Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banff

Options
  • 02-11-2012 4:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭

Hi there, just wondering are there any boardies in Banff right now? I arrived in Calgary on Tuesday but keeping my options open right now.

-What's it like to live there?

-How's the job market right now, good or flooded with people looking for work?

-Better to work and live near the slopes or in the town itself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

anyone that can help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    anyone that can help?

http://samesun.com/backpackers-hostels/banff/

I stayed here. Its a minefeild of information. And its cheap.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

any time I've been in Banff there are always help wanted signs up everywhere alot of the jobs come with accomodation aswell.

Have never looked for a job there so can't comment on the amount of competition for the jobs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 V8_man

Banff is a lot of fun, and I also noticed a lot of foreigners working there, mostly Australians. That was in the summertime. There is plenty to do and it's a hive of activity. I don't normally go in 'Irish' pubs but there is a great one there:

http://stjamesgatebanff.com/Employment/tabid/596/language/en-US/Default.aspx

thanks a lot guys, was just freaking out a bit here in Calgary and got homesick for the first time on my travels (was in Toronto for a year before now). some people thinks its too early to go there, others too late. well hopefully its the perfect time for me!

surprised there isn't any boardsies staying in Banff, lots of Irish in Calgary, feels like half of my Calgary hostel are Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I was living out near Banff last year for a few months. It's a beautiful place, I'd really love to go back if I went out on another visa. The place is run by Australians. The night life is great and there always seemed to jobs going. It's close enough to Calgary on the bus. Banff is easy enough to scout from Calgary.

I was living out near Banff last year for a few months. It's a beautiful place, I'd really love to go back if I went out on another visa. The place is run by Australians. The night life is great and there always seemed to jobs going. It's close enough to Calgary on the bus. Banff is easy enough to scout from Calgary.

Leaving Calgary tomorrow, yipppeeee! I've cheered up a good bit but I don't want to be in Calgary, so fecking spread out, much preferred Toronto and a lot of people don't like Toronto.

Were you working in Banff yourself John? I'm hoping to get a half decent serving job, you'll need the tips out there I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Leaving Calgary tomorrow, yipppeeee! I've cheered up a good bit but I don't want to be in Calgary, so fecking spread out, much preferred Toronto and a lot of people don't like Toronto.

Were you working in Banff yourself John? I'm hoping to get a half decent serving job, you'll need the tips out there I'd say.

I know what you mean, I wasn't too gone on Calgary myself. I've been in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver as well but Calgary was easily my least favourite city. I was working outside Banff at Moraine Lake. It was about half an hour/45 minute drive outside Banff. We used to go into Banff to go shopping or for nights out. It's a beautiful place. I'd try the ski hills around Banff like Sunshine Village for a job. All these ski resorts have restaurants as well so you can do serving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

If I were to do it all over again, Id live in Banff instead of Vancouver.
    Plenty of work and such a beautiful place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Is there any time of year that's not a good time to look for work in Banff?

Thinking of heading over around March time. How would that be?

• Advertisement

kraggy wrote: »
    Is there any time of year that's not a good time to look for work in Banff?

Thinking of heading over around March time. How would that be?

I have read that February is meant to be a good time to come over as it is mid-season and slopes need more staff as well as staff turnover.

Advertisement