Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Hopefully this is real and flights will begin in time for summer. There are certainly issues of public confidence in Air Southeast but seems like its the only show in town for the airport so hopefully gets going soon as time does seem to be running out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭914

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Hardly going to happen after all this time? Hopefully it will as it will be a positive for Waterford.

Any further updates from those here who seem to be in the know?

We seem to have gone from Aer Southeast announcing beginning flights to the news and star reporting further cuts in the airport.

Something is not adding up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

914 wrote: »
    Any further updates from those here who seem to be in the know?

We seem to have gone from Aer Southeast announcing beginning flights to the news and star reporting further cuts in the airport.

Something is not adding up here.

You mean Aer South East's latest announcement?

Deiseen wrote: »

Yep aer southeasts announcement looks all positive but the news and star report seems to contradict it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Yep aer southeasts announcement looks all positive but the news and star report seems to contradict it.

Maybe the Airport are scaling back as much as they can while still operating flights to allow it to get into a decent financial position for a runway extension?

Maybe the Airport are scaling back as much as they can while still operating flights to allow it to get into a decent financial position for a runway extension?

Possibly and here's hoping. Addition of flights would be very welcome as for a runway extension that would be fantatsic to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,440 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Possibly and here's hoping. Addition of flights would be very welcome as for a runway extension that would be fantatsic to see.

i cant see the runway extension happening anytime soon, if ever, but who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Aer Southeast ready to launch Waterford-to-UK flights after delays

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/aer-southeast-ready-to-launch-waterfordtouk-flights-after-delays-36655216.html

Not many details unfortunately

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Article in the Independent about a 2nd airline looking at launching services to Waterford.

Launching competitive services with 19 seater planes is going to be challenging to put it mildly

https://m.independent.ie/business/irish/uk-entrepreneur-eyes-irish-airport-for-startup-airline-36691305.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 southbound

marno21 wrote: »
    Article in the Independent about a 2nd airline looking at launching services to Waterford.

Launching competitive services with 19 seater planes is going to be challenging to put it mildly

Yeah, the last operator's prices were much higher than Flybe (previous operator). The Flybe service was really good value for money and that was reflected in seats being filled on most flights I took.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Wouldn't hold my breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Waterford Airport - what a saga. Have they made a film out of it yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Waiting for Godot Take Off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Very curious about Firnas, I have been following their story for some years and thought they where now a no goer. I know they want to use Bombardier C series originally which would be the same as Flybe. The planes they now potentially will have would be much smaller and id imagine focused primarily on business travel. There could be a market however there, like I personlly am from that side of the county and had to travel to Luton for work recently and WAT would have been a lifesaver. However I don't think a half nervous flyer would not get on a 19 seater.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Airport seems to have no idea about it:

http://www.wlrfm.com/2018/03/13/45732/

Bit of a joke at this stage.

Airport seems to have no idea about it:

http://www.wlrfm.com/2018/03/13/45732/

Bit of a joke at this stage.

To be fair, the airport have no role in the inner operations of an airline (or lack of), the only negotiations they would really have is in regards to possible services, fees, and logistics. Whatever regulatory hoops Aer Southeast have failed to go through are nothing to do with the airport.

However, I would not hold my breath, there's alot left in this year but I would not be surprised to see nothing happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

JCX BXC wrote: »
    To be fair, the airport have no role in the inner operations of an airline (or lack of), the only negotiations they would really have is in regards to possible services, fees, and logistics. Whatever regulatory hoops Aer Southeast have failed to go through are nothing to do with the airport.

However, I would not hold my breath, there's alot left in this year but I would not be surprised to see nothing happen.

I know but you would think that with a big announcement, especially after the previous mishap that they would have consulted with the Airport prior to making the announcement.

I know but you would think that with a big announcement, especially after the previous mishap that they would have consulted with the Airport prior to making the announcement.

It's not a particularly specific announcement, so perhaps but clearly not. I do get the feeling the airport management are at their wits end though.

Perhaps some Saudi investment is needed. But not Saudi pilots, I'd prefer to leave Reginald's tower as it is.

• Advertisement

southbound wrote: »
    Perhaps some Saudi investment is needed. But not Saudi pilots, I'd prefer to leave Reginald's tower as it is.

Perhaps something like Ciudad Real airport would be to your liking?

Great example of blending ancient and ultra modern within a city

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Perhaps something like Ciudad Real airport would be to your liking?
    4-600m of extra tarmac would be a good start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Looks like a drone testing project is going to keep the airport ticking over according to rte

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Is the article in this week's Munster express about North Korea funding the airport to train commercial pilots an April fools? I find it peculiar but I also find it peculiar as it's April 3rd so 2 days late for April fools

dzilla wrote: »
    Is the article in this week's Munster express about North Korea funding the airport to train commercial pilots an April fools? I find it peculiar but I also find it peculiar as it's April 3rd so 2 days late for April fools

Can you link it?

Edit: found it on Twitter, that's clearly an April fool's joke, sure it's a weekly paper!

Can you link it?

Edit: found it on Twitter, that's clearly an April fool's joke, sure it's a weekly paper!

Yea I get that but it just seems a bit silly that the edition is on April 3 not April 1

There was Dassault Falcon visited on March 15 aswell from Paris aswell so ties in with the article.

• Advertisement

Wlr reporting that EY have been appointed to complete an independent report on the airports viability for the future.

Advertisement