Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help identifying trilobite?

Options
  • 02-11-2012 6:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭

This one's from my very own private collection which I keep in a small treasure chest XD I've been unable to identify it, tho. It's very well preserved and there's part of another one underneath but is still kind of inside the rock.

Anyone has any idea of what genus/species this may be?

A6rATvoCEAAyCfV.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

No idea I'm afraid. Where did you find it? It's preserved impeccably well.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Guyett

Contact Patrick Wyse Jackson in Trinity College, he'd probably be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 13th Skull

yep_it's_a_trilobite.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Looks like Marruecos a bit. Not sure but that is what it looks like to me.

EDIT@ My mistake it is certainly not Marruecos

Possibly Dechenella burmeisteri ??0204Bt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Ziphius

Maybe you could try a key such as this one http://www.trilobites.info/trilokey.htm#6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

dlofnep wrote: »
    No idea I'm afraid. Where did you find it? It's preserved impeccably well.

Oh, I didn´t find it, it was a gift from my father. I don´t know for sure where it came from but I'm almost sure it'´s from Morocco.
    Guyett wrote: »

Will do, thanks :>
    Rubecula wrote: »
    Looks like Marruecos a bit. Not sure but that is what it looks like to me.

EDIT@ My mistake it is certainly not Marruecos

Possibly Dechenella burmeisteri ??0204Bt.jpg

I think I may have found a closer match, the so called Metacanthina. Looks a lot like mine:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwv39e-3NDCxKs3nyThhuQSsbwQ4-3aKgH-1uTUDxR04xQFEMcenOXX_dmUA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

Guyett wrote: »

I just got reply from him.
    It looks like Metacanthina to me. Some authors suggest that this genus is now known as Bellacartwrightia.

Patrick

So it seems I was right after all :D

Thanks a lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Nice :)

Come to think of it - are there any digging sites in Ireland where we could find trilobites?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Well done Adam you got it. I was hoping to beat you to it :D I should have known better than to try. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

dlofnep wrote: »
    Nice :)

Come to think of it - are there any digging sites in Ireland where we could find trilobites?
    There are smaller devonian and silurian outcrops, but AFAIR they're pretty bereft of fossils, by comparison to the series in the UK. The Lower Carboniferous stuff which blankets most of the island can throw up trilobites on very rare occasions as they were getting very scarce as a group by then. IIRC there's just one example in the natural history museum phillipsia found in north Dublin quarry in the late 19th century (again IIRC).

As a kid I looked hard for one but had no joy. Not even a sniff. Looking back I suspect it's because I was looking in preserved environments where they wouldn't be common, if present at all. Coral zones type of thing. I suspect there are preserved environments out there where you may have a far greater chance of finding one. Goes for Carboniferous fish too. I mean the seas would have been stuffed with them, yet the best I ever came up with was a tiny section of vertebra. I found that in malahide so in he general area of the museum trilobite, so maybe that neck of the woods though not as obviously fossiliferous as some Carb sites(and a tough old rock matrix) might be the best kind of area to concentrate your efforts D.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement