Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody know if this is true?

Options
  • 02-11-2012 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

That the height of your child at 2 years old is half their eventual adult height?

If so then my daughter is going to be 6 foot!! :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

It's not always true, but it can be!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

It worked on me and my siblings to the inch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

It has been accurate for mine.

Suggest early enrollment with the local basketball team :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It's 2 years and 6 months I thought?

They can stick them in those per percentile charts from a very early age though and extralopate from there. If anyone is doing the SCOPE or BASELINE study with their kids, they do those calculations every 6 months or so. They have been sticking at the prediction of 170cm adult height for my daughter for the last 3 measurements.

Taller than me, hard to believe now when you look at height of her.

Lots can happen between now and then though, and you never know what they will do as a teenager to affect their growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 what the heck

My mother says that for girls it is 18 months and boys 2 years. My daughter at 18 months was 33 1/2 inches which would make her 5 foot 7 inches at adult height.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Never heard of this before, too late to size them now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

So my son will be almost 7 feet:eek: His mother is 6'2" and her father 6'5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

It worked exactly for me! I'll be measuring my girl when she turns two next month. She is already a tall girl. I am 5'8 and my partner is 6 foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

No, it has nothing to do with it. It's all down to how much growth hormone is produced over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Charl0tte

dlofnep wrote: »
    No, it has nothing to do with it. It's all down to how much growth hormone is produced over the years.
    I don't believe theres any truth in it, just because a child might be on the small side when they were young, it doesn't account for the growth spurts they have along the way.

I recall my youngest brother being the smallest in his class, and of all of the children that lived nearby at his age, while I grew up as an average sized child for the same age along the way. Hes huge now. But I, as an adult, would be regarded quite small. There are too many variants to solidify the theory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭cch

Guess I'll have to report back in 16 years time whether it's true or not!!
    I'm 165cm and her dad is 180cm -ish so probably fairly average. Since she was born I've had so many comments about how long/tall she is, but seeing as she's the first baby I've had experience of I just shrug and say I dunno :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Yeah I heard that and measured my two boys when they turned two and now as teenagers they're still growing and the 17 year old it supposed to be 6'4" when he finally stops growing, he's not to far off and is towering about my 5'3".

Advertisement