Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Is this a triumph for John Halligan?! ;)

Would appear so....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

reni10 wrote: »
    Looks like the runway extension is going ahead:
    https://www.wlrfm.com/2019/05/07/90124/

Well it'd have to go to the other Departments for review, who may or may not come back with observations.

Depending on the observations they might take them on board and change the proposal and send it to Cabinet seeking a decision, or they would keep it as is but let the Cabinet see the comments that were made.

For example the Department of Public Expenditure might say they don't think a proposal represents value for money, or that the economic analysis is weak, and Government then would need to make a call on it.

This might be a case of the Independent Alliance v FG though, which could be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

i'd like to thank Jesus, God, Boards.ie, myself, Darren Skelton and John Halligan for getting the funding.......

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭invara

Wow..... they are making heavy weather of this. It not done until it's done; we can see with the mortuary (and lots of other things) how things can be slowed down in an endless process. Unlike other regions, we get to see the each micro-step of progress towards a decision to do something. There was no significant debate and hubbub about Corks €40m airport investment last week, or even much chatter about the €320m into Dublin airport- very much 'just do it' projects.

It shows what Halligan is up against in delivering things for Waterford. I understand that the airport was an FG promise made by Noonan in the programme for Govt negotiations (one of three regional asks from Halligan, along with 24/7 and WIT's right not to participate in a merger with Carlow to become a TU). Halligan, like most of our TDs is putting in a good fight for Waterford, his priorities are good ones (he asked for significant things that would make a difference to the region, not just Waterford)- he is just getting slaughtered by FG.

invara wrote: »
    Wow..... they are making heavy weather of this. It not done until it's done; we can see with the mortuary (and lots of other things) how things can be slowed down in an endless process. Unlike other regions, we get to see the each micro-step of progress towards a decision to do something. There was no significant debate and hubbub about Corks €40m airport investment last week, or even much chatter about the €320m into Dublin airport- very much 'just do it' projects.

It shows what Halligan is up against in delivering things for Waterford. I understand that the airport was an FG promise made by Noonan in the programme for Govt negotiations (one of three regional asks from Halligan, along with 24/7 and WIT's right not to participate in a merger with Carlow to become a TU). Halligan, like most of our TDs is putting in a good fight for Waterford, his priorities are good ones (he asked for significant things that would make a difference to the region, not just Waterford)- he is just getting slaughtered by FG.

No it's just the process which must take place for this type of thing. Government make a decision, rather than just one Minister. So what's happening here is that the Minister that's proposing the decision is showing them the information, advising them of the recommendation they'll be proposing and allowing the other Ministers the opportunity to comment.

It stops one Minister from going rogue on a topic, which could happen otherwise.

To reiterate with Cork and Dublin, the Government isn't being asked to pay anything for those projects - for Waterford they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

reni10 wrote: »
    Looks like the runway extension is going ahead:
    https://www.wlrfm.com/2019/05/07/90124/

It’s amazing how they can appear to approve funding for things just in time for elections. It’s like there is a vote particular to Waterford that the government don’t want to be seen to lose!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

BBM77 wrote: »
    It’s amazing how they can appear to approve funding for things just in time for elections. It’s like there is a vote particular to Waterford that the government don’t want to be seen to lose!

The carrot...er...I mean the memo goes before the Fine Gael led government cabinet just BEFORE the local elections, with the decision to be made just AFTER the election.

See John Cummins is all over it already. "I did this...I did that...I I I I I......"

Its all so obvious to the point off being ridiculous.

I think we have become conditioned to neglect and false promises in the South East that until I see steam rising from freshly laid tarmac then i'll remain sceptical!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭DLS_75

Mortuary story breaks. Fine Gael have a mare.

“Eh, guvnor, we need something to help us on the doors here.”

Sends memo to Shane Ross and suddenly something that wasn’t going to be decided until July will now be decided in two weeks.

Politics is ridiculously transparent at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭DLS_75

Gardner wrote: »
    i'd like to thank Jesus, God, Boards.ie, myself, Darren Skelton and John Halligan for getting the funding.......

Lol

In fairness, this is one that John must have done a good bit on as Ross is a good pal of his. We still must wait for the actual approval tho.

How often is this happening lately? Decision is expected. Funding is expected. North quays is expected to start. We’re all expected to believe this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

head back into the local election thread. there is a few questions in there for you :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

DLS_75 wrote: »
    Mortuary story breaks. Fine Gael have a mare.

“Eh, guvnor, we need something to help us on the doors here.”

Sends memo to Shane Ross and suddenly something that wasn’t going to be decided until July will now be decided in two weeks.

Politics is ridiculously transparent at times.

In giving observations on the memo, Departments would normally be asked to provide their observations within 2 weeks.

The sponsoring Department might then need to further refine their proposals to take account of the observations.

The sponsoring Department would then need to get it on the Cabinet agenda, and as you can imagine there might be a lot of things competing for slots on the agenda - think of all the Brexit stuff recently for example that absorbed a lot of time.

Once it's on the agenda, the material needs to go to all the members on the Friday before a Tuesday or Wednesday meeting.

So this could be May, June or July depending.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Teebor15 wrote: »
    I think we have become conditioned to neglect and false promises in the South East that until I see steam rising from freshly laid tarmac then i'll remain sceptical!

LOL, so true!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Teebor15 wrote: »
    The carrot...er...I mean the memo goes before the Fine Gael led government cabinet just BEFORE the local elections, with the decision to be made just AFTER the election.

See John Cummins is all over it already. "I did this...I did that...I I I I I......"

Its all so obvious to the point off being ridiculous.

+1

I just had a rant on another forum making a similar point.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

http://www.midwestradio.ie/index.php/news/31027-new-study-highlights-importance-of-iwak-in-delivering-visitors-to-the-region

Replace IWAK with Waterford Airport and I can see a similar effect in the south east.

Sign the cheque Shane.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

marno21 wrote: »
    http://www.midwestradio.ie/index.php/news/31027-new-study-highlights-importance-of-iwak-in-delivering-visitors-to-the-region

Replace IWAK with Waterford Airport and I can see a similar effect in the south east.

Sign the cheque Shane.

Wait for our usual tunnel vision patients to come on with..."But it doesn't make a profit" ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

It's two weeks now since the news that a decision would be forthcoming in a fortnight.... I wonder which fortnight the cabinet had in mind.. Waterford is being made to wait yet again and this does not surprise me

Bards wrote: »
    It's two weeks now since the news that a decision would be forthcoming in a fortnight.... I wonder which fortnight the cabinet had in mind.. Waterford is being made to wait yet again and this does not surprise me

Please see my message from May 7th which offered some insight as to the process.

hardybuck wrote: »

Please see my message from May 7th which offered some insight as to the process.
    Yes, but it's only 5 Fing million not 1.5 Billion over budget like the NCC and that was decided with a nod and a wink

Yes, but it's only 5 Fing million not 1.5 Billion over budget like the NCC and that was decided with a nod and a wink

No, it wasn't.

So once again:

- The other Departments get two weeks normally to come back with observations.

- Depending on what those observations are, the proposal might need to be distilled further or it could go through without changes.

- It then needs to get on the Cabinet Agenda. There are bigger projects as you've noted that it has to compete with for space on the agenda.

So this is something which could land on the agenda in June or July before the Dail recess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

No, it wasn't.

So once again:

- The other Departments get two weeks normally to come back with observations.

- Depending on what those observations are, the proposal might need to be distilled further or it could go through without changes.

- It then needs to get on the Cabinet Agenda. There are bigger projects as you've noted that it has to compete with for space on the agenda.

So this is something which could land on the agenda in June or July before the Dail recess.

Yes, we know, everything by the book for this part of the world.

• Advertisement

Dum_Dum wrote: »

Breaking News: People of Waterford want procedures broken to approve spending of public funds!

It seems as people don't know by the comments coming through - they expected a decision in two weeks - this was never happening.

Dum_Dum wrote: »

Breaking News: People of Waterford want procedures broken to approve spending of public funds!

It seems as people don't know by the comments coming through - they expected a decision in two weeks - this was never happening.

. But it's not two weeks
    We are waiting over a year now for a decision that should be made at cabinet without extensive reports considering the platry some of money

. But it's not two weeks
    We are waiting over a year now for a decision that should be made at cabinet without extensive reports considering the platry some of money

You're talking about something else. I'm talking about a memorandum for government.

None of us (I don't think) are experts in this field or have a handle on the bigger picture regarding the sector, so its foolish of us to speculate on the merits of doing extensive reports.

I just get a sense that people are frustrated when something is done properly and want the money to be thrown around without proper procedures being followed. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

. But it's not two weeks

You're talking about something else. I'm talking about a memorandum for government.

None of us (I don't think) are experts in this field or have a handle on the bigger picture regarding the sector, so its foolish of us to speculate on the merits of doing extensive reports.

I just get a sense that people are frustrated when something is done properly and want the money to be thrown around without proper procedures being followed. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.
    Amazing how quick money was found for the mortuary when. The press got involved and local elections are around the corner which proves if the Govt really wanted to fund the airport they would have by now

Amazing how quick money was found for the mortuary when. The press got involved and local elections are around the corner which proves if the Govt really wanted to fund the airport they would have by now

Things like mortuaries are seen as more important, you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭curmudgeonly

You are being disingenuous at best with that comment, the proposal is over 12 months on the Ministers desk,albeit with some clarification sought, I have a text on my phone from a FG politician saying and I paraphrase " this is now a political decision and three Ministers and the Taoiseach have told him (Lord Ross) they will support it" but he continues to procrastinate.

You are being disingenuous at best with that comment, the proposal is over 12 months on the Ministers desk,albeit with some clarification sought, I have a text on my phone from a FG politician saying and I paraphrase " this is now a political decision and three Ministers and the Taoiseach have told him (Lord Ross) they will support it" but he continues to procrastinate.

There have been quite a number of proposals on that particular Ministers desk that haven't gone anywhere for some time I understand. That is something which is in no doubt whatsoever.

I'm only giving you an overview of where the process is now - once he's actually brought a proposal forward. You can lay that at Ross' door rather than the Government's.

This is reflective of what can happen when independent Government Ministers, one of John Halligan's buddies, are in these types of positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭invara

Missing in all this was the massive government PR coup of not funding Waterford airport whilst funding Cork airport to the tune of €40m....
    It was a beautiful stroke, better than anything from yes primeminister and in the thick of it...... better than Charley/Bertie at the peak of their skills........

invara wrote: »
    Missing in all this was the massive government PR coup of not funding Waterford airport whilst funding Cork airport to the tune of €40m....
    It was a beautiful stroke, better than anything from yes primeminister and in the thick of it...... better than Charley/Bertie at the peak of their skills........

This is getting ridiculous. When will it sink in that the Government don't fund Cork airport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭daddy_boy

just feel like stirring the pot - a little bit, from this weeks local paper

"We are privileged to have been allocated funding for not one, but two new roundabouts in New Ross, the Mountelliott roundabout and the Oakland’s roundabout. The combined value of both is approximately €2,500,000 and funding was received from Transport Infrastructure Ireland.’"

yeah two new roundabouts, so so happy.

Makes it so much quicker for me to drive to Dublin airport.

Advertisement