Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Personally I have no interest in duty-free facilities, so that bit makes no difference to me. In fact, it annoys me that in most airports, you are dumped out of security straight into a drink-and-fags supermarket!
    dublin/parking

From reading these items pay for a lot of the airports bills.
    Hence you get a "cheap" ticket to fly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

From reading these items pay for a lot of the airports bills.
    Hence you get a "cheap" ticket to fly.

Does anyone know the situation regarding duty-free facilities at WAT? I don't recall ever seeing these.

I guess they must pay a lot of bills - why else would airports waste valuable real estate on them? In that case, is there some reason why there wouldn't be such a shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

"Duty Free" is only for passengers leaving the EU.
    Everything else is marketed as being cheaper than town.
    Open to correction on the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

You're right of course. I think we were all just using the term in its loosest sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Yes, sorry, I used 'Duty Free' as synonymous with shopping airside.

Definitely cheaper for make up in my experience, there can be huge savings on cosmetics and perfumes. I saved €13 buying foundation last week over high street prices. Alcohol seems to have a smaller savings margin. Don't know for cigarettes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Still no Manchester service. Looks like its gone :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Still no Manchester service. Looks like its gone :(

Flybe summer schedule hasn't been released yet. There is still a possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

One of the reasons I like Waterford airport is because it is 'less frills'. Check-in and the cafe and security and the departure lounge are all within 20 paces of each other. You can be off the plane and in your car in less than 5 minutes. While I appreciate the necessity in bigger airports, I like the absence of 'being processed' and the whole relaxed experience. I have done the Waterford/Birmingham/Leicester trip numerous times and it really is the easiest bit of travelling. (:eek: I remember the days when Kilkenny/Leicester took 24 hours by bus and ferry! :D)

b757 wrote: »
    Flybe summer schedule hasn't been released yet. There is still a possibility.

Yet that possibility has gone very slim. Knock-Manchester isn't bookable next summer so that leaves a hint that they may yet be announced.

Waterford-Birmingham is still 4x weekly next year, but that is quite low. Hopefully Waterford may find a london route some-time soon though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭dzilla

• Advertisement

dzilla wrote: »

Waterford will need a lot more than a flight 4 times a week to become self sufficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Waterford will need a lot more than a flight 4 times a week to become self sufficient.

By the looks of it today they might not even have a flight 4x per week.

Possibility of BHX being dropped by BE.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Plane Fan

Apparently WAT to BHX is being suspended from March 2015

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

It is true

:mad::mad::mad::(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

dzilla wrote: »
    :mad::mad::mad::(

I feel your pain man. Now let's hope there's good reason for FlyBe pulling the plug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

So where can you fly to from Waterford?

man98 wrote: »
    I feel your pain man. Now let's hope there's good reason for FlyBe pulling the plug.

Disgusted I was genuinely expecting good news in recent weeks

Birmungham at the moment

And as of april, it looks like nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 air2000

Although Birmingham was performing well Flybe are focusing on high yeld business routes by increasing their frequency.

This means routes like Waterford and Knock are dropped.

Not great timing with the lead up to Christmas but at least it operates for another few months.

air2000 wrote: »
    Although Birmingham was performing well Flybe are focusing on high yeld business routes by increasing their frequency.

This means routes like Waterford and Knock are dropped.

Not great timing with the lead up to Christmas but at least it operates for another few months.

High yield? 88% Load Factors to Manchester, 92% in Birmingham. I may be reading too far into it, but something's up. Upgrading to an ERJ, then dropping it altogether? I think there's a problems between Waterford Airport and FlyBe, or simply problems have arisen on timetabling. For an airline like FlyBe all profit is money for them, which they've been short of recently.
    In related news does anyone want to help me raise the money for leasing a Cello Aviation RJ85? Guaranteed returns!

man98 wrote: »
    High yield? 88% Load Factors to Manchester, 92% in Birmingham. I may be reading too far into it, but something's up. Upgrading to an ERJ, then dropping it altogether? I think there's a problems between Waterford Airport and FlyBe, or simply problems have arisen on timetabling. For an airline like FlyBe all profit is money for them, which they've been short of recently.

88% and 92% for when? They may have that at a peak season but in april I doubt they achieve that high loads.

(Nice heading by the way)

The average for August. Similar loads throughout the summer. Birmingham performed well throughout the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 air2000

88% and 92% for when? They may have that at a peak season but in april I doubt they achieve that high loads.

(Nice heading by the way)

Load factor and yield are two different things. Load factor is bums on seats - yeild is € per passenger per air mile. Waterford is high load factor low yield. Flybe are looking for routes with high yield.

Waterford was never really upgrade to ERJ. Although the type was in res it was capped to 78 seats. With the limited number of ERJs Waterford was never getting one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Ironic when the runway extension planning was granted and due on the first week of January.

http://lp.waterfordcoco.ie/lp41/default.aspx?mapname=Planning%20Enquiry%20System

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

So Ryanair haters - how's the champagne airport doing in the lemonade town? What about all these boutique routes to St Tropez, London City and the Faberge Egg factory?

15 years of mass aviation passed Waterford by. Now it's too late, the thing has gone down the toilet and the momentum is elsewhere.

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    So Ryanair haters - how's the champagne airport doing in the lemonade town? What about all these boutique routes to St Tropez, London City and the Faberge Egg factory?

15 years of mass aviation passed Waterford by. Now it's too late, the thing has gone down the toilet and the momentum is elsewhere.

Ryanair cannot operate from Waterford. The 737-800 needs more runway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Ryanair cannot operate from Waterford. The 737-800 needs more runway.

Exactly. And the proposed extension still falls short.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

Is nobody about the loss of jobs that will happen if no airline is in there people need to remember staff out there are on short time for 2 years now.

Advertisement