Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

2 daily Luton and Birmingham back with VLM fares from 39.99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

Great great news!

Decent times as well making a day trip for business very possible with you getting into Luton at 9.10am and back into Waterford at 8.20pm.

At the moment looks like you can do something like this for just over €100 and it starts from the end of April.

Well done to all for getting this service in place and I hope it will be a great success...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Its better than anyone expected i think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    2 daily Luton and Birmingham back with VLM fares from 39.99

sounds brill, where did you get this information?, nothing on WLR or cant see anything on airport page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

go on VML website

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I just put in a random weekend in May to Luton return and it is €104 ,not bad :)

http://flyvlm.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

Brilliant news.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Good news. It's great for people to have the options to fly from there at the very least if it suits them.

Prices look fairly reasonable. A return flight to Birmingham in May would cost €105 per person for the cheapest seats, and they have the option to upgrade up to executive class for €711!

However, you've always got to look at the competition, and you could fly from Dublin four different times per day for €20 return. For a couple that's a €170 saving, and I can see a lot of people who would prefer to drive there and make that saving. However once again it's great that people have the option and the choice to make that decision themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

hardybuck wrote: »

However, you've always got to look at the competition, and you could fly from Dublin four different times per day for €20 return. For a couple that's a €170 saving, and I can see a lot of people who would prefer to drive there and make that saving. However once again it's great that people have the option and the choice to make that decision themselves.

I don't think that is a realistic saving for 2 when you take the following into account when flying from Dublin instead of Waterford:

1. I just had a look at Ryanair from Dublin to Luton and it is €36 return on most days in May so lets say €70 for 2 people. Departing at about 7:30am and returning the next day at about 6:30pm.

2. It will cost at least €40 in fuel to get to and back from the airport if you have a pretty fuel efficient Diesel car.

3. Cheapest car parking for an overnight stay to match the flights is about €15.

4. It is going to take about 4 hours to get there and back in the car and you will definitely need to be there at least 90 mins before your flight so add another 90 mins onto the 4 hours and more hassle to get through the airport to the gate etc.

So €70 + €40 + €15 = €125 + 4 hours travel time and 90 mins to get through the airport etc.

Compare that with approx. €200 to fly from Waterford and get there 30 mins before the flight and get a lift out there from a family member or friend and I think the extra €75 you would pay is pretty much worth it in my book....

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭bookworms

Compare that with approx. €200 to fly from Waterford and get there 30 mins before the flight and get a lift out there from a family member or friend and I think the extra €75 you would pay is pretty much worth it in my book....

don't forget luggage charges with Ryanair if you plan a longer trip. Great news for the airport!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Great news. Really think the Airport need to push their marketing and aim towards places near Dublin as a hassle-free alternative to Dublin and the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jimbo1979

Great news with vlm airlines.there a Belgium carrier.flying to Birmingham and London from Waterford.I think there main base in London is London city airport.which is great news.hopefully onwards and upwards for the south east region

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Compare and contrast:

A plucky little Belgian airline sees a future in the south east of Ireland and is willing to put its money where its mouth is.

Members of the political class, with access to very large amounts of capital, and on the gravy-train, abandon Waterford and don't give a rats a$$ about the south east; save for the odd tuppence ha'penny to keep a lid on civil disobedience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

reni10 wrote: »
    I don't think that is a realistic saving for 2 when you take the following into account when flying from Dublin instead of Waterford:

1. I just had a look at Ryanair from Dublin to Luton and it is €36 return on most days in May so lets say €70 for 2 people. Departing at about 7:30am and returning the next day at about 6:30pm.

2. It will cost at least €40 in fuel to get to and back from the airport if you have a pretty fuel efficient Diesel car.

3. Cheapest car parking for an overnight stay to match the flights is about €15.

4. It is going to take about 4 hours to get there and back in the car and you will definitely need to be there at least 90 mins before your flight so add another 90 mins onto the 4 hours and more hassle to get through the airport to the gate etc.

So €70 + €40 + €15 = €125 + 4 hours travel time and 90 mins to get through the airport etc.

Sorry, but I did mean ticket price. That was the first price I checked. I did another random checks in June and got a €134 saving on tickets for a couple. Agree broadly on fuel prices, parking cost, and journey time from Waterford city. Don't forget parking in Waterford is €8 per day or €35 per week as well if you don't have a lift. Therefore a real saving of somewhere closer to €80-90 for a couple driving up.

Also, potential customers from the likes of Wexford, KK, Carlow etc. will be closer to Dublin and a spin to Waterford as well, this is the market they'll be looking to develop.

I think the Luton service is even better value as generally flying into London can be expensive. Ryanair to Luton is about €50 cheaper from Dublin per person. You'd more than likely go from Waterford for that money.

Who are this new airline anyway? Something associated with Cityjet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

hardybuck wrote:
    Who are this new airline anyway? Something associated with Cityjet?

They were a premium Belgian airline with Fokker 50 from the early 90s until AF KLM bought them and merged them with Cityjet. Then when Intro bought Cityjet former management bought the Fokker 50s and effectively "de-merged", leasing crews to Cityjet and anyone else who needs one . New to the market, but the name has history.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,174 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I wish waterford well!

I wonder will VLM expand in WAT or even to the rest of ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Carnacalla wrote:
    I wonder will VLM expand in WAT or even to the rest of ireland?

They seem to be hitting niche markets, and with there being no flights from Birmingham to Kerry, Shannon, Knock, Donegal or Derry very soon they may look into 1 or 2, or not. I'd imagine possibly more UK expansion, although it is very saturated.

I was just booking with them there, and noticed that you get a hold bag included in the essentials price(cheapest)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

dzilla wrote: »
    I was just booking with them there, and noticed that you get a hold bag included in the essentials price(cheapest)

That actually makes its of comparable value to ryanair then!

yeah as far as i can make out il have a hold bag included in the ticket... very flexible.

I also find Luton airport very handy they have connections as far as Israel , Turkey and the rest of Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 air2000

VLM Essential passengers are allowed the following: - Check-in (hold) luggage:
    One bag per passenger weighing a maximum of 23kg.

Nothing wrong with 23KGs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

air2000 wrote: »
    VLM Essential passengers are allowed the following: - Check-in (hold) luggage:
    One bag per passenger weighing a maximum of 23kg.

Nothing wrong with 23KGs!!

They really need to push that fact in the marketing. €39:99 including 23kg bag is pretty competitive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

They really need to push that fact in the marketing. €39:99 including 23kg bag is pretty competitive!

Wait a sec. Who is this flying with?

househero wrote: »
    Wait a sec. Who is this flying with?

VLM!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Great news, and well done to all at the airport. Talks have been ongoing for a number of months now at this stage and have seem to have paid off.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Based on what Ive heard all winter, it means Fcuk all.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

They have a "complimentary in flight service"
    I wonder what that is exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Daisy 55 wrote: »

I love that you are asking that!

We have gone from worrying that the airport would be closed to trying to see if we can get a free drink on flights to London :P:D

b757 wrote: »
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think have a lazy eye there!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Was only asking! Unusual on short flights, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Daisy 55 wrote: »

VLM offer complimentary catering and bar.

On a flight this length, I'd imagine a very small pastry/sandwich/snack and a free drink.

Advertisement