Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starsan

Options
  • 02-11-2012 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

So I've heard here before that you can reuse starsan a good few times for sanitizing.
    I've one beer ready to be kegged now and was wondering if I sanitized that could I store the starsan solution in another clean keg / fermenter for a few weeks until I need to use it again, or will it eventually start to damage / corrode the keg?

If not what's best to use to store starsan solution?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

You can store the starsan solution in a container alright. Just check that the ph is below three and it will be fine. My water makes the starsan solution go cloudy but the ph stays below three which is fine. Some say starsan solution can corrode a corny but not sure really. I would imagine the coke/pepsi syrup originally in used cornies would test out a keg.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

Store your starsan in an old 25L plastic fermenter or something that's not overly important to you, and keep the cornies for beer! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭NewDirection

Would there be any problem using the fermenter again for fermenting beer after using it to store starsan for a while (I presume it should be super clean :D )?

How do you test if the ph is below three?

Last question, I've seen on videos that lads keep a plastic spray bottle of starsan for sanitizing equipment, is there any special type of plastic the bottle needs to be, or will a run of the mill one from the garden section of the hardware store do the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

No problem using it.

Buy yourself a cheap pH meter, or pH strips (not sure about strips that low tho).

Spray bottle: an empty Windolene bottle or the like will do. No need to buy one specially for the job.

Advertisement