was and misunderstood the situation, ending in them giving irrelevant/incorrect advice.
    Far as I understand from this is that basically I don't need to pay Vat if my income are under the limit (not sure how much). But on the other side I find out on the Google Site that I supposed to pay the vat.
    You mentioned you're not VAT registered, so that simplifies the explanation a little here (everything I say is based on the premise that the person isn't registered, if they were this post explains it fairly clearly).

You're providing a service to Google in the form of advertising on your site (or on your YouTube videos). Google will pay you for this service through their AdSense system. As you're not VAT registered, you wouldn't/won't be charging Google VAT on their payments to you so you've no VAT payments to deal with.
    So basically easy question. Do I have to pay the vat or not ?
    You don't charge Google VAT on their payment to you, so you've no VAT payments to deal with (unless you eventually become VAT registered, at which time follow the link above for details on how to handle it then).

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭damian01211

That is what I was looking for. A clearly answer.
    Thanks very much but when I was looking thru the internet about Vat I also found that some of people wasn't paying the vat and when they started a Google also started to look for them like why they weren't paying it etc.
    Could this also happend to me ? Like I'm not registered for Vat now but when I'll be registered could Google want the amount of Vat that was for example over a year or 2 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Could this also happend to me ? Like I'm not registered for Vat now but when I'll be registered could Google want the amount of Vat that was for example over a year or 2 ?
    It's possible, but I'd see it as fairly unlikely.

If Google did query you on why you're now (at some point in the future) registering your VAT details you'd simply point out that up until now you weren't registered for VAT, but that you forecast your next 12 months turnover to hit the compulsory threshold and have just registered. It would be very easy to provide that information, if it were ever requested.

(And just to clarify, No, there couldn't/wouldn't be any back payment of VAT [assuming you don't fail to register for VAT if/when you hit the threshold]. You CAN'T charge VAT if you're not registered for VAT and if you haven't charged VAT you can't have any VAT payments to deal with. Probably as important, you should really do a little reading to understand how VAT works. Google will never be 'charging' you VAT in this case, you'd be charging them VAT.)

Advertisement