Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Now lets get the North Quays sorted. All hope isn't lost yet lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭curmudgeonly

Have a listen to this interview with Martin Cullen and damien tiernan and Eddie Mulligan, It IS all about confidence!

https://soundcloud.com/wlrfmwaterford/deise-today-6th-june-damiens-interview-with-martin-cullen-and-eddie-mulligan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Gardner wrote: »

Great news. Just shows though how little government funding Waterford gets that €5 million is considered massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Money's normally quite useful to actual functioning airports.

Flybe also seems to think knock is more viable than waterford, so a better investment.

You must be upset by this news today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Finally, the last part of the country to have access to mass aviation.

No doubt some people preferred to keep this anomaly alive with aggressive negative lobbying.

Anyway, having this disadvantage about to be removed, it still leaves lots of catching-up to do to achieve parity with all the other regions in the country who have had access for decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Great news. So does anyone know how soon we might see action here? How long will it take to construct the extension? Presumably, planning permission is needed or has this been obtained already? Or, are there any more obstacles which might prevent this becoming a reality?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Autumn election? :)

Great news. So does anyone know how soon we might see action here? How long will it take to construct the extension? Presumably, planning permission is needed or has this been obtained already? Or, are there any more obstacles which might prevent this becoming a reality?
    Planning is ready to go, I would expect it to be lodged within weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

Have a listen to this interview with Martin Cullen and damien tiernan and Eddie Mulligan, It IS all about confidence!

https://soundcloud.com/wlrfmwaterford/deise-today-6th-june-damiens-interview-with-martin-cullen-and-eddie-mulligan

i'd rather chop my balls off than listen to Eddie Mulligan and Martin Cullen

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Planning is ready to go, I would expect it to be lodged within weeks.
    Hopefully, there'll be no objections. That said, the planning process will take a few months even if it goes smoothly and the work itself will take time also. I'm guessing that this won't be ready until the second half of next year at best?

• Advertisement

Gardner wrote: »
    i'd rather chop my balls off than listen to Eddie Mulligan and Martin Cullen

Oooh chop away ,rather drastic route of protest.
    Even if you detest someone you should listen to them to enable yourself to counter their arguments, listening only to people who agree with you ends up poorly everytime.

Hopefully, there'll be no objections. That said, the planning process will take a few months even if it goes smoothly and the work itself will take time also. I'm guessing that this won't be ready until the second half of next year at best?

May 2019 was the initial plan,until the file went into the temporal anomaly that is Shane Ross's desk, so weather permitting they will bust themselves for that date next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭invara

Not sure this is done. Worth reading the Minister's statement closely.

May 2019 was the initial plan,until the file went into the temporal anomaly that is Shane Ross's desk, so weather permitting they will bust themselves for that date next year.

To complete construction or begin?

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Money's normally quite useful to actual functioning airports.

Flybe also seems to think knock is more viable than waterford, so a better investment.

Flybes business acumen is not something I would be shouting about!

Deiseen wrote: »
    To complete construction or begin?

Complete, all the lighting, ground stabilisation has been quietly done over the last few years.
    So with good autumn weather they would fly through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭tbarry31

I'm sure the Airport would have worked on getting stuff ready in case they got this news not all stuff but some of it. All good news hopefully I could use the airport for holidays instead of Dublin.

Will runway be bigger then Cork Airport I thought I heard this somewhere. What size aircraft can land in Waterford if the runway get's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

tbarry31 wrote: »
    I'm sure the Airport would have worked on getting stuff ready in case they got this news not all stuff but some of it. All good news hopefully I could use the airport for holidays instead of Dublin.

Will runway be bigger then Cork Airport I thought I heard this somewhere. What size aircraft can land in Waterford if the runway get's done.

Might as well do a proper job when doing it at all as they should have from day one! Cork runway is too short I believe, planes had to be diverted in one of the recent storms as the runway was too short. Really hope now they get a decent airline in, I think this airport could be a great success. I don’t mind Dublin but the traffic is getting worse on the M7 and M50. The recent roadworks have been a nightmare, I think WAT could have cleaned up as an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Fox Uniform

Among the private investors who have shown a willingness to commit time, money and expertise to this project are Conor McCarthy (Leadmore Investment Company), Noel Frisby, Dawn Meats Group, Glanbia plc, Coolmore Stud, Stafford Wholesale Ltd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭manor

I am surprised Waterford Co Council gave planning permission for whiskey maturation warehouses at the airport, if they go on fire- bye bye airport.

Among the private investors who have shown a willingness to commit time, money and expertise to this project are Conor McCarthy (Leadmore Investment Company), Noel Frisby, Dawn Meats Group, Glanbia plc, Coolmore Stud, Stafford Wholesale Ltd

Conor Mc Carthy is the lead driver in the whole deal.
    Waterford man originally ,it is obvious where this is going if you read the link below and explains why such a big extension.

https://eoy.ie/entrepreneurs/conor-mccarthy-dublin-aerospace/

manor wrote: »
    I am surprised Waterford Co Council gave planning permission for whiskey maturation warehouses at the airport, if they go on fire- bye bye airport.

Its whiskey not nitroglycerin

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Fox Uniform

Conor Mc Carthy is the lead driver in the whole deal.
    Waterford man originally ,it is obvious where this is going if you read the link below and explains why such a big extension.

https://eoy.ie/entrepreneurs/conor-mccarthy-dublin-aerospace/

And this.......

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/business/irish/dublin-aerospace-considering-base-in-regional-airport-36487781.html

High end engineering jobs in a relatively cheap housing market next to the sea , no problems getting employees to move.

High end engineering jobs in a relatively cheap housing market next to the sea , no problems getting employees to move.

Are all the investors still ready to go considering the long delay?

Deiseen wrote: »
    Are all the investors still ready to go considering the long delay?

Would assume so, Dan Brown has been hard on the case for three years.
    We live in hope, a bit bemused by the conditions Lord Ross attached,essentially build it finance it and then we'll give you the moola.

Again I urge people to listen to Cullens interview above, the realpolitik is no Minister no power.
    Those conditions would not be there if we had a heavy hitter from any bloody party.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭ExoPolitic

Looks brilliant for them and us, heres to hoping it all goes ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭914

manor wrote: »

Really and what about all the aviation fuel fuel stored at waterford airport? Jet A1 and Avgas. I'm sure the whiskey will be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

914 wrote: »
    Really and what about all the aviation fuel fuel stored at waterford airport? Jet A1 and Avgas. I'm sure the whiskey will be grand.

But it might get contaminated!!!!!!!!

:)

Advertisement