Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sydney Pub

Options
  • 02-11-2012 4:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Myself and a friend decided to go to a North Sydney pub for our lunch break, just food, no alcohol.

I queued up for a few minutes as it's quite a busy and popular place on lunch. So ordered our food from a girl behind the bar, I knew exactly what I was ordering as I had been here several times on lunch before and even had a pint with no trouble.

This time a lady asked me for ID, I advised I didn't have any as I usually don't carry it to work and didn't think I'd need any to purchase food on my lunch.

She said it was a requirement for me to have ID just to be on the premises but she never asked people in front of me for ID.

Ok, so boohoo my lunch was ruined, I'd understand if I was buying gargle but is she right in saying that every patron is required to have ID, even if they are only purchasing food at this time of the day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

http://www.olgr.nsw.gov.au/pdfs/L_FS_NLS.pdf

I always thought you needed ID to be in a pub.
    under 18s can be on certain premises with an adult.

Sounds like she was just being a knob or else someone just got a bollocking and picked on you

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

hussey wrote: »

Sounds like she was just being a knob or else someone just got a bollocking and picked on you

You do need ID to be in a pub. Under 18s are only allowed to be in "authorised areas". That's unlikely to be bars and such but rather hotels that have a dedicated restaurant area as well as a bar. Pubs that sell food wouldn't count imo.

She was following the rules, but prob being a bit zealous for what ever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭strokeslover

Mellor wrote: »
    You do need ID to be in a pub. Under 18s are only allowed to be in "authorised areas". That's unlikely to be bars and such but rather hotels that have a dedicated restaurant area as well as a bar. Pubs that sell food wouldn't count imo.

She was following the rules, but prob being a bit zealous for what ever reason.
    Thanks for that I'll have the ID on me in future just to avoid these situations in other places, I just thought common sense would come in to play considering we're both in our mid twenties, the time of day and that we were only getting food but it just seemed she picked on me for some reason.
    hussey wrote: »

Cheers for the link, I couldn't find anything clear when I googled it originally.

Yeah maybe she was pissed off or something. I'd understand if I was buying drink, but it was obvious to her I would there only for food for 1 hour but she chose to be awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Well why didn't you tell her you were with a "responsible adult", your friend?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭strokeslover

old_aussie wrote: »

My friend was had no ID either, and i was ordering for the two of us. But I wouldn't of stuck around because it was an embarassing situation. And I had certainly given her a piece of my mind!

• Advertisement

old_aussie wrote: »
    Because that applies to authorised areas for under 18s, not bars. Still can't be in if under 18.

People with a bit of power do it all the time. In a bad mood and take it out on anyone they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

It can be annoying at times, some places are really strict on ID and just ID everyone going in the door. Have noticed Cargo bar to be very strict and was going to Ryans on Friday night at about 11 and 3 of us were not let in for no ID, we were 27-31 year olds but feck it just walk to the another bar across the street and it's not hassles. Reminds me of New York a bit.

I think I'll just apply for an Aussie Driving Licenses that I can put in my wallet which will avoid this in future

digiman wrote: »
    I think I'll just apply for an Aussie Driving Licenses that I can put in my wallet which will avoid this in future
    If its purely for ID, you can get an NSW ID card from the RTA. A lot cheaper and quicker than drivers license.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Ms Cool wrote: »
    Sick of the Oz pub scene. Hairy, drunk, smelly Irish emigrees tourists trying to find a hole for their cock

Steady on there's really not that many of us, I think you been exposed to that other crowd from our wee Island.

Anyway fixed your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

+ 1 on the NSW Age card thingie. It's only $25 and they can do it for you there and then.

Also agree with Mandrake's post as I really don't encounter that many Irish on a night out. Probably down to the fact that I prefer normal Aussie pubs to the Irish ones but even when I do occassionally go to the Trinity it's never overflowing with the stereotype you just described...was it the Cock n Bull you were in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Ms Cool wrote: »
    Sick of the Oz pub scene. Hairy, drunk, smelly Irish emigrees trying to find a hole for their cock

If that's your view of the Oz pub scene then I think it's your own fault for frequenting those types of places tbh.

Like others I rarely meet people you describe so eloquently, in fact in two stints in Aus over last 4 years I can't remember ever meeting anything to that extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Mellor wrote: »
    If its purely for ID, you can get an NSW ID card from the RTA. A lot cheaper and quicker than drivers license.

Nice one, I'd been carrying around my passport for last few weekends because it's the only photo ID I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭whatever73

A bouncer in an RSL club one night wouldn't leave me in cause my passport was out of date, its still me you tool. A mate went to a wedding last night and said the bouncer stopped the bride from coming back into the reception after she had a smoke cause she'd had enough, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

So ordered our food from a girl behind the bar, I knew exactly what I was ordering as I had been here several times on lunch before and even had a pint with no trouble.

This time a lady asked me for ID, I advised I didn't have any as I usually don't carry it to work and didn't think I'd need any to purchase food on my lunch.

She said it was a requirement for me to have ID just to be on the premises but she never asked people in front of me for ID.

The first bit of power that she has experienced and it went to her head.
    Awww Bless :pac:
    whatever73 wrote: »
    A mate went to a wedding last night and said the bouncer stopped the bride from coming back into the reception after she had a smoke cause she'd had enough, lol.

I dont know if you actually believed this steaming load or you expect us to, get back to us will you.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭whatever73

The Aussie wrote: »
    The first bit of power that she has experienced and it went to her head.
    Awww Bless :pac:

I dont know if you actually believed this steaming load or you expect us to, get back to us will you.

100% it happened dickhead, in the PBH at 8 o clock Saturday night, there I got back to you!!

100% it happened dickhead, in the PBH at 8 o clock Saturday night, there I got back to you!!
    I find the fact that somebody would have a wedding reception in the PBH hardest to believe.
    You mate is winding you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod Please take your name calling elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

100% it happened dickhead.

Right, so my neighbours friend heard from the postman that sally at the pub overheard from the barman say that some drunk slapper said so.
    Well, it must be the "100%" truth then, the rest of your quote is fairly low common denominator type stuff.
    In the PBH at 8 o clock Saturday night.

Just waiting for a response from them.

Advertisement