Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Oh dear. I was going to joke that maybe they'll forget the plane this time, but if that post is true, it may be no joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

What's the obsession with London Luton airport all the time from Waterford. What about Leeds Bradford or Doncaster airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Not an expert but i dont think an avg age of 18 years is a big deal for an aircraft. I believe aer lingus have a avg age of 12.

The CRJ100 take off distance would rule it out of WAT airport. . unless it is done with restrictions like have 10 less passangers.. im not sure. They may be planning on leasing a plan to run the service.

What's the obsession with London Luton airport all the time from Waterford. What about Leeds Bradford or Doncaster airport.

Linkage I would imagine. London is the main hub/capital in the UK. Luton gives you a direct line into it it. Leeds and Doncaster? I couldn't see the demand from Waterford to be honest. Who would want to go there other than people with extended family members there?

dzilla wrote: »
    Linkage I would imagine. London is the main hub/capital in the UK. Luton gives you a direct line into it it. Leeds and Doncaster? I couldn't see the demand from Waterford to be honest. Who would want to go there other than people with extended family members there?

People doing business in the North of England, perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Another airport in London - yes, definitely. 
    Another city like Manchester, Edinburgh, Liverpool, Birmingham, Leeds - yes
    But Doncaster???????

Deiseen wrote: »
    Doncaster???????

Maybe you don't know, but DSA is right in the middle of Britain, has parking right on site (rather like SNN) and the airport was recently voted the UK's best small airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Honestly lads, you can't get a flight to London, what in the name of holy god makes ye think suddenly Doncaster or even Leeds (failed from ORK!) is sustainable?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,481 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agreed you need a flight to London, but Doncaster is not bad for the whole of the midlands, and in fact travelling to Birmingham from the west meant you had to go the long way round into Birmingham and then back out again. I don't really see the point of having a flight to Leeds as well, but grateful for small mercies at the moment.

Without a train station onsite Doncaster would not be feasible. I know there is a shuttle bus transfer to the train in Luton but Donacaster is like 10miles from a train station last time I was there

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    Agreed you need a flight to London, but Doncaster is not bad for the whole of the midlands, and in fact travelling to Birmingham from the west meant you had to go the long way round into Birmingham and then back out again. I don't really see the point of having a flight to Leeds as well, but grateful for small mercies at the moment.

Birmingham offers another direct line to London aswell as a better variety of onward connectivity

• Registered Users Posts: 28,481 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well, yes, Birmingham is a good center, I am just trying to be optimistic!

looksee wrote: »

Doncaster is fairly poor really, I don't agree. Even Dublin struggles to maintain a connection to Doncaster! You want to target a high density population area for a market as limited as WAT, regional to regional airport generally doesn't happen, with a few exceptions (like Hahn-Kerry), but that requires a strong business case.

I wouldn't 'be grateful for small mercies' at all, because if it's not sustainable it will be cut, and rather quickly too. Another false start would simply remove what ever shreds of credibility the airport hold in the local community, and likely be the nail in the coffin for any potential commercial route ever again.

A route such as Doncaster simply doesn't make sense, even if it went on sale, I'd wager that it would never take off because bookings simply wouldn't come.

Sticking to routes like LON/MAN/BHX and maybe even EDI is the only thing that should be looked at. We've a situation where there's not been a sustainable service in the airport since March 2015.

Without a train station onsite Doncaster would not be feasible. I know there is a shuttle bus transfer to the train in Luton but Donacaster is like 10miles from a train station last time I was there

LTN to Luton interchange, ~ 12 minutes by bus.
    DSA to Doncaster interchange, ~ 22 minutes by bus.

With only 10 minutes difference it's hardly a dealbreaker.

Flying from Waterford to an airport in the middle of Britain is more convenient for most people than flying to an airport in the South East of England. It would also be cheaper.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Doncaster is fairly poor really, I don't agree. Even Dublin struggles to maintain a connection to Doncaster! You want to target a high density population area for a market as limited as WAT, regional to regional airport generally doesn't happen, with a few exceptions (like Hahn-Kerry), but that requires a strong business case.

I wouldn't 'be grateful for small mercies' at all, because if it's not sustainable it will be cut, and rather quickly too. Another false start would simply remove what ever shreds of credibility the airport hold in the local community, and likely be the nail in the coffin for any potential commercial route ever again.

A route such as Doncaster simply doesn't make sense, even if it went on sale, I'd wager that it would never take off because bookings simply wouldn't come.

Sticking to routes like LON/MAN/BHX and maybe even EDI is the only thing that should be looked at. We've a situation where there's not been a sustainable service in the airport since March 2015.

I repeat: Flying from Waterford to an airport in the middle of Britain is more convenient for most people than flying to an airport in the South East of England. It would also be cheaper.

As for your comment about Dublin struggling to maintain a connection to Doncaster, I'm not sure how you work that out. There are currently two airlines flying that very route, Aer Lingus and Flybe.

WAT is a regional airport. So is DSA.

LTN to Luton interchange, ~ 12 minutes by bus.
    DSA to Doncaster interchange, ~ 22 minutes by bus.

With only 10 minutes difference it's hardly a dealbreaker.

Flying from Waterford to an airport in the middle of Britain is more convenient for most people than flying to an airport in the South East of England. It would also be cheaper.

Luton Interchange and Luton Airport Parkway station which services Luton Airport are 2 different places.

I'm sorry, Doncaster is just a bad example of what would be a viable service to the Uk if we had a sustainable operator.

I repeat: Flying from Waterford to an airport in the middle of Britain is more convenient for most people than flying to an airport in the South East of England. It would also be cheaper.

As for your comment about Dublin struggling to maintain a connection to Doncaster, I'm not sure how you work that out. There are currently two airlines flying that very route, Aer Lingus and Flybe.

WAT is a regional airport. So is DSA.

Respectfully, I think you're frighteningly wrong here. It would not be useful for most people, as most people in Ireland want to go to South/South East England. That's where most business also is. If your flight lands in somewhere that will take you longer to get to London than it will to to get from Waterford to Cork, then it simply won't be used, as Cork would hence be faster, and cheaper. If anyone's looking for cheap, it simply won't be achieved with a turboprop, so these price sensitive people will still be travelling to other airports.

In regards Dublin, you're also wrong here too. Aer Lingus left Doncaster due to mucky yields, and Flybe picked it up at a much lower frequency, currently 2pw for the Winter. (3pw in Summer)

And, my point was that regional to regional routes don't work in the vast majority of cases.

Luton Interchange and Luton Airport Parkway station which services Luton Airport are 2 different places.

I'm sorry, Doncaster is just a bad example of what would be a viable service to the Uk if we had a sustainable operator.

You don't have to apologise, but I think you're wrong. DSA is a perfect regional airport from flights to and from WAT, for many reasons, as I've stated. You can obsess with LTN all you like, that's your choice.

Respectfully, I think you're frighteningly wrong here. It would not be useful for most people, as most people in Ireland want to go to South/South East England.
    Do you have a source for this claim?

Do you have a source for this claim?

London is the busiest route at every airport in the republic of Ireland. With all 5 airports collectively, it is by far the most popular destination from Ireland. You'd think this would be common knowledge.

Source enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Twenty million invested in the airport over the last ten years.
    Looking at it today it's difficult to see it.

London is the busiest route at every airport in the republic of Ireland. With all 5 airports collectively, it is by far the most popular destination from Ireland. You'd think this would be common knowledge.

Source enough?

No. You said that most people in Ireland want to go to South/South East England. Stating that that region of England has 5 airports doesn't back that up in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I for one had to google to see where Doncaster is.

I know where London is!

No. You said that most people in Ireland want to go to South/South East England. Stating that that region of England has 5 airports doesn't back that up in the slightest.

London has 6 airports, 5 of flight have flights to Ireland.

I assume you're deliberately being evasive here, but I'll give you the liberty of replying. Would you prefer a few facts?

*Every airport in Ireland with flights, has a London airport as it's busiest destination

*From Dublin, more passengers flew to London alone than the entireity of the US and Canada.

*From Shannon, 2.5x the times that flew from Shannon to New York flew to London.

*From Cork, for every passenger that flew to the second most popular destination (Amsterdam), nearly 5 flew to London.

I could give more, but it's really pointless. Someone who doesn't know the slightest bit about travel could tell you what you're denying.

London has 6 airports, 5 of flight have flights to Ireland.

I assume you're deliberately being evasive here, but I'll give you the liberty of replying. Would you prefer a few facts?

*Every airport in Ireland with flights, has a London airport as it's busiest destination

*From Dublin, more passengers flew to London alone than the entireity of the US and Canada.

*From Shannon, 2.5x the times that flew from Shannon to New York flew to London.

*From Cork, for every passenger that flew to the second most popular destination (Amsterdam), nearly 5 flew to London.

I could give more, but it's really pointless. Someone who doesn't know the slightest bit about travel could tell you what you're denying.

So.. not a single source, no?

So.. not a single source, no?

Here you go :

www.cso.ie

Go to airport pairings data and Knock youself out!

Here you go :

www.cso.ie

Go to airport pairings data and Knock youself out!

Oh dear..

Oh dear..

Too much information for your nonsensical argument?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Another 6 month wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Isn't Dublin - London the second busiest international corridor in the world, second only to Hong Kong - Taipei?

Advertisement