Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭914

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Did they commit to anything or is was it just Mary Butler asking questions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭curmudgeonly

No it's over to the airport to give them the answers they need to say yes is my call on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Is it April Fools Day already??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Only in Ireland :mad:

it’s going to be years before construction of this commenced if it ever happens at all. The Headlines and people’s perception is that this project commencement is imminent with runway and terminal in place next year and services to uk and mainland Europe following year reality is totally different. Note that article says that Offaly co co are merely applying for €2.5m for feasibility study

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Offaly co co are merely applying for €2.5m for feasibility study

I know construction will never happen.
    it's the fact that they want to waste €2.5m on a "feasibility study" that I have the problem with.

Why are ye so bothered?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

dzilla wrote: »
    Why are ye so bothered?

I suppose the reason it was posted here is that they're seeking 2.5mil for such a downright retarded project, while not devoting money to WAT.

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I suppose the reason it was posted here is that they're seeking 2.5mil for such a downright retarded project, while not devoting money to WAT.

Fair enough but if its eventually a long term vision to ease Dublin's future capacity issues we should be thankful it is not being earmarked South of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Fair enough but if its eventually a long term vision to ease Dublin's future capacity issues we should be thankful it is not being earmarked South of Dublin.

Dublin Airport's capacity will be expanded via another runway and a third terminal.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Dublin Airport's capacity will be expanded via another runway

Fixed that for you.

Fixed that for you.

Second runway first, then they'll grow passenger numbers to a point where they'll need a third terminal. Probably in the next 20 years.

Planning for the second runway was granted in 2007, and last year that was extended until 2022, so you can see how long term the planning is for these projects.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Second runway first, then they'll grow passenger numbers to a point where they'll need a third terminal. Probably in the next 20 years.

Planning for the second runway was granted in 2007, and last year that was extended until 2022, so you can see how long term the planning is for these projects.

Which is why they are doing a feasibility study for an airport in the midlands. May not happen for 20 years but doesn't mean its a goer or not.

More luck to them either way and whoever is orgainising it, our crowd down here don't have hands to wipe their backsides.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Which is why they are doing a feasibility study for an airport in the midlands. May not happen for 20 years but doesn't mean its a goer or not.

More luck to them either way and whoever is orgainising it, our crowd down here don't have hands to wipe their backsides.

There is no sensible reason for an airport in the Midlands. Dublin Airport is not too far from Tubber and offers infinitely more destinations, frequency, fares etc

This is another one of these big shiny projects that will "create employment" or "bring tourism". Some people behind it will want an airport because Dublin has one and that's not far.

It's a ridiculous idea that should be immediately quashed. Michael O'Leary has come out against it in the past. The money could be put to far better uses

marno21 wrote: »
    There is no sensible reason for an airport in the Midlands. Dublin Airport is not too far from Tubber and offers infinitely more destinations, frequency, fares etc

This is another one of these big shiny projects that will "create employment" or "bring tourism". Some people behind it will want an airport because Dublin has one and that's not far.

It's a ridiculous idea that should be immediately quashed. Michael O'Leary has come out against it in the past. The money could be put to far better uses

I'm sure the feasibility study will show all that if thats the case :D

There is absolutely no way that Dublin Airport will be missing out on either a runway or a terminal due to capacity being leaked to an airstrip in Offaly.

Long haul services to the likes of Asia require a runway longer than what they currently have, so basically Dublin Airport will be getting it. As they get the passenger numbers up, the extra terminal will follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

https://www.centerparcs.ie/

But isn't this going in and creating over 2,000 jobs!
    A university next for the Midlands and Athlone to be defined as a city.

This is not meant in a begrudging sense either, good luck to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

https://www.centerparcs.ie/

But isn't this going in and creating over 2,000 jobs!
    A university next for the Midlands and Athlone to be defined as a city.

This is not meant in a begrudging sense either, good luck to them!
    Poor attempt.

• Advertisement

It has no bearing on Waterford I don't understand why ye are all getting ye're Knickers in a twist.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

Someone living close to the airport told me recently that the money from the Arab consortium in North Quays/City Centre is being earmarked for runway extension, if they get Gov funds to match

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Fox Uniform

Someone living close to the airport told me recently that the money from the Arab consortium in North Quays/City Centre is being earmarked for runway extension, if they get Gov funds to match

Sorry but no truth in this, investor(s) are closer to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭blackwhite

What on earth makes you think the Offaly County Council would consider devoting money, or applying to central Govt to allocate money, to WAT?

blackwhite wrote: »
    What on earth makes you think the Offaly County Council would consider devoting money, or applying to central Govt to allocate money, to WAT?

Thats not what they referred to please stop sensationalizing.

Thats not what they referred to please stop sensationalizing.

Who's sensationalising anthing?

The quote I responded to is below again.

"they're seeking 2.5mil for such a downright retarded project, while not devoting money to WAT"

The "they" that is seeking €2.5m is Offaly County Council - nobody else. And no central Govt body has given them any funding, or even approval for any funding.

If a poster wants to criticise Govt for not devoting money to WAT then go ahead.
    Similarly trying to criticise Offaly CC for wasting time with stupid funding requests.

However, the claim I responded to is implying that the party responsible for the funding application is also responsible for WAT not getting any funding - which is utter nonsense.

Maybe try reading the posts before accusing people of "sensationilising" :rolleyes:

Who's sensationalising anthing?

The quote I responded to is below again.

"they're seeking 2.5mil for such a downright retarded project, while not devoting money to WAT"

The "they" that is seeking €2.5m is Offaly County Council - nobody else. And no central Govt body has given them any funding, or even approval for any funding.

If a poster wants to criticise Govt for not devoting money to WAT then go ahead.
    Similarly trying to criticise Offaly CC for wasting time with stupid funding requests.

However, the claim I responded to is implying that the party responsible for the funding application is also responsible for WAT not getting any funding - which is utter nonsense.

Maybe try reading the posts before accusing people of "sensationilising" :rolleyes:

Referring to govt devoting money to Waterford. Only the most anal would pick it up as OCC commiting money to WAT

Referring to govt devoting money to Waterford. Only the most anal would pick it up as OCC commiting money to WAT

Have we really realched a level of hysteria where any other part of the country advocating for themselves is trying to be spun as the Govt targeting Waterford?
    Because that’s what you’re claiming was being done here. Because that would actually be sensationalising things.

I read it as someone having read a headline and assume the DOT was putting money into a feasibility study - and pointed out the people calling for funding was Offaly CC - not the Govt.

Trying to link one country council calling for a feasibility study to the Govts lack of investment in another area is strawmanning at best.

Why are ye so bothered?

Have we really realched a level of hysteria where any other part of the country advocating for themselves is trying to be spun as the Govt targeting Waterford?
    Because that’s what you’re claiming was being done here. Because that would actually be sensationalising things.

I read it as someone having read a headline and assume the DOT was putting money into a feasibility study - and pointed out the people calling for funding was Offaly CC - not the Govt.

Trying to link one country council calling for a feasibility study to the Govts lack of investment in another area is strawmanning at best.

I didnt once do that as you will see the above. In my eyes, more luck to Offaly CC if they could pull this off in years to come would be an aboslute huge stimulus to the economy there. It has nothing to do with Waterfords Runway extension or lack of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭invara

There were bits in the Munster Express about the airport... it is not looking hopeful.

Advertisement