Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Deiseen wrote: »
    Well, we don't know how much the bond is. Plus,  when you think about it, you do all this financial planning and costing every little detail of your business. Then you find out that you have to pay a bond that you didn't think you had to pay before. I imagine coming up with a lump sum such as that for a small company wouldn't be the easiest.
    Obviously this is all hearsay, I am just trying to figure out exactly what the hold is at this stage, because it is going on way longer than it should.

A bond is a small percentage of estimated turnover over a period. Considering most travel agents and small tour operators can access a bond, it would not be the most difficult thing to do and the CAR have stated it would just take a few days to be set up. No stenuous requiremnts are needed - just the cost of the bond.

My theory is the management at the airport needed ANY scheduled service to keep their grant and this was devised as a way to do that. But someone never told the operators of the new service that cold hard cash was needed for a bond.

Think - totally unknown, non Irish and new operator with no aircraft, little scheduled airline experience sets up in Waterford and flies to secondary UK destinations at a premium price using wetlease aircraft. Not even Anglo Irish bank would have funded that business plan.!

Maybe it was lucky the CAR stepped in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

^ Informative, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Anybody hear anything on this? The silence from both parties is certainly not reassuring. If flights are cancelled and people have to rebook via Dublin or Cork it will be late enough and they may have to pay last minute fares now ideal.

Just noticed they are now refunding all fares - statement on http://aersoutheast.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

dzilla wrote: »
    Just noticed they are now refunding all fares - statement on http://aersoutheast.com/

Posted on this thread 2 weeks ago.

Still, very disappointing for the airport, although you'd rather a proper service than some stringby service. I can imagine with such a poor setup as has been evident already, reliability would have likely of been shocking.

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Posted on this thread 2 weeks ago.

Still, very disappointing for the airport, although you'd rather a proper service than some stringby service. I can imagine with such a poor setup as has been evident already, reliability would have likely of been shocking.

The statement 2 weeks ago was for July i only I believed.

I hate being negative about the whole thing but i reckon it is dead in the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd not give them my money, let's put it like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I hate being negative about the whole thing but i reckon it is dead in the water.

That's where it belongs to be honest. If there is to be a resumption of services from Waterford it can only have a chance of being successful if an established turboprop airline comes on board. A start up just won't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

That's where it belongs to be honest. If there is to be a resumption of services from Waterford it can only have a chance of being successful if an established turboprop airline comes on board. A start up just won't work.

It would be great if an established airline materialised onto the scene; but as Waterford people know - if you want something doing around here, you've got to do it yourself.

• Advertisement

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    It would be great if an established airline materialised onto the scene; but as Waterford people know - if you want something doing around here, you've got to do it yourself.

Despite the name, I don't think anything about this airline relates to Waterford!

I wouldn't be so sure they won't give the routes a go, although I can likely tell what the ultimate outcome is.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

If you look at the photograph of the airplane on the about us section of the website, it's a pretty poor Photoshop effort in fairness. Doesn't give a good impression. Right click the see the same name of the image file.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

http://www.beat102103.com/news/four-staff-temporarily-let-go-waterford-airport/

Looks like the whole ticket mess has caused four people to lose their jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭914

One disaster after another for the airport recently, what are they up to out there? Not looking good unfortunately.

This is probably just being used to try and expedite the process with whomever is issuing the licence. If they are not careful a few managers might have to be temporarily be relived of their duties.

http://www.beat102103.com/news/four-staff-temporarily-let-go-waterford-airport/

Looks like the whole ticket mess has caused four people to lose their jobs

1). What in the name of God were they doing before the announcement of the service?

2). They haven't lost their jobs, it's temporary as says in the article.

This is probably just being used to try and expedite the process with whomever is issuing the licence. If they are not careful a few managers might have to be temporarily be relived of their duties.

As above and as publically stated by CAR, a tour operators bond is very simple to obtain and takes no more than a few days.

Only problem seems that it involves handing over real money - and its not an onerous amount.

Remember. EVERY tour / package holiday company musr hold one and even the smallest have never had an issue.

CAR will not change the relatively easy terms for anyone as the bond is there to protect the public. - Just remember back to lowcostholidays last year. All Irish Customers were fully protected, whereas UK customers weren't.

Looks like issues with a top heavy company if the union press lease is anything to go by. Some stern words in the release

Awful shame this happening, hopefully things will be sorted soon and the airline get up and running.

https://unitetheunionireland.org/2017/07/24/unilateral-waterford-airport-layoffs-unacceptable-says-unite/

914 wrote: »
    Looks like issues with a top heavy company if the union press lease is anything to go by. Some stern words in the release

Awful shame this happening, hopefully things will be sorted soon and the airline get up and running.

https://unitetheunionireland.org/2017/07/24/unilateral-waterford-airport-layoffs-unacceptable-says-unite/

Unite - a union run by a publicity seeking troublemaker. Of all unions they are the most despised shower of wkers you can get.

If they start crap, expect the airport to close.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Unite - a union run by a publicity seeking troublemaker. Of all unions they are the most despised shower of wkers you can get.

Wonder if any of the boards members have any inside info, as a few people who post here always seem to know what's happening.

Either way things do not look good, first the new airline fiasco and now this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

If theres no work for these people, realistically the only option is lay offs. You'd think listening to mr Union, the airport existed primarily to give his members work. A shaky business like the airport, the last thing it can afford or need is troublesome staff.
    Who is paying them until now? Please don't say public funds...I understand they have some contracts like the Search and rescue and some private aviation but they're hardly enough to warrant many full time staff.

914 wrote: »

Slightly disturbing if true. Redundancy in a circumstance like this should be across the board as if there's no revenues being created to support the coal face workers, where is it for management (if there's nothing much to manage the should go too).
    It doesn't sound like a strong team with a flat line structure which you'd need for something so small to work

road_high wrote: »
    If theres no work for these people, realistically the only option is lay offs. You'd think listening to mr Union, the airport existed primarily to give his members work. A shaky business like the airport, the last thing it can afford or need is troublesome staff.
    Who is paying them until now? Please don't say public funds...I understand they have some contracts like the Search and rescue and some private aviation but they're hardly enough to warrant many full time staff.
    Yes, PUBLIC FUNDS.

And by not having a schedule service they are losing their public funding. Hence I and others think that the aer southeast service was a last throw of the dice by management - just they forgot to say a small amount of cash was needed up front.

Yes, PUBLIC FUNDS.

And by not having a schedule service they are losing their public funding. Hence I and others think that the aer southeast service was a last throw of the dice by management - just they forgot to say a small amount of cash was needed up front.

Where is this budget coming from? It should have ended immediately with the ending of scheduled services. Actually, I don't think public airports should receive any public funding except that for safety and infrastructural development. It certainly shouldn't be going to pay idle workers, be they operational or management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Wait ... there is an airport in waterford ???

Pero_Bueno wrote: »

Yes, has been for decades. Nice, modern facility apart from a short runway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

So do any Airbus 320s or Boeing 737s fly from there ?

So do any Airbus 320s or Boeing 737s fly from there ?

No as said there's an issue with the runway. Mainly turboprops and light aircraft

This is actually such a repetitive question on this thread at this stage. Yes there is an airport on Waterford. yes it has a Wikipedia page, yes a google search would have told you that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

This is actually such a repetitive question on this thread at this stage. Yes there is an airport on Waterford. yes it has a Wikipedia page, yes a google search would have told you that.

Methinks he was been sarcastic.

Advertisement