Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMS Portisham in trouble again

• 02-11-2012 9:59am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just saw this in the local paper. I'd say it's going to be hard to find a port,harbour anywhere that will be willing to take her in.

Scan22.jpg

These are a few photos I took of her last summer not much has changed but I can only image the amount of money, time and mindset a project like this is sucking up, it's sad in away she could be a nice boat with an interesting history http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Portisham_(M2781) when she is done. Some wooden planks are just too big for one man to carry.

2011-08-05143733.jpg

2011-08-05143256.jpg

2011-08-05142534.jpg

2011-08-05143433.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I went down for a full tour of her the other day with the owner Shane:)Although most of the work is been done above deck going below deck was like going back in time, the original crew's bunks and folding table still in place as well as the galley and a well used toaster, it makes you think of the conversations that must of went on around the table and the copper mesh covered radio room. The engine room was blackened from a fire caused by a fractured exhaust pipe. http://www.westerntelegraph.co.uk/news/4537841.Former_minesweeper_rescued_twice/ but the old control room was still intact including the clockwork phone and some very nice looking clocks and gauges.As I was leaving Shane asked me if I would like a little memento so me loving anything old and dirty from a boat got one of the lights from the engine room :D

20121105_152335.jpg

20121105_152345.jpg

After a bit of spit and polish it came out quite nice, now let me at the rest of the boat :D:D:D

20121109_180032.jpg

20121109_174545.jpg

20121109_174620.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

Very nice!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

that came up very well...looks lovely

Wow that's some transformation, really nice lamp now!

sorry, double post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭gonzo1

That is some job you did on that Fergal, what type of materials / Chemicals did you use if you don't mind me asking?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi gonzo, The light was rough cast so to bring it down smooth I used these at different at different grades.

$T2eC16FHJF8E9nnC6MvrBQMiYKzpWQ~~60_35.JPGimage-310.php?id=60455046734

Then I sanded with 400,800,1500 grit paper and finished it off with buffing discs that I got in Halfords. http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_764653_categoryId_165594_langId_-1?cm_sp=Intelligent_Offer-_-Product_Details_Zone_1-_-Blank&iozone=PDPz1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

think they should give you a few more bits to work on, would be re-furbished in no time !!

scuby wrote: »
    think they should give you a few more bits to work on, would be re-furbished in no time !!

No thanks :D I have to get back to building my own boat now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this is the latest in the ongoing saga of this boat. Some interesting points raised in this article.
    Man living in ‘floating home’ wins reprieve against council
    Supreme Court cites lack of proof that the 100 tonne vessel ‘Portisham’ is in Fingal area

A man living on a 100 tonne former minesweeper vessel in a Dublin harbour has won his Supreme Court appeal aimed at preventing it being removed and scrapped.

The three judge Supreme Court stressed it was allowing Shane Kennedy’s appeal only because Fingal County Council had failed to establish the necessary “technical proof” the Portisham vessel was located on the foreshore within the Council’s functional area.

Nothing in the judgment should be taken as establishing that the vessel’s location, and use as a habitation, is lawful, whether as a matter of planning law or any other basis, Mr Justice Frank Clarke stressed.

Mr Kennedy, an electronics engingeer aged in his 50s, has lived on the Portisham since buying it in Essex, England, in 2007 after it was decommissioned by the Royal Navy in 1989.

He paid €34,000 for it and estimates he has spent €70,000 doing it up. He spent three years in Weymouth and Pembroke before sailing to Ireland. He brought the vessel into Balbriggan harbour in 2010 despite the Council telling him it would not be permitted into any harbours in the Council’s area.

Mr Kennedy disputed the Council’s claims the vessel was unsafe and unseaworthy.

Refused offers

The Council offered Mr Kennedy alternative accommodation and took legal action in 2012 after he refused those offers. It had also received several complaints about the vessel being in the harbour.

The core issue in the Council’s case was whether the vessel was unauthorised development within the meaning of the Planning and Development Act 2000. The High Court ruled it was and also said the vessel was unseaworthy, unregistered and uninsured.

In a previous Supreme Court judgment of 2015 on Mr Kennedy’s appeal against the High Court decision, Ms Justice Mary Laffoy said the Council had failed to provide the necessary proof Portisham was located on the foreshore, the line of high water of medium tides, within the Council’s functional area.

While it was “highly probable” the vessel was moored on the foreshore, the Council had to provide technical proof of that before final orders could be made under Section 160 of the 2000 Act, she said. If the vessel is moored to and floating over the foreshore, it required planning permission which Mr Kennedy had neither sought nor obtained, the judge noted.

The matter was adjoured for further submissions in another hearing.

Second judgment

In a second judgment on Thursday, Mr Justice Frank Clarke said the position had not changed and it was “surprising in the extreme” the Council had not introduced relevant certified ordnance survey maps as evidence of boundaries.

While it might be possible to accept there was sufficient evidence to establish the harbour pier is part of the Council’s functional area, Portisham is not “on” the pier but is rather moored to the pier in a location which may, or may not, be on the foreshore, he said.

There continues to a be a “technical lack of proof” that Portisham, as a habitation, is within the functional area of Fingal, due to a technical lack of proof as to the precise location of the foreshore by reference to the positioning of the vessel, he said.

In the circumstances, and because the Council had got an opportunity to deal with the technical proof issue, the court would allow the appeal.

Earlier, noting Mr Kennedy’s complaint the court had not dealt with his claims of alleged breach of his rights to his home, the judge said the sole basis for the Council’s case was the 2000 Act and it was the issue the court must address.

If the court had found a breach of the Act, it would be clear Mr Kennedy acted in “flagrant breach” of the planning law, he said. The fact the vessel was his home would then have to be taken into account but, of itself, could not allow a court to overlook a flagrant breach of planning law.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/man-living-in-floating-home-wins-reprieve-against-council-1.3096381

• Advertisement

:D Nice to see the little man get one up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,489 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

fergal.b wrote: »
    :D Nice to see the little man get one up.

Yes.

Property owners here can sit on rat and vandal infested buildings for decades and nothing is said to them, but God forbid if you do something as un-Irish as living on a boat. People in this country can't get their heads around that.

Advertisement