Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭ExoPolitic

And in this report; https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/fears-raised-that-brexit-could-bring-split-in-irish-time-zone-873158.html it confirms what we already know, Shane Ross is sitting on the report. "Transport Minister Shane Ross brought forward a still unpublished report by Ernst & Young on financial matters at Waterford airport and separate figures from Tourism Ireland showing the country has seen more people travel here for the seventh year running."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    https://waterford-news.ie/2019/04/10/murphy-backs-airport-bid/?fbclid=IwAR2DoobZUZuztSt4m9XdN_0C6qCsPc9y5R6OoNvgEsKngkE2M_Hlti-Ii30#.XK4S3dVzL-k.facebook

Looking in there it seems that the report is of a negative view to extending the runway; "the Ernst & Young economic report, which was undertaken in response to the airport’s funding and is understood to be less than complimentary of Waterford and the wider South East region."

That line stood out to me too and I did wonder about it in the same way. My interpretation would be that they are critical of investment in the SE and not the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭invara

Is Leo going to give us news today...... I heard he might be on WLR and it would be tough to come empty-handed.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

invara wrote: »
    Is Leo going to give us news today...... I heard he might be on WLR and it would be tough to come empty-handed.

Wishful thinking..but it'll be more of the same.."We'd love to invest but...we want a functioning airport but...it would be great for the region but..." To and fro, to and fro...dither, dither, either..."We'll be making a decision in the coming weeks"! Bullsh*t!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

... And then oops we can't make a decision until after the General Election

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭ExoPolitic

invara wrote: »

I heard nothing today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭invara

Yeah... I got that wrong.....
    When Damien Tiernan was signing off on Thursday I thought he suggested that he might be interviewing Leo Varadkar, because he asked people to send in questions. Instead, Leo toured Cork opening and announcing things on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

On the WLR heads it sounded as if we are no closer to knowing the fate of WAT - report due in a couple of months (again)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭curmudgeonly

Lord Ross visited the Airport today with Minister Halligan,both hands as long as the others.

Lord Ross visited the Airport today with Minister Halligan,both hands as long as the others.

But but but..the Easter Bunny...you said.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭curmudgeonly

Teebor15 wrote: »
    But but but..the Easter Bunny...you said.....

Wouldn't say a messenger ever calls to your house twice.

Wouldn't say a messenger ever calls to your house twice.

Not when he's a spoofer anyway...though this was your 3rd visit with "Fake news"!!

I know you mean well...looking forward to your next gaze into the crystal ball!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Teebor15 wrote: »
    Not when he's a spoofer anyway...though this was your 3rd visit with "Fake news"!!

I know you mean well...looking forward to your next gaze into the crystal ball!

In fairness, he did come on here and comment and then a few hours later the Irish examiner ran a piece. So he obviously knows something.

Deiseen wrote: »
    In fairness, he did come on here and comment and then a few hours later the Irish examiner ran a piece. So he obviously knows something.

I know, that's why i said he means well. He has connections in business circles and was passing on what he heard..which is welcome..keeps the thread interesting!

"Spoofer" was meant in a light hearted manner!

Disappointing no news today. It appears that the dept of transport have finally approved it but it needs to go to the cabinet table now for sign off and who knows what way that will go or when even!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

IanVW wrote: »
    Seems to me like very good news. It's hard to see how they can row back from that. Ross has said that there's a compelling case for it. I suspect that there may be an announcement just before the next general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

I'm pig sick of this carry-on; "Election time is coming so let's go down the country to promise the yokels their tuppence ha'penny that we'd spend in a heartbeat on any Dublin based project"
    F*ck off Ross & Halligan you pair of muppets. This should have been done 1-2 years ago without all the begging bowl antics. It's peanuts compared to the money that has been shoveled at Aer Rianta airports and continues to be shoveled at Aer Rianta airports without any PWC, Ernst & Young, Coopers & Lybrand etc etc. reports justifying the outlandish spend (Dublin Airport T2, Cork Airport Terminal 2 HELLO?) :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Right, here's Halligan's statement as reported in the W.N.&S. that he;"expects a memo proposing the approval of the funds to be brought to cabinet shortly"!!!
    Aaaagh this makes my f****ing blood boil!! This "statement" has more escape doors than a 757 MAX and is at least as dodgy.
    Stop with the press releases, stop with the photo ops in the empty airport, stop with the junior ministers writing letters to each other and talking about it in the press.
    JUST FUC*ING GET IT DONE YOU USELESS SHOWER OF C U NEXT TUESDAY'S!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

I wish Shane Ross would Fu3k Off in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hard to argue with any of that! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I'm pig sick of this carry-on; "Election time is coming so let's go down the country to promise the yokels their tuppence ha'penny that we'd spend in a heartbeat on any Dublin based project"
    F*ck off Ross & Halligan you pair of muppets. This should have been done 1-2 years ago without all the begging bowl antics. It's peanuts compared to the money that has been shoveled at Aer Rianta airports and continues to be shoveled at Aer Rianta airports without any PWC, Ernst & Young, Coopers & Lybrand etc etc. reports justifying the outlandish spend (Dublin Airport T2, Cork Airport Terminal 2 HELLO?) :mad:

You should be aware that Dublin Airport Terminal Two received no state funding, nor will their new runway. They fund themselves.

I'm almost certain that Cork didn't either, they had to swallow €113m in debts inclurred by DAA when developing Cork. They've appealed for State funding that the likes of Kerry airports get and been told nothing is available for them.

Shannon and Cork seem to be struggling. The likes of Kerry and Knock get PSO funding, and Cork and Shannon whinge that they don't.

Sligo Airport were whinging recently that Waterford gets much more funding than they do, despite having similar levels of services: https://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/news/fears-expressed-on-rescue-service-37993131.html

So the implication is that none of these airports, except Dublin are able to stand on their own two feet, and are not viable without life support from Government funding.

You'd have to wonder if we'd be better off with a smaller number of airports in easier to access locations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

hardybuck wrote: »

You'd have to wonder if we'd be better off with a smaller number of airports in easier to access locations.

That's a great idea - in the meantime, we'll have our regional airport - just like every other region has.

You should be aware that Dublin Airport Terminal Two received no state funding, nor will their new runway. They fund themselves.

I'm almost certain that Cork didn't either, they had to swallow €113m in debts inclurred by DAA when developing Cork. They've appealed for State funding that the likes of Kerry airports get and been told nothing is available for them.

Shannon and Cork seem to be struggling. The likes of Kerry and Knock get PSO funding, and Cork and Shannon whinge that they don't.

Sligo Airport were whinging recently that Waterford gets much more funding than they do, despite having similar levels of services: https://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/news/fears-expressed-on-rescue-service-37993131.html

So the implication is that none of these airports, except Dublin are able to stand on their own two feet, and are not viable without life support from Government funding.

And tell me this.. How did Dublin Airport get started.. The money fairies?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

[QUOTE=hardybuck;109948441

.[/QUOTE]

How are they struggling???? How much losses are they making????

Masala wrote: »
    How are they struggling???? How much losses are they making????

Shannon was losing about €8m a year up until 7-8 years ago. They were let go independent from DAA, after DAA absorbed €110m of their debts. While they've recently returned to profit they're falling well short of their own targets for growth.

Cork were typically making losses of about €6m a year. They were hoping to break even in 2014 or 2015, but they're part of DAA and they don't make it easy to see how each perform. They may at this stage be making a small profit.

So you've got your second and third airports treading water pretty much, just about becoming viable when the economy is booming, running huge losses when it isn't.

Bards wrote: »

And how did Waterford get started? And how is I still there, continuing to draw down money? Could Coastguard go to Cork?

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    That's a great idea - in the meantime, we'll have our regional airport - just like every other region has.

This is exactly the kind of thinking which holds Ireland back. I want what the other lad has, regardless if the evidence supports it or not.

If our politicans don't manage to bully and strong arm a decision for something then they must be failures.

Dum_Dum wrote: »

This is exactly the kind of thinking which holds Ireland back. I want what the other lad has, regardless if the evidence supports it or not.

If our politicans don't manage to bully and strong arm a decision for something then they must be failures.
    Whats holding Ireland back is the beast that's is Dublin gobbling up all the resources of the Land.. Both money and Human....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Shannon was losing about €8m a year up until 7-8 years ago. They were let go independent from DAA, after DAA absorbed €110m of their debts. While they've recently returned to profit they're falling well short of their own targets for growth.

Cork were typically making losses of about €6m a year. They were hoping to break even in 2014 or 2015, but they're part of DAA and they don't make it easy to see how each perform. They may at this stage be making a small profit.

So you've got your second and third airports treading water pretty much, just about becoming viable when the economy is booming, running huge losses when it isn't.

But sure ... isn't it a great country all the same. Cork gets a cheque from head office at the end of the week to keep the place going. Ryanair now their best bud by sending all the Cork lads to the Sun. And Shannon is debt free and gets propped by the Group rental income. So ... what have they got to whinge about.??

Advertisement