Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

jimbo1979 wrote: »
    Let's hope Wlr who claim to be Waterford's local station stops with the advertising of cork airport on there add breaks and starts advertising to the local people Waterford airport!

This isn't just a WLR thingy, Shannon Airport have and had Billboards and Radio adverts around Cork since Cork Airport has suffered a demise.

Cork did this to Shannon years ago aswell when Shannon had a downturn.

Just business unfortunately and WLR aren't going to turn their nose up to it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 AviationUK

I'd love to do an overnight break in London from Waterford. Can anyone recommend a cheap but nice hotel? It'd be great if the Waterford travel agents did some deals with affordable hotels in London and built some packages aimed at locals.

The best value chain I know is Travelodge - very clean and basic.

Other good chain hotels are;

Premier Inn
    Hotel Inn
    Ibis

If you sign up to receive email alerts from Travelodge they often send out voucher codes to use!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Let's hope Wlr who claim to be Waterford's local station stops with the advertising of cork airport on there add breaks and starts advertising to the local people Waterford airport!

WLR & Beat's majority owners are a Cork company anyway aren't they? They own Red FM too. Might have something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Don't be ridiculous. WLR is a commercial station and is not going to turn away perfectly good advertising revenue. The News & Star would have good Waterford credentials too, but I've seen ads for Cork Airport there too.

What really matters is that people in Waterford and the surrounding area get behind these services now and start flying out of WAT again. If it means spending an extra €30 or €40 over Dublin, then we should be supporting our local Belgian airline!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

fricatus wrote: »
    Don't be ridiculous. WLR is a commercial station and is not going to turn away perfectly good advertising revenue. The News & Star would have good Waterford credentials too, but I've seen ads for Cork Airport there too.

What really matters is that people in Waterford and the surrounding area get behind these services now and start flying out of WAT again. If it means spending an extra €30 or €40 over Dublin, then we should be supporting our local Belgian airline!

Yes, IF that is the difference. In the last few years of the London service, the difference was much greater. If it's going to cost me a hundred euro or more extra, I'll go to Dublin or Cork.

• Advertisement

katydid wrote: »
    Yes, IF that is the difference. In the last few years of the London service, the difference was much greater. If it's going to cost me a hundred euro or more extra, I'll go to Dublin or Cork.

And that is your choice and you are entitled to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,174 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I think Waterford airport should start advertising now. They should target more then Waterford too. Imo they should have advertising from Youghal through Clonmel and Kilkenny all the way to Enniscourty, and everywhere in between. This would be a market where Waterford Airport is the obivous choice (providing price isnt an issue).

Until Waterford do this, I doubt they will hold onto these services for long as the airline is not well known.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I think Waterford airport should start advertising now. They should target more then Waterford too. Imo they should have advertising from Youghal through Clonmel and Kilkenny all the way to Enniscourty, and everywhere in between. This would be a market where Waterford Airport is the obivous choice (providing price isnt an issue).

Until Waterford do this, I doubt they will hold onto these services for long as the airline is not well known.

Waterford airport do advertise.

dzilla wrote: »
    Waterford airport do advertise.

To what extent? Over the past 3 years I've spent at least 3 months in waterford county and I have not heard/seen a waterford airport ad. Never on WLR fm, never on Billboards, never on the Dungarvan town newspaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Does anyone pay attention to a billboard when booking a flight? Might make you aware of an airport but that is about it. Surely people now use the likes of Skyscanner to find flights?

Also, if there are two flights a day SURELY they can organise a bus to and from the aiport at these times?

• Advertisement

O Riain wrote: »
    Does anyone pay attention to a billboard when booking a flight? Might make you aware of an airport but that is about it. Surely people now use the likes of Skyscanner to find flights?
    Id say alot of people are unaware that Waterford airport has flights therefore go straight to ORK or DUB.
    I never use Skyscanner.
    Also, if there are two flights a day SURELY they can organise a bus to and from the aiport at these times?
    Shannon airport barely has a Bus service, and that airport has 6 services to london a day.
    Remember that its a 50 seater plane as well, the most you'd get on a bus is 10 and even less if your only picking them up from one place.

Id say alot of people are unaware that Waterford airport has flights therefore go straight to ORK or DUB.
    I never use Skyscanner.

Shannon airport barely has a Bus service, and that airport has 6 services to london a day.
    Remember that its a 50 seater plane as well, the most you'd get on a bus is 10 and even less if your only picking them up from one place.

Why don't you use Skyscanner?

Also Bus Eireann stop at Shannon airport 14 times a day, what are you talking about "barely" has a bus service?

Edit: I don't mean a dedicated bus service but maybe another bus could stop off there on the way to wherever it is going. Even if Waterford airport organised a shuttle bus at a fiver a pop or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

They need to go up further. Right up through Kildare and Wicklow, on Dublin's doorstep. This area has a huge population and Waterford is easy to get to from there. Hassle-free alternative to Dublin kind-of-thing.

O Riain wrote: »
    Why don't you use Skyscanner?

I dont trust it, I find it quite irrational at times (seriously, why even list a 25hr stopover) and Id never book with any website that's not a well-known travel agent or the ailrine itself. I've been caught before and ended up shelling out €380 for a flight to London.
    Also Bus Eireann stop at Shannon airport 14 times a day, what are you talking about "barely" has a bus service?

Its completely useless for early morning departures/late night arrivals and its come under threat several times before.

I dont trust it, I find it quite irrational at times (seriously, why even list a 25hr stopover) and Id never book with any website that's not a well-known travel agent or the ailrine itself. I've been caught before and ended up shelling out €380 for a flight to London.

Its completely useless for early morning departures/late night arrivals and its come under threat several times before.

But it still stops 14 times a day.

As for skyscanner, you can tick a box to remove those ridiculous flights and you don't book with Skyscanner, you generally book with the website of the airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

road_high wrote: »
    They need to go up further. Right up through Kildare and Wicklow, on Dublin's doorstep. This area has a huge population and Waterford is easy to get to from there. Hassle-free alternative to Dublin kind-of-thing.

I'd say you'd be hard pushed to find a town in Kildare or Wicklow that would find it easier to get to Waterford airport than Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

I should point out that there's signs all over Waterford City for WAT, as well as billboards around Wexford town... until they decided to cancel flights...

To what extent? Over the past 3 years I've spent at least 3 months in waterford county and I have not heard/seen a waterford airport ad. Never on WLR fm, never on Billboards, never on the Dungarvan town newspaper.

You are so wrong here.

I can think of at least 5 - 6 billboards for WAT, there where billboards and signs around the city with Pictures of ladies shopping in Manchester the bullring shopping center in Birmingham with the flyWaterford logo.

WLR fm have been running ads for years with a woman and a man discussing how they could be in Manchester by lunch time or something.

Can't speak for Dungarvan, I drive through there a few times a week and am sure I have seen Billboards in the past to some extent. They might be up against it west of the county with the proximity to Cork. I think that Kilkenny - Wexford - Waterford is what they concentrate on.

hardybuck wrote: »
    I'd say you'd be hard pushed to find a town in Kildare or Wicklow that would find it easier to get to Waterford airport than Dublin.

Think if I lived in South Kildare or west Wicklow the spin down to waterford would and could be a lot less hassle than facing the m50 or N7.

Think if I lived in South Kildare or west Wicklow the spin down to waterford would and could be a lot less hassle than facing the m50 or N7.

Have you driven from West Wicklow to Waterford?

• Advertisement

Have you driven from West Wicklow to Waterford?

Regularly. Hop on the M9 anywhere from Junction 2 to 4 and less than an hour to Waterford. Simples...

Regularly. Hop on the M9 anywhere from Junction 2 to 4 and less than an hour to Waterford. Simples...

Or go the other direction to Dublin, AFTER you've trekked cross country.

As someone who's about 40 minutes closer to Waterford Airport than Dublin Airport, I can safely say I'd much rather use Waterford, even Cork, if I were flying to the UK. I've never used WAT, but I've been through all their levels of security and gates and it's a doddle compared to Dublin. Why turn up 90 minutes early to DUB when you can go 30 minutes early to Waterford and make good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Or go the other direction to Dublin, AFTER you've trekked cross country.

You do that then, knock yourself out. Good to have a choice though isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Quick Video Report on one of VLM's current routes. Some people may find it interesting to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGypnUJZkhw

I posted this on the aircraft forum page too, I know some people view both but the majority of the people here wouldn't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Anybody know if VLM are crewing the aircraft with WA|T based staff or are they using LCY based crew and night stopping in WAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Plane Fan

Suppose we'll have to wait til operations commence to find out!

It's Strange how VLM didn't take over the Manchester route! There are plenty of gaps in the schedule for a based aircraft and considering it did so well last summer, it would seem logical to operate it!

Jamie2k9 wrote:
    Anybody know if VLM are crewing the aircraft with WA|T based staff or are they using LCY based crew and night stopping in WAT?

I'd assume it is WAT based, as they'd have to fly empty most likely and do V routing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

WAT based

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Wouldn't it be fantastic if this airline added a European route! to Belguim! Fingers crossed!

Advertisement