Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭914

invara wrote: »
    There were bits in the Munster Express about the airport... it is not looking hopeful.

Any link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

No it's over to the airport to give them the answers they need to say yes is my call on it.

2 months have elapsed since this. What are we waiting for now?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    2 months have elapsed since this. What are we waiting for now?

A miracle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭914

From wlr fm

"Waterford Minister of State John Halligan says the emergency funding received by Waterford Airport will allow it to keep vital services in the region.

It’s been confirmed that the Airport is to receive govt funding of €375,000 euro to assist with the day-to-day running costs.

Waterford Airport is not eligible for its operational funding for 2018 from the Department of Transport as it hasn’t had commercial flights since the middle of 2016.

Minister Halligan said that work is ongoing make the airport commercially viable.

“A development plan which includes a runway extension has been submitted to the Department by Waterford Airport,” he said, “and the board of management has secured private investment of €5 million for the proposal, with matched funding sought from Government.”

Further information has been requested by the Department of Transport on a number of aspects of the proposal and Waterford Airport is currently in the process of compiling this.

In the interim, Minister Halligan said the emergency funding will ensure Waterford Airport can continue to facilitate the Irish Coast Guard Station (Rescue 117) and other private business, as well as the recently announced Atlantic Flight Training Academy (AFTA) Irish Pilot Training and Recruitment base, which will train up to 450 cadets at Waterford Airport over the next five years"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Muttley79

And still Shane Ross sits on a report from Ernst young nearly five months ago to see is the airport viable or not,what a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Muttley79 wrote: »
    And still Shane Ross sits on a report from Ernst young nearly five months ago to see is the airport viable or not,what a joke

Waiting for election time to roll around. Someone else gets to say No instead. What's not said is often more important than what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭ExoPolitic

Masala wrote: »
    Don’t see much FDI setting up in Kerry or Mayo in last 10 years as a result of London services. In fact Kerry Group shifted their operations to Naas to be near Dublin and it’s international connections A case of “build it and they will come” is only in Kevin Costners dreams.

Finding one exception to a general statement made is not proof of my statement being incorrect.

If that was a valid way to disprove things, then everybody who had an objection to progress would succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭ExoPolitic

tbarry31 wrote: »
    2/3 might be a bit much I was just throwing out a figure. I really think that if it happens and Ryanair does come in or any other airline for that matter does it with good prices it would fill the aircraft. Plan it properly well in advance advertise the crap out of it and it would work.

You might find they relocate aircraft to Waterford in the off season when aircraft are going spare. Not that I know anything about their business plan, but it could happen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

There is no way that airport will ever be viable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Would a new airport somewhere more centrally located for the whole South East not be a better idea and easier to gather political support for. Wouldnt even be particularly far away from us, 10 or so km north of Waterford rather than nestled away to the south of the city makes it so much more accessible for the rest of the region and we lose nothing in terms of accessibility. Except maybe (lame) bragging/naming rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

engiweirdo wrote: »
    Would a new airport somewhere more centrally located for the whole South East not be a better idea and easier to gather political support for. Wouldnt even be particularly far away from us, 10 or so km north of Waterford rather than nestled away to the south of the city makes it so much more accessible for the rest of the region and we lose nothing in terms of accessibility. Except maybe (lame) bragging/naming rights.

There was a meeting between counties south east and someone from Wexford suggested this but it was shot down.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭invara

engiweirdo wrote: »

I think that ship has sailed... the existing airport represents around €20 capital investment (at the time of building back in the 1980s-90s) plus land costs. To bring it up to 737/A320 length is an additional cost of ~€12m. The existing airport is at the base of the M9/N25, and with plans for M11, a road structure built to serve the SE at a cost of €1.9bn+. When the New Ross bypass is done next March(or so) it will be within a practical travel-time isochrone that captures 600k+ people within an hours drive.

A greenfield airport would need a large site near this motorway network and would certainly cost a good deal more than €32m in construction costs.

The choice is to expand the existing investment by a modest sum (baring in mind Cork airport new terminal cost €160m in 2006; and Dublin airport is considering a €320m investment in a new runway); or to have no aiport in the SE.

In the programme for Government the SE airport was to recieve matching funding for a runway extension. I gather that last April the councils in the SE submitted a business case with matching funding of €6-7m and are looking for €5m from our Government. How long is a private investor and the people of the SE supposted to wait before we can say the Government has renaged on its commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Deiseen wrote: »
    There was a meeting between counties south east and someone from Wexford suggested this but it was shot down.

Not that I am suggesting this comment came from where David Drumm used to get his capital requirements figures but the CEO of Wexford County Council, Tom Enright, is a director on the board of Waterford Airport which hardly suggests a lack of commitment on their part.

The Airport was initially set up with subscriptions from Waterford Businesses. The current site was the only one affordable. It has now been developed over a period of nearly 40 years and as Invara has posted above, there is no possibility, or need, with the new road infrastructure to consider alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The airport is where is it for reasons of all weather access I think, the land in south Kilkenny is slightly elevated and so more prone to low cloud in winter as compared to the current location (with Tory Hill also a bit of a spoiler for safe navigation in bad weather). Someone else might know better. In any event it's certainly not moving now.

Kerry airport is built on bog land between Killarney and tralee.i have flown out of there twice.the Ryanair plane is longer than the building itself.they fly to Alicante,Berlin,faro,Frankfurt,London Luton and London Stansted year round.kerry airport is surrounded by both Shannon and cork airports yet they seem to keep it's doors open.ok they have Killarney where it's a town with more hotels in it than anything.it has the picturesque gap of dunloe and ring of kerry which is their main selling point as a tourist spot.they have Ireland tourism on their side and also the Healy Rae's,who let's face it are laughable at but everyday they drive to dail eirenn they fight tooth and nail for their beloved Kerry
    Waterford the birth of Ryanair where if we had played our cards right could have been a major hub economically and tourist side of things in Ireland,we have the picturesque villages and towns in the south east,we have Kilkenny in what many ways is like Killarney,we have great coastal drives around Waterford and wexford.everyone knows what Waterford has to offer and the potential it has as both industrial and tourism side of things.ireland tourism won't invest much here,IDA won't invest much here,there is obviously a series problem within Waterford in the wrong people running things,we have politicians that are laughed out the corriders of dail eireann or just not listened to.we have been neglected in Waterford and the south east to long now.fingers crossed this development in the north quays unlocks Waterford potential and the south east in general and this leads to a knock on with our airport,wit,Irish tourism,IDA amongst other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Kerry airport is built on bog land between Killarney and tralee.i have flown out of there twice.the Ryanair plane is longer than the building itself.they fly to Alicante,Berlin,faro,Frankfurt,London Luton and London Stansted year round.

Not built on bog land, only Hahn, Luton and Stansted are year round, the others are seasonal, and a 737-800 is not 'longer' than the terminal.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Not built on bog land, only Hahn, Luton and Stansted are year round, the others are seasonal, and a 737-800 is not 'longer' than the terminal.

Ok who's pissed on your cornflakes this morning,tell me?
    It's built on Marsh type land beside the flesk river.the plane size is every bit as big as the whole building.are you one of these dopes that are just going to argue about anything on here????

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Kerry to Berlin is also year round. Not sure why it's seasonal on Wikipedia.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Kerry Aorport also has Kerry Group HQ’d in Tralee.

They pretty much guarantee a certain number of passengers each month - in particular for linking to the transatlantic routes in Dublin. Makes it much easier to put forward a continuing business case for the airport when they have that sort of almost guaranteed business.

WAT suffers in comparison because it’s a bit too welll connected to Dublin by other means of transport, so the time saving by flying isn’t nearly as beneficial as it is from KIR.

A route to Gatwick is probably the best bet for WAT for long term sustainability (I can’t see it generating high enough fares to pay for a Heathrow slot).

Sell it as a way of connecting into Gatwick’s long-haul routes, and it really needs strong support from businesses in the South East.

Then it would have a fighting chance

• Advertisement

blackwhite wrote: »
    Kerry Aorport also has Kerry Group HQ’d in Tralee.

They pretty much guarantee a certain number of passengers each month - in particular for linking to the transatlantic routes in Dublin. Makes it much easier to put forward a continuing business case for the airport when they have that sort of almost guaranteed business.

WAT suffers in comparison because it’s a bit too welll connected to Dublin by other means of transport, so the time saving by flying isn’t nearly as beneficial as it is from KIR.

A route to Gatwick is probably the best bet for WAT for long term sustainability (I can’t see it generating high enough fares to pay for a Heathrow slot).

Sell it as a way of connecting into Gatwick’s long-haul routes, and it really needs strong support from businesses in the South East.

Then it would have a fighting chance

I agree Kerry group has probably a big benefit there to Kerry,we also have glanbia,industrial estate of pharmacuticles and Dawn group on our doorstep to name a few.yeah a route to London is a good starter but with this whole brexit chaos going on I think we need to start looking into maybe berlin Paris Madrid ourselves,but hey we need to get a runway extension first and a carrier like Ryanair to fly from there first of all.god only knows what the future will bring to unlocking Waterford potential

blackwhite wrote: »
    ...WAT suffers in comparison because it’s a bit too welll connected to Dublin by other means of transport, so the time saving by flying isn’t nearly as beneficial as it is from KIR...

No so much any more. Increasing congestion on the M7/N7 and M50, or the possibility of it, means the time allocated for an outbound journey should be at least 50% longer than the actual ideal conditions journey time (2hrs 20mins).

For a typical departure you should add check in time (90min) + journey time (140 min) + congestion penalty (70min) = 5hrs. You should leave at 8am for a 1pm departure. That's half a day just to get to the Airport. Of course return journeys are not subject to strict arrival times.

What about public transport? All coaches from Waterford to Dublin Airport run via Dublin City Centre, exasperating the problem as they are subject to congestion on the North Quays in Dublin as well as the M50, M7/N7.

My point is - access to Dublin Airport is becoming increasingly unreliable due to delays brought on by worsening traffic volumes in the Dublin region.

Nobody minds this occasional carry-on for the odd long-haul flight, but for short trips to Britain and near-Europe it is completely unacceptable. For this, all other regions can avail of their local airport for business commuting flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

What about public transport? All coaches from Waterford to Dublin Airport run via Dublin City Centre, s.
    Nope, green bus changes at red cow.

Nope, green bus changes at red cow.

Indirect service = even worse. Anyway, the Red Cow isn't a proper bus station - where's the roof?

Indirect service = even worse. Anyway, the Red Cow isn't a proper bus station - where's the roof?

Spoken like someone who has never used the service.
    The connection is to the Dundrum Dublin Airport route.
    Anyone who has to use public transport would be aware to avoid connection there between 5 and 7 especially on. Friday.
    Personally would use kavanaghs where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Ok who's pissed on your cornflakes this morning,tell me?
    It's built on Marsh type land beside the flesk river.the plane size is every bit as big as the whole building.are you one of these dopes that are just going to argue about anything on here????

they are not wrong to be fair, you sensational BS is just incorrect.

Spoken like someone who has never used the service.
    The connection is to the Dundrum Dublin Airport route.
    Anyone who has to use public transport would be aware to avoid connection there between 5 and 7 especially on. Friday.
    Personally would use kavanaghs where possible.

I have used the service and it's poor. You make it sound trivial. A trip from Waterford to Dublin Airport is not trivial - by any mode.

I have used the service and it's poor. You make it sound trivial. A trip from Waterford to Dublin Airport is not trivial - by any mode.
    The reality is that connectivity to anywhere for most of us involves travel to a more central location.

Unless you're a government minister with a car and driver courtesy of the taxpayer your choice is always drive yourself, get a lift or get public transport.

It is not "trivial" but simply a reality that we must accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Kerry airport is built on bog land between Killarney and tralee.i have flown out of there twice.the Ryanair plane is longer than the building itself.they fly to Alicante,Berlin,faro,Frankfurt,London Luton and London Stansted year round.kerry airport is surrounded by both Shannon and cork airports yet they seem to keep it's doors open.ok they have Killarney where it's a town with more hotels in it than anything.it has the picturesque gap of dunloe and ring of kerry which is their main selling point as a tourist spot.they have Ireland tourism on their side and also the Healy Rae's,who let's face it are laughable at but everyday they drive to dail eirenn they fight tooth and nail for their beloved Kerry
    Waterford the birth of Ryanair where if we had played our cards right could have been a major hub economically and tourist side of things in Ireland,we have the picturesque villages and towns in the south east,we have Kilkenny in what many ways is like Killarney,we have great coastal drives around Waterford and wexford.everyone knows what Waterford has to offer and the potential it has as both industrial and tourism side of things.ireland tourism won't invest much here,IDA won't invest much here,there is obviously a series problem within Waterford in the wrong people running things,we have politicians that are laughed out the corriders of dail eireann or just not listened to.we have been neglected in Waterford and the south east to long now.fingers crossed this development in the north quays unlocks Waterford potential and the south east in general and this leads to a knock on with our airport,wit,Irish tourism,IDA amongst other things.

I was up in the Connemara National Park recently and I was expecting to be blown away but it’s nothing you wouldn’t see up in the Comeraghs. In fact I’d say the Comeraghs has potential to be an even better attraction. We just don’t know how to market ourselves and we don’t have enough people fighting our corner to improve it.

• Advertisement

The reality is that connectivity to anywhere for most of us involves travel to a more central location..

The reality is, for trips to Britain and near-Europe, passengers in every other region of the country do not need to reserve half a day just to get to the airport.

I wonder if the Ernst and Young report will suggest Waterford Airport doesn't need a runway extension because we can all get the big green bus and change at the Red Cow.

Advertisement