Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trail shoes for cross country

Options
  • 02-11-2012 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭

Since I have a history of achilles probs, I am anxious about wearing spikes for winter running on grass (havent worn them since I was a kid).

Does anyone have a view on trail runners as a substitute for spikes?

Would they be a good substitute......or not materially different from regular runners.......or somewhere half way?

Tks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Somewhere halfway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

There is a few options here

Most people tend to go for the Innov8 X-Talon 212 or the pb walshe

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Once it comes to running through a muddy field then any thing about support or lack of in a shoe is irrelevant as you are on an uneven surface. Any cushioning is also irrelevant as the mud is way softer than the shoe will be.

You will get more grip in the mud from spikes, but if there are rocky sections trail shoes could be a better option. Trail shoes are better than regular road shoes if that is all you have though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

With a spike you have the option of changing spike length, wrt to trail shoes, you probably need a couple of pairs with different lug depth to suit the conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Thanks for the answers.....I might actually try those Innov8s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I have the Inov-8 Trailroc 245s and used them for one cross country race so far. They were fine for the conditions we faced, though if it was very muddy, spikes or a more heavily lugged shoe would be preferable.

Suited my needs, can be used for off-road, trail/road mix and cross country if and when I run one. No need to invest in spikes from me for what little I'd be doing.

thanksAre they on sale in town? or online only?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    thanksAre they on sale in town? or online only?

What town? ;)

Dublin - try amphibian king or anywhere else that stocks Inov-8.
    Galway - they definitely have them in Oranmore, just don't know what size.

Best to ring in advance wherever is nearest.

Also, there's 3 versions of the trailroc, each with varying heel-toe drop and levels of cushioning. Most minimal is the 235, zero drop, less cushioning & toe bumper, 245, 3mm drop, a little more cushioning and similar toe bumper, then the 255, 6mm drop, more cushioning & considerable toe & forefoot bumper.

What town?

Sorry my bad.Thanks for answer.

Got the Innov8 X-Talon 212; orthotics fit nicely into them and they were a major improvement in muddy conditions, cant say they are as good as spikes but they were good.......trialled them today for the first time and it was nice and wet and muddy and they stood up well.

Thanks for advice, satisfied customer.

(Also, Amphibian King Ballymount......very good shop).

• Advertisement
Advertisement