Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

dzilla wrote: »
    Strange one the Rosslare news. I would have thought with the M11 so close to completion Rosslare would become more attractive.

The new road wont be a direct link to Rosslare so it would not benefit Rosslare at this point in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

alta stare wrote: »
    The new road wont be a direct link to Rosslare so it would not benefit Rosslare at this point in time.

What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭curmudgeonly

What do you mean?

It's stopping at Oylegate north of Wexford town

It's stopping at Oylegate north of Wexford town

ah right, well they knew what I meant, I won't get into hairsplitting with them.

ah right, well they knew what I meant, I won't get into hairsplitting with them.

As said above. To be fair i was only pointing out the road wont be going to Rosslare. It has been planned to do such a thing but for the foreseeable future it wont go further than it is.

• Advertisement

alta stare wrote: »
    As said above. To be fair i was only pointing out the road wont be going to Rosslare. It has been planned to do such a thing but for the foreseeable future it wont go further than it is.

To be fair I never said it would go direct to Rosslare, but whats Oylgate 25km?. Just said it would be a boost for the area the same way the M9 don't go direct to Tramore / Dunmore / Dungarvan but the greater region still sees the benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

We've gone from airports to ferries...now we're on roads...what's up next?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Teebor15 wrote: »

Well, now you mention it, the broadband around here is a disgrace....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭curmudgeonly

Prediction for 2019. by February Lord Ross will announce support for runway extension @ WAT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Prediction for 2019. by February Lord Ross will announce support for runway extension @ WAT

Any reason for this prediction or just a guess?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Announce support, with funds to allocated in approximately 2028....

The Chicken Fillet rolls are gone an awful price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Deiseen wrote: »
    Any reason for this prediction or just a guess?

Announcing support means SFA - which means it's a easy "win" for Ross to make everyone think he's in favour of it, but actually do SFA and then wait (forever) for funding

blackwhite wrote: »
    Announcing support means SFA - which means it's a easy "win" for Ross to make everyone think he's in favour of it, but actually do SFA and then wait (forever) for funding

Yes I believe the funding will be announced in Feb...im also hearing the closure of Cork and Shannon and withdrawal of state support for Kerry with a new airport to be built in Mallow near the new Cork - Limerick motorway to replace all 3.

It makes perfect sense when you think about. Cork can't pay its debts, Shannon is not viable in its current state and Kerry is a burden on the tax payer.

We keep hearing there are too many airports in the country so Knock to serve the North West, Mallow to serve the South West and Waterford to serve the South East.

This is just what I heard not sure how true this is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

*suppresses giggle*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Yes I believe the funding will be announced in Feb...im also hearing the closure of Cork and Shannon and withdrawal of state support for Kerry with a new airport to be built in Mallow near the new Cork - Limerick motorway to replace all 3.

It makes perfect sense when you think about. Cork can't pay its debts, Shannon is not viable in its current state and Kerry is a burden on the tax payer.

We keep hearing there are too many airports in the country so Knock to serve the North West, Mallow to serve the South West and Waterford to serve the South East.

This is just what I heard not sure how true this is.

You forgot ...MOL to move his Irish operations to Waterford Airport to be re branded as Dublin-South.

Masala wrote: »
    You forgot ...MOL to move his Irish operations to Waterford Airport to be re branded as Dublin-South.

Didn't hear that myself and honestly would find it hard to believe. Waterford would be too far away from Dublin to be called Dublin South. Also there would never be the space for all thoese aircraft.

I could be wrong but id say someone is having you on..then again stranger things have happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Didn't hear that myself and honestly would find it hard to believe. Waterford would be too far away from Dublin to be called Dublin South. Also there would never be the space for all thoese aircraft.

I could be wrong but id say someone is having you on..then again stranger things have happened.

Apologies to yourself, no harm intended to you, but this is my absolute favourite thing to see happening the internet.

#CantSeeYouWinking

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

There is so much wrong and impractical in political, logistic and so many other ways, with that suggestion. Any rational thinker with even an inkling of knowledge into Irish aviation would dismiss that as quick as they'd dismiss someone saying that white is the same colour as black.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    There is so much wrong and impractical in political, logistic and so many other ways, with that suggestion. Any rational thinker with even an inkling of knowledge into Irish aviation would dismiss that as quick as they'd dismiss someone saying that white is the same colour as black.

I know..that's what I'm saying...when the runway and apron are done next year there will be parking for 3 maybe 4 B738's, not the 20+ that Ryanair have based in Dublin.

We'll see Ryanair flying from Waterford in the near future but I can't see them moving their entire Dublin operation to Waterford...well not initially anyway.

• Advertisement

I know..that's what I'm saying...when the runway and apron are done next year there will be parking for 3 maybe 4 B738's, not the 20+ that Ryanair have based in Dublin.

We'll see Ryanair flying from Waterford in the near future but I can't see them moving their entire Dublin operation to Waterford...well not initially anyway.

All of what you said was bizzare, the comment about Dublin south was entirely tounge in cheek.

I am of the belief that we'll never see ryanair flying from Waterford.

All of what you said was bizzare, the comment about Dublin south was entirely tounge in cheek.

You can never say never!!!!! Money talks... FR might be interested if the 'incentive' scheme is right!!!! But that's a slippy slope and very short term.

You can never say never!!!!! Money talks... FR might be interested if the 'incentive' scheme is right!!!! But that's a slippy slope and very short term.

Maybe right now, however Ryanair are really moving out of that mode of business. By the time Waterford gets their runway extension (if ever), I doubt ryanair will be interested.

Saying that, a decade or two of business changes and you'd never know. Will never be a big market and won't ever see based aircraft.

I thought the same when I heard it too..I even had to check to see exactly where Mallow was! But you have to admit there is a lot of merit in it. It cuts down the ridiculous notion of having 3 airports in close proximity in one part of the country with none of them serving the public properly.

Cork is on top of a hill with little scope for expansion, is often prone to fog and can't support US flights.

Shannon is a regional airport masquarding as an "International" airport. It can't support flights to European cities and has a very limited US offering.

Between the PSO, OPEX and CAPEX Kerry sucks so much money from the taxpayer its farcical!

Merging the 3 near Mallow makes perfect sense. It will ensure the critical mass is there to offer a far superior range of destinations and frequencies than either Shannon or Cork could ever hope for. Both Limerick and Cork cities are within a 45 Min drive.

Won't be much resistance from Cork as it's still in the County. Limerick would be all for it if it meant a better offering.

Clare might kick up about it but Ennis only plays second fiddle to Limerick and Galway in that neck of the woods anyway so i'd say their moaning will be fruitless.

Galway would have Knock as their airport which appears to be run far better and more economically than Shannon and even provide their own ATC.

Speaking of ATC only one Tower/Approach unit now required also only one fire Servive which could offer Cat 9 all the time rather the CAT 7 shannon now often publish. Savings would be massive.

Can't see construction kicking off until at least the Motorway get started but i'm sure we'll hear plenty more about it next year.

I'll try answer any questions as best I can but I haven't been told a whole lot more and my knowledge of Irish aviation is pretty limited.

So you think the comment of Ryanair moving to Waterford might be just a joke? Pity I got my hopes up there for a second.

I thought the same when I heard it too..I even had to check to see exactly where Mallow was! But you have to admit there is a lot of merit in it. It cuts down the ridiculous notion of having 3 airports in close proximity in one part of the country with none of them serving the public properly.

Cork is on top of a hill with little scope for expansion, is often prone to fog and can't support US flights.

Shannon is a regional airport masquarding as an "International" airport. It can't support flights to European cities and has a very limited US offering.

Between the PSO, OPEX and CAPEX Kerry sucks so much money from the taxpayer its farcical!

Merging the 3 near Mallow makes perfect sense. It will ensure the critical mass is there to offer a far superior range of destinations and frequencies than either Shannon or Cork could ever hope for. Both Limerick and Cork cities are within a 45 Min drive.

Won't be much resistance from Cork as it's still in the County. Limerick would be all for it if it meant a better offering.

Clare might kick up about it but Ennis only plays second fiddle to Limerick and Galway in that neck of the woods anyway so i'd say their moaning will be fruitless.

Galway would have Knock as their airport which appears to be run far better and more economically than Shannon and even provide their own ATC.

Speaking of ATC only one Tower/Approach unit now required also only one fire Servive which could offer Cat 9 all the time rather the CAT 7 shannon now often publish. Savings would be massive.

Can't see construction kicking off until at least the Motorway get started but i'm sure we'll hear plenty more about it next year.

I'll try answer any questions as best I can but I haven't been told a whole lot more and my knowledge of Irish aviation is pretty limited.

So you think the comment of Ryanair moving to Waterford might be just a joke? Pity I got my hopes up there for a second.

.... there will be NO MORE airports build in Ireland!!! You can take that to the Bank!!!

PS... Waterford has done its fair share of sucking the milk and honey of Capex and Opex over the years!!!

To be fair I never said it would go direct to Rosslare, but whats Oylgate 25km?. Just said it would be a boost for the area the same way the M9 don't go direct to Tramore / Dunmore / Dungarvan but the greater region still sees the benefit.

You implied and that was enough for me to correct you. I dont see the big deal here???

They are all relevant to the conversation. Investment, infrastructure, government policies and other things which all link themselves to a successful south east.

I honestly cannot tell if your serious, but I got a good laugh out of this either way.

Just imagine, an airport an hour away from everywhere any major population or tourist center and the notion of shutting down all the other airports within a 2 hour drive. Imagine doing that politically.

Perhaps in a communist state, but in this country you can't have a Christmas song played without mass outrage.

It's all fantasy.

• Advertisement

PS... Waterford has done its fair share of sucking the milk and honey of Capex and Opex over the years!!!

It certainly has..with none of it designated for the elephant in the room..the bloody runway. Its like a fuel tank with a leak..rather than spending the money to fix the leak they keep paying for petrol to be pumped in...I agree with you its madness..I've sent a letter to the Minister for Transport outlining support for the runway..maybe if you could do the same he might see sense!

Advertisement