Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Teebor15 wrote: »
    This money IS to bring the airport to a "Ryanair airport". This money is not just for the actual runway it for the ancillary parts as well, like the widening the taxiway, a second car park, etc.. A lot of work has been done over the last number of years around the runway, buying land, grading, fencing, etc.

No airline is going to sign a deal with an airport based on a runway that MIGHT be built. They will say "Come back to us when its done and we'll talk". But I agree with you the gov will not hand over the funding unless there is genuine interest from airline, so there must be someone lined up in principal, my guess would be Ryanair but maybe its someone else.

So.... have they money for
    1. EDS Xrays to EU Standards
    2. Is their Navigation Equipment ready for Scheduled flights
    3. Ground Power Units, Air Starts,
    3. De-Icing Rig for 737
    5. How many Staff have they to handle Checkin, Security, Fire and Ramp during a Ryanair flight??
    6. Have they money to cover Insurance for 737 operations?

There a ball on money needed in reserve to keep the show on the road... whether there is a flight or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Masala wrote: »
    3. De-Icing Rig for 737
    5. How many Staff have they to handle Checkin, Security, Fire and Ramp during a Ryanair flight??

There a ball on money needed in reserve to keep the show on the road... whether there is a flight or not.

Lots of catching-up to do then. So the sooner they get started the better - otherwise that long list of yours will grow longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭azimuth17

3. De-Icing Rig for 737

I recall they flew Bae 164 to holiday destination from Waterford a few years ago with no problem. Also saw two ATR 80 on ground at same time as Bae 164 so they must have some capacity to do things when necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

3. De-Icing Rig for 737

1. Yes
    2. Not sure what you're asking here. Scheduled flights don't need anything extra than any other IFR flight which Waterford is fully capable of handling.
    3. Yes, GPU's in storage. Not sure about Air start unit, I think there is one there.
    4. 737 capable de-icing rig there at the moment.
    5. Not CAPEX
    6. Not CAPEX

Come on..get real...do you really think these things haven't all been planned and accounted for in the submission. Its not like they get the money, build the runway, then turn around and go "Oh now we have no money for anything else..duh!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Come on..get real...do you really think these things haven't all been planned and accounted for in the submission. Its not like they get the money, build the runway, then turn around and go "Oh now we have no money for anything else..duh!!!"

Well if they have... then all good to go. Can't see why they can't get the €5m.

Happy Days all round .... All off to Waterford for cheap flights to the Sun. Now where my sun cream??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Decision due in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭914

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Decision due in July.

They didn't specify a year though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Decision due in July.

So after the elections then...read into that as you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Dáil breaks for summer in May.. Decision has already been decided.. If it was positive it would be released before local elections... Most people are on holidays in July and is the perfect time to release bad news...

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭curmudgeonly

Bards wrote: »
    Dáil breaks for summer in May.. Decision has already been decided.. If it was positive it would be released before local elections... Most people are on holidays in July and is the perfect time to release bad news...

Indeed but a national election is due, so the logic fails there, goddamn politiking with us really pees me off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Bards wrote: »

The Dail typically works up to mid July these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Indeed but a national election is due, so the logic fails there, goddamn politiking with us really pees me off!

Isn't the agreement until next year with ff?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Isn't the agreement until next year with ff?

The next election is required by April 2021 at the latest by law.

The confidence and supply agreement lasts until spring 2020 - which would mean that the Government could prepare another budget to take account of Brexit.

However, Brexit is basically dictating when the next election would be. If Brexit had taken place in March as planned, we would have had an election by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭tbarry31

azimuth17 wrote: »
    I recall they flew Bae 164 to holiday destination from Waterford a few years ago with no problem. Also saw two ATR 80 on ground at same time as Bae 164 so they must have some capacity to do things when necessary.

there was two Bae 146 aircraft and 2 Atr 72 aircraft on the ground at the same time. I'm certain of that because I parked them. It was a squeeze but it worked fine. As 1 of the 146 aircraft was ready for departure another Atr 72 was just after landing so there was 5 aircraft at the airport but only 4 on the ramp at 1 time.

Before I left the airport there was a huge amount of work done on fencing, buying land and preparing for a runway upgrade/extension. I could be wrong but as far back as I can remember the lighting on runway was all replaced and extra wiring added so it wouldn't have to be done when the runway gets extended. In my eyes that's good planning and I'm certain they have other stuff ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Bhoy1967

Good to see Cork Airport being looked after. Surely our €5m is on the way 🙄

Daa plans €40m development spend for Cork Airport over next four years http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/daa-plans-40m-development-spend-for-cork-airport-over-next-four-years-921121.html?utm_source=androidapp&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=sharebutton

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Bhoy1967 wrote: »
    Good to see Cork Airport being looked after. Surely our €5m is on the way ��

Daa plans €40m development spend for Cork Airport over next four years http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/daa-plans-40m-development-spend-for-cork-airport-over-next-four-years-921121.html?utm_source=androidapp&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=sharebutton

Bad news for us I would say.

Bhoy1967 wrote: »
    Good to see Cork Airport being looked after. Surely our €5m is on the way 🙄

Is this another example of Dublin Airport Authority investing in their business via their commercial revenue, and without public funds?

By all accounts the Taoiseach was very positive about the funding for the Airport yesterday evening,"How can the Government go against local investment, all local Authorities and Industries backing the proposed development"
    For what it's worth there you have it, let the naysayers have a go now.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

By all accounts the Taoiseach was very positive about the funding for the Airport yesterday evening,"How can the Government go against local investment, all local Authorities and Industries backing the proposed development"

sadly talk is cheap, especially from this government.

why delay the announcement if they are going to support it?

Where did he say that?

• Advertisement

Deiseen wrote: »
    Where did he say that?
    A meeting with the Chamber of Commerce,

A meeting with the Chamber of Commerce,

I'll believe all these things will happen when I see them but there are some very positive signals coming out

hardybuck wrote: »
    Is this another example of Dublin Airport Authority investing in their business via their commercial revenue, and without public funds?

Yes, fair play to them...and to think they started off with just a whip around from a few locals and a small credit union loan! :rolleyes:

Yes, fair play to them...and to think they started off with just a whip around from a few locals and a small credit union loan! :rolleyes:

How far are you going back now? I see they've just paid the State a dividend of €40m - maybe that'll be up for grabs!

How far are you going back now? I see they've just paid the State a dividend of €40m - maybe that'll be up for grabs!

And again...whoosh...straight over your head! :D

And again...whoosh...straight over your head! :D

No, be fair now.

You've alluded to a time when DAA got state funding. I was just wondering when they last might have got some, and how long they've been funding themselves and paying dividends with what's left over.

No, be fair now.

You've alluded to a time when DAA got state funding. I was just wondering when they last might have got some, and how long they've been funding themselves and paying dividends with what's left over.

I give up. We are just not compatible, we'll have to go our separate ways I'm afraid!

I give up. We are just not compatible, we'll have to go our separate ways I'm afraid!

Agreed.

Well done to DAA though on another successful year.

Maybe some of that dividend will be made available to regional airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

Looks like the runway extension is going ahead:
    https://www.wlrfm.com/2019/05/07/90124/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is this a triumph for John Halligan?! ;)

Advertisement