Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Any chance this is a publicity stunt?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

It's like any regulatory requirement: as long as you have all your documentation in order - and an insurance bond in place - then it's fairly straightforward.

But the fact that they didn't seem to know that they needed a TOL is strange, as it's one of the first things anyone embarking on this kind of project learns.

Contrary to what's frequently said on any of these threads, there's a great advantage to these kind of split operations, with the commercial side kept separate to the AOC. It keeps all the financial risk associated with operating the business away from the costs of maintaining and operating the aircraft. We'd have a much healthier regional airline network in Europe if ticket selling "virtual" airlines were encouraged, rather than obstructed (and constantly criticised on the internet! :p )

I then would ask who is running the show out there and why were they not aware of all necessities prior to the re-launch?
    After this I would sack them as it explains thoroughly the reasons for our governments reluctance to invest in the future of Waterford Airport!
    I'm sure the airport are not in charge of making sure that the airline itself has its ducks in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Real possibility that the airline may not be able to operate flights from the 24th, posts on Facebook now attempting to reassure passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Real possibility that the airline may not be able to operate flights from the 24th, posts on Facebook now attempting to reassure passengers.

What I don't get is The Commission for Aviation Regulation said that Aer Southeast still hasn't sent the application. What exactly are they waiting for considering flights are supposed to start in 19 days from now?

Feel bad for those who have paid, Aer Southeast should refund monies immediately and allow those to rebook if and when the site is up and running legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭914

Heard the news bite on WLR today and ended with "in the unlikely event that flights do not operate, passengers will be refunded" that doesn't fill you with confidence!

Why mention that if they are sure flights will go ahead.

• Advertisement

What I don't get is The Commission for Aviation Regulation said that Aer Southeast still hasn't sent the application. What exactly are they waiting for considering flights are supposed to start in 19 days from now?

Feel bad for those who have paid, Aer Southeast should refund monies immediately and allow those to rebook if and when the site is up and running legally.

Where have they said the application has not even been sent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭914

Deiseen wrote: »

That was also reported on WLR yesterday, that the commission has yet to receive an application.

914 wrote: »

That was also reported on WLR yesterday, that the commission has yet to receive an application.
    It's turning into a bit of a farce...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,445 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Bit of a strange one, doesn't sound very professional

Sounds like they don't actually want the service to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

http://www.wlrfm.com/news/local/119406-ceo-of-airline-due-to-fly-from-waterford-is-hopeful-licence-issue-can-be-resolved.html

Very first paragraph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The billboards are up as well, embarrassing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭Sosurface

What a sh1t show. Even if they get their licence they won't last 3 months at the prices they charge. But Oh it's great for the region etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Sosurface wrote: »
    What a sh1t show. Even if they get their licence they won't last 3 months at the prices they charge. But Oh it's great for the region etc etc

Only one thing for it. Let's all go to the mosque and pray.

Flights confirmed not operating on July 24th, fares refunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

It will be difficult to come back from this. Very poor preparation here.

Disastrous no matter how you look at it, also makes me wonder a bit about the competence of the airport management - it's not as if they have much else on their plate.

Bit vague on when flights will actually begin but this is a massive error. As above, it will be very very hard to come back from this.

Disastrous no matter how you look at it, also makes me wonder a bit about the competence of the airport management - it's not as if they have much else on their plate.
    How is up to them to check that the airline has their house in order? They're not there to baby sit companies using their airport.

• Advertisement

How is up to them to check that the airline has their house in order? They're not there to baby sit companies using their airport.

C'mon on! If you ran an airport with no regular service and someone proposed to use your empty runway wouldn't you be on top of this in every detail?

Tweeter feed for the statement from Southeast Aer-or chairman

https://twitter.com/WATairport?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Of course the airport should have been on top of them making sure everything was in order. Without them they have no airport! The whole lot is a disaster, a total embarrassment for the airport and airline. Such a basic error would make you doubt how the minds behind the airline can make it work if they've fallen at the first post.
    Very disappointing, was delighted when I first heard the announcement.

sillysocks wrote: »
    Of course the airport should have been on top of them making sure everything was in order. Without them they have no airport! The whole lot is a disaster, a total embarrassment for the airport and airline. Such a basic error would make you doubt how the minds behind the airline can make it work if they've fallen at the first post.
    Very disappointing, was delighted when I first heard the announcement.
    Same here, was delighted when it first started and it seemed like the airport may have been on the up again. Now there's just this overhanging sense of doom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Considering that the airport only keeps its government funding if it has scheduled flights, I would suspect slightly that airport management were far too keen on this deal.

So an airline, any airline, please please please. And with that desperation, some basic checks such as licence to actually sell tickets gets "forgotten"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Any update on when they may be up and running?

Have they applied for a licence yet?

Have they applied for a licence yet?
    I have a theory. As part of the license application, you need to put up a bond that covers the money that people have paid, in the event that your company goes bust. I think the problem is that they don't have assets/money worth enough to cover the bond being asked for. Would explain the unnatural delay for something that sounds relatively quick and straightforward.
    Maybe they were hoping to get the license after they'd sold enough tickets to pay the bond from their ticket sales.
    Either way, it is some cock up.

I'd be shocked if they didn't have access to funds like that, as they will need alot of funds to make any good go at Waterford services, without any funds their attempt will be just as bad as VLM.

Also, I don't think illegally selling tickets is a great strategy for a new company.

I'd be shocked if they didn't have access to funds like that, as they will need alot of funds to make any good go at Waterford services, without any funds their attempt will be just as bad as VLM.

Also, I don't think illegally selling tickets is a great strategy for a new company.
    Well, we don't know how much the bond is. Plus,  when you think about it, you do all this financial planning and costing every little detail of your business. Then you find out that you have to pay a bond that you didn't think you had to pay before. I imagine coming up with a lump sum such as that for a small company wouldn't be the easiest.
    Obviously this is all hearsay, I am just trying to figure out exactly what the hold is at this stage, because it is going on way longer than it should.

• Advertisement

It would be an extreme f**kup for a company to not investigate regulatory requirements in a new market.

Anyway I don't think we should speculate, there really is an unbelievable amount of possibilities.

Advertisement