Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭tbarry31

JCX BXC wrote: »
    That's a classic alright!

'lets move aircraft from a really profitable route, to a very marginal airport, anf while we're at it, let's make it out second biggest base in ROI!'

Fat chance :)

2/3 might be a bit much I was just throwing out a figure. I really think that if it happens and Ryanair does come in or any other airline for that matter does it with good prices it would fill the aircraft. Plan it properly well in advance advertise the crap out of it and it would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

road_high wrote: »
    Deiseen wrote: »
    There are always means to get money especially if there could be a return from it.

Would they be in some kind of partnership running it? Businesses are already under pressure to pay rates as it is, I doubt many would relish more! Their budgets are under severe prsssure especially with the housing crisis.

Businesses might make actually more money through increased tourism. You think Kilkenny is booming due to tourists but it's getting pennies in comparison to the likes of Galway, Cork, Kerry, Mayo etc. Etc.

I know we will never get near their numbers, but there is a billion euro gap between the tourist market in Kilkenny and Galway. Imagine if KK even got a 10% increase in tourist numbers due to airport. That's a lot more money in the county!

Is your problem with understanding this down to not wanting to see the bigger picture, or because the airport is in Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Businesses might make actually more money through increased tourism. You think Kilkenny is booming due to tourists but it's getting pennies in comparison to the likes of Galway, Cork, Kerry, Mayo etc. Etc.

I know we will never get near their numbers, but there is a billion euro gap between the tourist market in Kilkenny and Galway. Imagine if KK even got a 10% increase in tourist numbers due to airport. That's a lot more money in the county!

Is your problem with understanding this down to not wanting to see the bigger picture, or because the airport is in Waterford?

Not at all- I think you can see from my posts I’m very pro WAT airport but I’m a total realist and merely asking the hard questions about funding it all. I don’t need to be sold on the benefits, they’re obvious to me

Not at all- I think you can see from my posts I’m very pro WAT airport but I’m a total realist and merely asking the hard questions about funding it all. I don’t need to be sold on the benefits, they’re obvious to me

I'd agree with you if there unspecified millions coming from nowhere but it's quiet clear where the money will come from. Where will Wexford and KK CCs get the money from? Well maybe that's a question to ask those councils/post in their forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The airport is in the wrong place (has to be said!) If it were in south Kilkenny it would be much better shape as Waterford TDs would still back it but so would Kilkenny ones and indeed Wexford ones. Being south of the river and the city it's of no interest outside Waterford at a political level.

• Advertisement

I'd agree with you if there unspecified millions coming from nowhere but it's quiet clear where the money will come from. Where will Wexford and KK CCs get the money from? Well maybe that's a question to ask those councils/post in their forums.

The LA's will have to borrow I'd imagine. I'm not that at all clear re the funding- is it firmly committed?
    Just see an update today- https://flyinginireland.com/2018/08/light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel-for-waterford-airport/. 12 million seems small enough money and just 5 from the state so hopefully it can be brought forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

The LA's will have to borrow I'd imagine. I'm not that at all clear re the funding- is it firmly committed?
    Just see an update today- https://flyinginireland.com/2018/08/light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel-for-waterford-airport/. 12 million seems small enough money and just 5 from the state so hopefully it can be brought forward.

It is small money, you think of the 150 or so million they spent for new terminal in cork, it's small change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Max Powers wrote: »
    It is small money, you think of the 150 or so million they spent for new terminal in cork, it's small change.

The DAA (Are Rianta) paid for this not the taxpayer.
    In simple terms the users of Dublin/Cork airport's are paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭tbarry31

when I did work there I believe the plans for the terminal was to be extended down to the fence and reworking of the building that is there now I personally think that would be Ideal it doesn't need to be massive just has to be enough for what is needed. No need for big cafe either just a small one and a few vending machines after departures would be enough I'm sure.

A crazy white elephant in my opinion but Cork must have an airport and terminal bigger than necessary! Purely political

• Advertisement

The DAA (Are Rianta) paid for this not the taxpayer.
    In simple terms the users of Dublin/Cork airport's are paying for it.

So not a cent of taxpayer cash went into new Cork airport terminal? I'm willing to stand corrected of course but find that a tad hard to believe.

The airport is in the wrong place (has to be said!) If it were in south Kilkenny it would be much better shape as Waterford TDs would still back it but so would Kilkenny ones and indeed Wexford ones. Being south of the river and the city it's of no interest outside Waterford at a political level.

It is where it is now and has good and upgraded access routes to it. I don't think this is a big issue- we're only talking 15 or 20 minutes really. Good access is what's important.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

So not a cent of taxpayer cash went into new Cork airport terminal? I'm willing to stand corrected of course but find that a tad hard to believe.

You could argue that all revenue made by the DAA is taxpayers money! But no, not a cent was drawn from the exchequer for the development of the terminal. All DAA money.

You could argue that all revenue made by the DAA is taxpayers money! But no, not a cent was drawn from the exchequer for the development of the terminal. All DAA money.

So Dublin airport paid for it? Ah I see, was thinking it wasn't Cork. How handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Whole thread here.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054887508

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Muttley79

It would cost 40/50 million possibly a lot more to relocate the airport to south Kilkenny,new infrastructure,purchase of land,new terminal with watch tower,new car park and all the other trimmings that go with it,the airport in Waterford is already there,roads to it are good,easy access over new bridge,car park,rescue helicopter industrial estate is all in place,just looking for money to extend and widen the runway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It's operated by DAA. So paid for by its operators.

Muttley79 wrote: »
    It would cost 40/50 million possibly a lot more to relocate the airport to south Kilkenny,new infrastructure,purchase of land,new terminal with watch tower,new car park and all the other trimmings that go with it,the airport in Waterford is already there,roads to it are good,easy access over new bridge,car park,rescue helicopter industrial estate is all in place,just looking for money to extend and widen the runway

Clearly there is no chance of it being relocated now but had it been built across the river in the 80s it would have had a much happier history with much stronger political backing simply because of a stronger cabinet presence over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭914

Clearly there is no chance of it being relocated now but had it been built across the river in the 80s it would have had a much happier history with much stronger political backing simply because of a stronger cabinet presence over the years.

If it had of been built in South Kilkenny it would suffer worse with fog than WAT currently does due to it being even higher above sea level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

If I had the Lotto numbers of last week Euromilions... I wouldn't be reading this thread!! Cos they say the internet on Nectar Island is brutal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Sure. Take that line! It'll turn out great!

Otherwise you can logically address facts, and many of you and others can not take a tabloid fix on any remote criticism of the 'magic market' in market! Perhaps it's riddled with facts and relevant information, sure that's no longer important!

Sure. Take that line! It'll turn out great!

Otherwise you can logically address facts, and many of you and others can not take a tabloid fix on any remote criticism of the 'magic market' in market! Perhaps it's riddled with facts and relevant information, sure that's no longer important!

You've not once addressed the fact that the South East needs serious investment.

We need a Uni but UCC, UCD, UK, NUIG, NUIM, DCU all say "no way, you can't have one as it will weaken Irelands university sector(or reduce student numbers that we receive from the SE)"

We need adequate healthcare for the people of the south east but all the Dublin hospitals, Cork hospitals, Limerick and Galway say "No way, your people will have to suffer because we can't lose ANY funding for our people who are clearly more important"

We need more IDA visits but we are told that Galway, Cork, Dublin and Limerick need the jobs more than we do.

We need investment from the government but we are told there's not enough money or the "population" isn't there (for a region of 500,000).

We need an airport and we have every single one of you telling us we can't have one, its destined to fail and that it's lunacy that should never be even considered.

Will we just give up completely and die, early deaths from a heart attack on the weekend, broke and uneducated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

No take-off at all for Aer Southeast:

The company behind Waterford's long-awaited UK flights has shut [fora.ie]

Key points:
    • parent company dissolved
    • no response from the founder, Einar Adalsteinsson (as at 1st Oct)
    • they report that the runway extension planning application is still not available for public viewing
    Aside from this, what's the Minister up to, having commissioned and received the report a good while ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    No take-off at all for Aer Southeast:

The company behind Waterford's long-awaited UK flights has shut [fora.ie]

Key points:
    • parent company dissolved
    • no response from the founder, Einar Adalsteinsson (as at 1st Oct)
    • they report that the runway extension planning application is still not available for public viewing
    Aside from this, what's the Minister up to, having commissioned and received the report a good while ago?

Yawn

Not a surprise, in fact anything other would have been the shock. Far too many poorly resourced fly by night operators out there.

Just aswell they folded. Like who the fuq would get on a plane run by them after their display last year. Fly by nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭curmudgeonly

Meanwhile Lord Ross sits on the business plan and EY report and everyone is afraid to Lobby him lest he spike it as is his history.

Story on WLR news just now, suggests the gubberment are disposed to funding the extension.

Story on WLR news just now, suggests the gubberment are disposed to funding the extension.

Anymore info other than that, they don't update the website too regularly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭curmudgeonly

Advertisement