Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭invara

hardybuck wrote: »
    This is getting ridiculous. When will it sink in that the Government don't fund Cork airport?

Ah Hardy..... bless you and your innocence. The DAA funding structure is politics made durable. Cork Airport is and indeed has always been a political project rather than a commercial one. I love the zero fuss stuffing of Cork Airport with money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭azimuth17

invara wrote: »
    Ah Hardy..... bless you and your innocence. The DAA funding structure is politics made durable. Cork Airport is and indeed has always been a political project rather than a commercial one. I love the zero fuss stuffing of Cork Airport with money.

Mr Hardybuck's posts, with their faux concern for national interests and budgetary policy, are in reality opposed to anything that might happen in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Do you understand that the DAA paid a dividend of €40m to the state after they invested in their business?

azimuth17 wrote: »
    Mr Hardybuck's posts, with their faux concern for national interests and budgetary policy, are in reality opposed to anything that might happen in Waterford.

I can understand how some people think there's an agenda. There are a lot of things that aren't right in Waterford and I think the area isn't well represented, but the tinfoil hat stuff here half the time is pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I can understand how some people think there's an agenda. There are a lot of things that aren't right in Waterford and I think the area isn't well represented, but the tinfoil hat stuff here half the time is pathetic.

Utterly.

Hard to read at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Do you understand that the DAA paid a dividend of €40m to the state after they invested in their business?

Has the DAA not had State investment? Has it been private capital all the way through since it's inception as Aer Rianta?

Has the DAA not had State investment? Has it been private capital all the way through since it's inception as Aer Rianta?

Are you asking a question or?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

I wonder how much of that was earned at Cork...*shush you can't say that*...interesting when they publish the DAA finances at the end of the year they don't give a breakdown of each airports figures, might open a can of worms..best lump it all in together and keep it hidden in case people start asking questions.

Non state regional airports have to provide their own Air Traffic Control, Navigation aids and engineering...this is quite a significant cost. The IAA (Irish Aviation Authority) provides all this to the state airports at no cost. Just another cosy little state tie up going back decades..but shush...let's not talk about that either!

Teebor15 wrote: »
    I wonder how much of that was earned at Cork...*shush you can't say that*...interesting when they publish the DAA finances at the end of the year they don't give a breakdown of each airports figures, might open a can of worms..best lump it all in together and keep it hidden in case people start asking questions.

Non state regional airports have to provide their own Air Traffic Control, Navigation aids and engineering...this is quite a significant cost. The IAA (Irish Aviation Authority) provides all this to the state airports at no cost. Just another cosy little state tie up going back decades..but shush...let's not talk about that either!

I thought we were ignoring each other?

I thought we were ignoring each other?

Is that your best response?...no counter argument to my last post?!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭curmudgeonly

The DAA is the most politicised Quango in the universe, unless you are from north County Dublin you do not get on the Board, unless you are from a particular political class, you do not get on the Board,it makes the FAI look look like schoolboys.

The DAA is the most politicised Quango in the universe, unless you are from north County Dublin you do not get on the Board, unless you are from a particular political class, you do not get on the Board,it makes the FAI look look like schoolboys.

The current Chief Executive is from Wicklow, his dad was a chicken farmer. His predecessor was from Navan. The one before that was from Limerick. The one before that again was from Ranelagh I think.

I suppose it would be normal for a lot of their senior management or board to be living in north County Dublin as the airport is located there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

The current Chief Executive is from Wicklow, his dad was a chicken farmer. His predecessor was from Navan. The one before that was from Limerick. The one before that again was from Ranelagh I think.

I suppose it would be normal for a lot of their senior management or board to be living in north County Dublin as the airport is located there.
    Rational, logical answer.
    Stop that immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Trotter wrote: »
    SPQRI wrote: »
    http://www.munster-express.ie/front-page-news/general-stories/airport-broke-even-during-tough-2011/ It cost me €45 to fly to the UK from Dublin with Ryan Air as opposed to €180 from Waterford Airport. I'm all for supporting our own but the difference in prices paid for two nights accomodation!

I worked this out recently too. There was €120 in the difference when I checked.

But..
    €50 for fuel to get to Dublin and back.
    €30 for parking in the airport in Dublin.
    €20 for lunch for us both in the airport or on the way.

and.. I was able to leave my house an hour before the flight from Waterford and still fit in a coffee in the airport. On the way home, I was putting the kettle on half an hour after we landed.
    Do you live in the airport, like Tom Hanks did in that movie?

Are you asking a question or?

Yep.

Any answers?

Yep.

Any answers?

Yes.

I don't recall a time when DAA was in receipt of funding. I can recall them making payments to the state for at least the last 20 years when they've had surpluses.

But this is a thread on Waterford airport, and a private operation rather than a public body.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭invara

Please continue.

Yes.

I don't recall a time when DAA was in receipt of funding. I can recall them making payments to the state for at least the last 20 years when they've had surpluses.

Haha..brilliant..head buried in the sand..though I'm beginning to suspect your trolling!

By the way the DAA paid no dividend from 2009 to 2016...your "recalling" certainly needs a bit of work!

Yes.

But this is a thread on Waterford airport, and a private operation rather than a public body.

DAA is semi-state, I thought. Are you seriously suggesting the State didn't invest in the DAA over the years?

From Wikipedia:
    In 2016, DAA paid a €18.3m dividend to the State, its first since 2009.

• Advertisement

Haha..brilliant..head buried in the sand..though I'm beginning to suspect your trolling!

By the way the DAA paid no dividend from 2009 to 2016...your "recalling" certainly needs a bit of work!

If you read more closely you would have seen that the other poster enquired about State funding, not the DAA funding the Exchequer with it's surpluses.

I'd be interested to know myself to be fair - I just don't know a time when they were receiving funding myself and that's going back maybe 20 years - I'm not sure if you know about anything before that.

If there was a lack of dividend, i.e. surplus profits after investing in the business, it might have had something to do with the arse falling out of the economy, and them building and funding Terminal 2.

But again, we're having a great time talking about a state asset versus a private property.

I'm wonder if the airport owners ever proposed to offer equity in the business in exchange for funding, or proposed to repay the funding via a dividend should it return to profit?

If you read more closely you would have seen that the other poster enquired about State funding, not the DAA funding the Exchequer with it's surpluses.

I'd be interested to know myself to be fair - I just don't know a time when they were receiving funding myself and that's going back maybe 20 years - I'm not sure if you know about anything before that.

If there was a lack of dividend, i.e. surplus profits after investing in the business, it might have had something to do with the arse falling out of the economy, and them building and funding Terminal 2.

But again, we're having a great time talking about a state asset versus a private property.

So it's owned and operated by the state for decades but you not sure if ever got any exchequer funding to set up and develop over the years...come on pull that head out, shake off that sand!

So of the 20 years you said it paid a dividend, a 10 second Google search shows it didn't...this is why your losing all credibility or else as I suspect...you're trolling!

...the arse falling out of the economy and them building and developing Terminal 2...and paying off the debt on Corks €100m terminal...sorry did I say that out loud..shush...when will i learn!!!

I'm wonder if the airport owners ever proposed to offer equity in the business in exchange for funding, or proposed to repay the funding via a dividend should it return to profit?

All you need to know about the viability of the proposal is that both KK and WX CoCos have committed money to it.

As others have said, it's €5m. Chicken feed in context. Same cost as a few kms of road.

If it were Cork, Limerick or Galway it would already have gone through on the nod.

So it's owned and operated by the state for decades but you not sure if ever got any exchequer funding to set up and develop over the years...come on pull that head out, shake off that sand!

So of the 20 years you said it paid a dividend, a 10 second Google search shows it didn't...this is why your losing all credibility or else as I suspect...you're trolling!

...the arse falling out of the economy and them building and developing Terminal 2...and paying off the debt on Corks €100m terminal...sorry did I say that out loud..shush...when will i learn!!!

I'll once again put it out there, it's been asked loads of times, if anyone can point to when DAA last received State funding please let us know.

As you've outlined, DAA has done so well it's been able to fund itself, Cork (which it owns) and the Exchequer.

Perhaps if Waterford was to be nationalised as a State asset it'd have been able to get more facilities.

All you need to know about the viability of the proposal is that both KK and WX CoCos have committed money to it.

As others have said, it's €5m. Chicken feed in context. Same cost as a few kms of road.

If it were Cork, Limerick or Galway it would already have gone through on the nod.

Once again it's 60% public money including the council money. Not a criticism - just a clarification.

Galway's airport was closed a few years ago. Cork's doesn't get funded by the State. Shannon is currently pleading for Government funding.

Once again, not criticism, just clarification.

I'm genuinely interested in seeing what outcomes are arrived at once funding eventually arrives. With a private company running it they should have no problems delivering.

Perhaps if Waterford was to be nationalised as a State asset it'd have been able to get more facilities.

Finally..we have a breakthrough...hallelujah!!!

Finally..we have a breakthrough...hallelujah!!!

It would in this instance because DAA would be funding it through commercial revenue - not State funding.

So do you think the airport's owners should be asked to walk away and do the needful?

Once again it's 60% public money including the council money. Not a criticism - just a clarification.

Galway's airport was closed a few years ago. Cork's doesn't get funded by the State. Shannon is currently pleading for Government funding.

Once again, not criticism, just clarification.

I'm genuinely interested in seeing what outcomes are arrived at once funding eventually arrives. With a private company running it they should have no problems delivering.

Did DAA's predecessors ever receive public money?

• Advertisement

Did DAA's predecessors ever receive public money?

I've asked that question myself a few times and as recently as a few minutes ago... I think you'd be going back decades perhaps.

Advertisement