Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,174 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

linny wrote: »
    god ya can sing that just checked, return flight for two in October to Birmingham over 300euro compared to 90euro with Ryanair

But that's not a fair comparison is it?
    With VLM you have a checked bag, free snacks and even more importantly, flights from WAT and not DUB

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

Carnacalla wrote: »
    But that's not a fair comparison is it?
    With VLM you have a checked bag, free snacks and even more importantly, flights from WAT and not DUB

Not 100% fair I suppose if ya were going shopping and ya need big bag, But just for two night break all ya need is a bag and ya get 2nd bag now with Ryanair, and parking is only about 40euro if even, at Dublin airport

just checked 19.95euro for parking so that's about 200euro saving for an extra 25 mins in the car to get to dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭space2ground1

When it comes to a weekend away, Id put a lot of value on the time saved and convenience of Waterford. In reality it's a small airport. You can drive to the huge supermarket where bread is 50c or walk to the small local shop where the local baker sells the bread for €2. It's a nicer experience and costs more. There's room for either choice depending on what's needed. If I'm broke and have to go to London at minimum cost and I've time to spare then I'll drag to Dublin or Cork. If I'm hoping to enjoy a trip, I'll be looking to do my best to go from Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

god ya can sing that just checked, return flight for two in October to Birmingham over 300euro compared to 90euro with Ryanair

It's because Waterford is so fabulously wealthy.

Not 100% fair I suppose if ya were going shopping and ya need big bag, But just for two night break all ya need is a bag and ya get 2nd bag now with Ryanair, and parking is only about 40euro if even, at Dublin airport

just checked 19.95euro for parking so that's about 200euro saving for an extra 25 mins in the car to get to dublin

The 2nd bag is basically a rugsack or handbag.
    I know several people who would bring a suitcase for a weekend away, nevermine a weeks holidays. With Ryanair your going to pay an extra €70 for that, so suddenly your €90 is now €160. Factor in a more stressful journey through Dublin and the fact that it's main market are well within the Waterford area, it makes sense. Maybe for you it may not be as beneficial, it being only 25mins extra to DUB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Johnnyvegas2

Not a true comparison, you can get flights in Nov for 55e. If booked in advance there's great value available. With only 50seats and world cup on in Sept/Oct, prices are always going to be more expensive if only booking now. Fantastic service and worth every penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

People should also relise that these are only 50 seater planes... its a sellers market to be fair. VLM know what people will pay so if they are charging expensive prices its because they know they can move seats at that price. Business is business.

I will be going to BHX soon and the flights are 40 from Dublin and 165 from Waterford. Sounds a big difference on paper but to be honest the Dublin flight is at stupid o clock in the morning and the Waterford flight is in the middle of the day so I only need to take a half days holidays and one of the folks will drop me there.

Diesel - 38euro
    Parking in Dublin - 20
    Snack on the plane - 7

Brings the cost from Dublin up to 105.
    Id still save 60 quid from Dublin but to be honest I will pay the 60 for the convenience and because I value my time at home and not on the motorway and having to be in Dublin 90 mins before a short hop flight allocating for traffic etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Auguat saw BHX lf of 64.4% and LTN lf of 72%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Auguat saw BHX lf of 64.4% and LTN lf of 72%.

Wow, that's pretty good! Nice to see that it is continually improving month by month.

Onward connections to Eastern Europe now being advertised in conjunction with Wizz air on the Waterford airport website.

Will you be able to buy the whole flight via VLM website I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

dzilla wrote: »
    Onward connections to Eastern Europe now being advertised in conjunction with Wizz air on the Waterford airport website.

Where is this on the website?

Have been waiting for this announcement for the past couple of months.. :)

Edit: Found it.

WA-Eastern-Europe-Route-Web-Banner.png

b757 wrote: »
    Where is this on the website?

Have been waiting for this announcement for the past couple of months.. :)

Edit: Found it.

WA-Eastern-Europe-Route-Web-Banner.png

Yup thats it. I suppose the airlines websites will get updated in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

dzilla wrote: »

Saw it last month in the terminal, sure they're advertising two separate tickets? On a separate note, Wizz and VLM but operate under Flexflight, a ticketing system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

That's pretty impressive to be fair. People in Waterford who say the airport has no choices can now fly to London twice daily, Birmingham four times a week, connect to Antwerp three times a week through the Birmingham flight and now connect to multiple Eastern Europien destinations through Wizz Air. If the routes don't succeed then the people of Waterford can not blame the airport. Use it or lose it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Anyone know when you will be able to book the Antwerp flights, and what the total travel time might be including the stopover?

Anyone know when you will be able to book the Antwerp flights, and what the total travel time might be including the stopover?

From their Facebook page
    The new VLM Airlines service from Birmingham-Antwerp starting soon on October 5th opens out some exciting new connections for passengers flying from Waterford via Birmingham. On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, it will be possible to depart Waterford at 11.50am and arrive in Antwerp at 5pm (local time). As well as being an attractive city break destination, Antwerp’s ideally located as a touring base and for those visiting cities such as Brussels, Bruges, Ghent and Leuven which are all in easy reach. Find out more at www.flyvlm.com and www.visitantwerpen.be
    Pic: © Visit Antwerpen - Anja De Roeck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

So will you be able to go onto VLM's website and select Waterford to Prague or whatever and get an all-in price and guaranteed connections etc? That'd be great. Hopefully the prices are competitive. I remember Wizz Air from when I was heading to Euro 2012, they had a reputation for being a low-fares airline so here's hoping.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    So will you be able to go onto VLM's website and select Waterford to Prague or whatever and get an all-in price and guaranteed connections etc? That'd be great. Hopefully the prices are competitive. I remember Wizz Air from when I was heading to Euro 2012, they had a reputation for being a low-fares airline so here's hoping.

As in the other Aviation and Aircraft thread, you will sadly have to buy 2 separate tickets and have no guaranteed connection. Wizz are an LCC still.

Antwerp will be one ticket through VLM via Birmingham.

The Wizz Air part seems a little strange at the moment as don't see why they are only advertising them from Luton and not others if you can't book a through ticket.

As in the other Aviation and Aircraft thread, you will sadly have to buy 2 separate tickets and have no guaranteed connection. Wizz are an LCC still.

Not great so. Pretty much no difference from the current situation where you can book a flight to any destination that flies from Luton. Would have been great if it was a partnership type configuration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

Anybody with any connections in the airport specifically management maybe able to answer this question for me.

Have they ever explored a route opening between Eindhoven and Waterford? I travel through this airport regularly and there is huge amount off traffic from there both to and from the Netherlands.

I think the Antwerp route could potentially attract some spillover from this airport but I often wonder was it actively explored.

Load factors for September?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

O Riain wrote: »
    Load factors for September?

Sorry O'Riain was that in reply to my post or a generic question?

Numbers arent available until around the 18th.
    Then you can go onto the CAA website and obtain the figures. An F50 has 50 seats.

Flew over and back to London about three weeks ago at this stage. Very impressed. No hassle checking in, boarding etc. The pastry and cup of tea on the flight was very welcome. The guy serving was not the friendliest chap in the world but he was ok. The only downside was the wait for checked baggage in Luton. Was maybe 30 minutes from when we disembarked to when our bags arrived.

Really happy overall and would definitely use the service again. 25 seats filled on each flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Plane Fan

Figures for SEP will probably drop compared to Aug but that's to be expected! Both routes are performing steadily which should hopefully lead to expansion in 2016, hopefully MAN will return!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Johnnyvegas2

Plane Fan wrote: »
    Figures for SEP will probably drop compared to Aug but that's to be expected! Both routes are performing steadily which should hopefully lead to expansion in 2016, hopefully MAN will return!

I reckon the rugby world cup will boost figures for latter part of Sep/Oct. I flew out last monday and plane was fully booked on way back due to irish game that Sunday.

Sorry O'Riain was that in reply to my post or a generic question?

Sorry boy, just a general question!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Flew over and back to London about three weeks ago at this stage. Very impressed. No hassle checking in, boarding etc. The pastry and cup of tea on the flight was very welcome. The guy serving was not the friendliest chap in the world but he was ok. The only downside was the wait for checked baggage in Luton. Was maybe 30 minutes from when we disembarked to when our bags arrived.

Really happy overall and would definitely use the service again. 25 seats filled on each flight.

That's constantly a problem with Luton Airport, slow checked in baggage waiting time.

• Advertisement

Numbers arent available until around the 18th.
    Then you can go onto the CAA website and obtain the figures. An F50 has 50 seats.

Can you provide a direct link to that please?

I had a look at the Irish Avaiton Authority's website and I can't see where to get figures for Waterford.

Advertisement