Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

dzilla wrote: »
    Pero_Bueno wrote: »
    Wait ... there is an airport in waterford ???

This is actually such a repetitive question on this  thread at this stage. Yes there is an airport on Waterford. yes it has a Wikipedia page, yes a google search would have told you that.
    He knew, he is just winding people up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

road_high wrote: »
    Where is this budget coming from? It should have ended immediately with the ending of scheduled services. Actually, I don't think public airports should receive any public funding except that for safety and infrastructural development. It certainly shouldn't be going to pay idle workers, be they operational or management.

One word - Halligan.

Parish politics, only interested in holding his seat. National interest simply doesn't come into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

This is all starting to sound very similar to what happened in the end at Galway Airport. Staff laid off, management kept on, staff held a sit in and took over the airport website, but it only generated limited media interest. Eventually the staff gave up, went home and there hasn't been a scheduled passenger flight from the airport since.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

This is all starting to sound very similar to what happened in the end at Galway Airport. Staff laid off, management kept on, staff held a sit in and took over the airport website, but it only generated limited media interest. Eventually the staff gave up, went home and there hasn't been a scheduled passenger flight from the airport since.

It does indeed. At least though in Galway you have Shannon and Knock Airports fairly close. Waterford is 160km from Dublin and 130 km from Cork Airports for example. With no scheduled flights it's hard to see a future at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Methinks he was been sarcastic.
    Deiseen wrote: »
    He knew, he is just winding people up.

No honestly it was news to me, yes I could have googled it and did in fact right after - but why delete the message, gets a conversation + info for others that didnt know.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Pero_Bueno wrote: »
    No honestly it was news to me, yes I could have googled it and did in fact right after - but why delete the message, gets a conversation + info for others that didnt know.

Cheers

You really won't get a conversation when you ask such a question on here.

Asking in a thread, called Waterford Airport, does waterford have an airport, is quite frankly quite stupid and I think we're capable of a better conversation, this isn't Facebook! Maybe even read the thread?

Anyway you know now regardless!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Jesus who the hell buys an airline service without even having the license pinned down?! This makes us look like a bunch of incompetent fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Jesus who the hell buys an airline service without even having the license pinned down?! This makes us look like a bunch of incompetent fools.

I don't think anyone bought one. It was more of a holding company with a front name, the flights would be operated by another crowd. Quite common in the aviation field with small carriers, think the Manx 2 "airline" that crashed in Cork a few years ago was something similar.
    I have a feeling Waterford Airport themselves had a direct hand as the slogan "Going Further" was used by them in the recent past as Aer South East are now using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I walk under the sign on the Tramore Road often enough, I'm tempted to spray "Going Nowhere" on it.

How does it make "us" look like fools??????

Its the airline's responsibility to check it has everything in order - its not for others to hold their hands.

A operators bond is fairly standard in most countries.

If anything it shows that the CAR were awake and active and acted within 24 hours. - Certainly no fools - unlike the UK regulators who allowed Lowcostholidays use a crappy bond from Spain and their UK customers got £7.50 compensation on holidays costing thousands whereas Irish customers got 100% compensation due to the insistence of CAR on bonds specifically for the Irish market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

CeilingFly wrote: »
    How does it make "us" look like fools??????

Its the airline's responsibility to check it has everything in order - its not for others to hold their hands.

A operators bond is fairly standard in most countries.

If anything it shows that the CAR were awake and active and acted within 24 hours. - Certainly no fools - unlike the UK regulators who allowed Lowcostholidays use a crappy bond from Spain and their UK customers got £7.50 compensation on holidays costing thousands whereas Irish customers got 100% compensation due to the insistence of CAR on bonds specifically for the Irish market.

It was Waterford Airport who shouted from the hills about these low cost flights to London etc and then had to pull it a day into the booking process, so they are directly to blame, of course it makes the region, not to mention the airport, look just stupid that they couldn't get such a basic thing right. For something which was so important to Waterford they really make a balls of this.

It was Waterford Airport who shouted from the hills about these low cost flights to London etc and then had to pull it a day into the booking process, so they are directly to blame, of course it makes the region, not to mention the airport, look just stupid that they couldn't get such a basic thing right. For something which was so important to Waterford they really make a balls of this.

The airport should have been able to assume that the operators of the service would have understood the very basic requirements of doing so.

Any junior solicitor intern would have known

It shows unprofessionalism by aer southeast, but the airport management were very desperate to get a scheduled service to keep their grants.

But "making fools" - naw, minor news in the overall scheme of things and became yesterday's news very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

CeilingFly wrote: »
    The airport should have been able to assume that the operators of the service would have understood the very basic requirements of doing so.

Any junior solicitor intern would have known

It shows unprofessionalism by aer southeast, but the airport management were very desperate to get a scheduled service to keep their grants.

But "making fools" - naw, minor news in the overall scheme of things and became yesterday's news very quickly.

It was too important an issue for assumptions and really should have been a coordinated effort.

I think it's becoming obvious now that the license isn't the only issue.

Absolutely no way it could take around 5 weeks for this issue to be sorted especially given the severity of it. At the very least they would have stated that the license has been applied for and that they are waiting for CAR to approve but they haven't. Something else is going on and it means they are not expecting the flights to start anytime soon.

The airport would have second half knowledge on progress of this issue and if it was going to be sorted in the coming days or weeks then they wouldn't have temporarily laid off staff. So they must know that it is not going to be easily resolved.

A statement is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Absolutely no way it could take around 5 weeks for this issue to be sorted especially given the severity of it. At the very least they would have stated that the license has been applied for and that they are waiting for CAR to approve but they haven't. Something else is going on and it means they are not expecting the flights to start anytime soon.

The airport would have second half knowledge on progress of this issue and if it was going to be sorted in the coming days or weeks then they wouldn't have temporarily laid off staff. So they must know that it is not going to be easily resolved.

A statement is needed.
    AFAIK you need a minimum of two aircraft to hold an airline operators license. This is the reason Euro Celtic was forced to cease operations when one of their aircraft was no longer air worthy after going off the runway at Sligo. This could be the reason why it is taking as long as it has

Bards wrote: »

A statement is needed.
    AFAIK you need a minimum of two aircraft to hold an airline operators license. This is the reason Euro Celtic was forced to cease operations when one of their aircraft was no longer air worthy after going off the runway at Sligo. This could be the reason why it is taking as long as it has

Makes sense! But surely they could just have an agreement with a leasing company that they would have a plane available for them in the event that they needed one!

Aer Southeast aren't looking for an AOC, Lipcan Aer already have one, the head company.

Bards wrote: »

Nope - they had wetlease aircraft all signed up, everything was in place. Only issue was the bond.

Seems it was the only item that hard cash was needed for too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

If this was an injured animal it would have been put out of its misery by now

and the people who sat by and watched it suffer in its demise should be held

accountable. Will someone ever pull the plug or trigger to end this façade!

How much are people being paid out there to do ..... nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭914

While I agree the airport has limped along but would pulling the plug not mean Waterford and the southeast losing the coast guard helicopter?

• Advertisement

914 wrote: »
    While I agree the airport has limped along but would pulling the plug not mean Waterford and the southeast 'losing' the coast guard helicopter?

I wouldn't know but what difference would that make?

While I agree the airport has limped along but would pulling the plug not mean Waterford and the southeast loosing the coast guard helicopter?

Didn't happen up in Sligo?

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Didn't happen up in Sligo?

It didn't, is sligo still not operational? Hence no one pulling the plug?

Does the airport not need to stay operational with staff in order to provide fueling, fire service and air traffic control to coast guard?

My question is if the plug is pulled on the airport, that would mean ceasing operations and how could the coast guard remain without the airport being operational?

I guess that would be question for the Fisher men or those who maybe in trouble at sea or land?

Recently it has been reported the coast has transferred people from Waterford to CUH suffering cardiac issues outside of the cardiac care hours in UHW, in that regard it would be a major loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,445 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

do people read media or talk to those who needed such services! that you simon or leo????

While I agree the airport has limped along but would pulling the plug not mean Waterford and the southeast 'losing' the coast guard helicopter?

What difference would it make losing the search and rescue.....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Waterford Air-Sea Rescue lads pulled two out of the drink only last week.

Coast Guard Helicopter (R117) recovers two from overturned vessel

The Waterford based Coast Guard Helicopter R117 has located and recovered two casualties from an overturned recreational vessel approximately 165 miles West SouthWest of Mizen Head, County Cork. The incident was co-ordinated by the Coast Guard Rescue Coordination Centre in Valentia. The alarm was raised by the activation of an EPIRB (Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon). The two casualties were successfully airlifted on board Rescue 117 earlier this afternoon and are being transferred to Tralee Hospital.

Speaking about the rescue Coast Guard's SAR Manager Gerard O'Flynn: “It highlights that if you can raise the alarm and stay afloat then you stand a very good chance of being rescued. I also want to compliment the Helicopter crew and Valentia on a very successful operation and thank the Air Corps for their support.”

It is believed the casualties had been trying to row across the Atlantic and has recently left Canada.

but then it's highly unlikely the Quiet Fella would know that being in Duberlin and an ignoramus

What difference would it make losing the search and rescue.....?

Base it in Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,445 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Base it in Cork!

maybe we should just move uhw to cork! im sure you ll get a second for that at a cabinet meeting there!

• Advertisement

The Waterford Air-Sea Rescue lads pulled two out of the drink only last week.

but then it's highly unlikely the Quiet Fella would know that being in Duberlin and an ignoramus

We're well catered for up here Harry! No expense spared, that I can assure you!

Advertisement