Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

julyjane wrote: »
    Does anyone even enjoy flying from Dublin anymore though? I hate it and given the choice I'd pay a small bit extra to fly from a regional airport and not have to navigate the unpredictable M50, park so far from the airport that you need a bus to go the rest of the way and then walk miles to your gate, usually with hours to spare because we had to leave so early or because the flight is delayed.

This has not borne out in Cork or Shannon, with what will be much better route options and longer commutes to Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

snotboogie wrote: »
    That is really optimistic, the M7 and M8 decimated Shannon and Cork who both had extraordinary route options at the time. Waterford with a daily Luton route and a few times weekly bucket and spades isn’t going to pull down people from the likes of Carlow who can nearly as quickly get to Dublin.

Yes it would and further up too- if people further south use Dublin then why won’t the inverse be the same if WAT airport offers them a viable alternative. The fare costs will have to competitive though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

snotboogie wrote: »
    That is really optimistic, the M7 and M8 decimated Shannon and Cork who both had extraordinary route options at the time. Waterford with a daily Luton route and a few times weekly bucket and spades isn’t going to pull down people from the likes of Carlow who can nearly as quickly get to Dublin.

Yes it would and further up too- if people further south use Dublin then why won’t the inverse be the same if WAT airport offers them a viable alternative. The fare costs will have to be competitive though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Sooner that runway gets extended the sooner tourists can jet in for the Spraoi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭DeiseNew

I just read the last few pages of this thread and although im not from Waterford (im a Cork man), I can totally see why this city needs an airport. Even having Cork airport is a soundbite that's constantly rolled out by the detractors, but seriously have you ever travelled regularly from Cork airport? Its not half as good as its made out- the parking costs can be very steep, the delays are constant and the prices even hopping over to London would put you right off.

I know the prices are going to be high from Waterford too but having routes to London and strategic cities in Europe can only be a good thing for the people in Waterford and surrounding areas. I remember maybe about 12 yrs ago in the boom heading to a stag in Galway and we flew from Waterford, that was bonkers, think the flight was only 15 minutes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Bhoy1967

DeiseNew wrote: »
    I just read the last few pages of this thread and although im not from Waterford (im a Cork man), I can totally see why this city needs an airport. Even having Cork airport is a soundbite that's constantly rolled out by the detractors, but seriously have you ever travelled regularly from Cork airport? Its not half as good as its made out- the parking costs can be very steep, the delays are constant and the prices even hopping over to London would put you right off.

I know the prices are going to be high from Waterford too but having routes to London and strategic cities in Europe can only be a good thing for the people in Waterford and surrounding areas. I remember maybe about 12 yrs ago in the boom heading to a stag in Galway and we flew from Waterford, that was bonkers, think the flight was only 15 minutes!

I flew to Amsterdam a few years back. It was brilliant, I was home in my sitting room a half hour after the flight landed to begin the recovery process :pac:

Is Galway airport now closed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Bhoy1967 wrote: »
    Is Galway airport now closed?
    There are no commercial services.
    The local flying club still exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭tbarry31

Anybody any idea when things are going to happen. I'm sure people out there will want it done very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

tbarry31 wrote: »
    Anybody any idea when things are going to happen. I'm sure people out there will want it done very quickly

Bigger fish to be fried first; http://www.constructionbusiness.ie/e350-million-dublin-airport-investment/

Get back down yokels :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

What's that got to do with it? That's between DAA and EIB. Why would it impact Waterford?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

JohnC. wrote: »
    What's that got to do with it? That's between DAA and EIB. Why would it impact Waterford?

Some people are having a really difficult time understanding that the DAA doesn't receive State funding.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Bigger fish to be fried first; http://www.constructionbusiness.ie/e350-million-dublin-airport-investment/

Get back down yokels :rolleyes:

Dublin Airport is run by the DAA who is a semi state company who are funding their runway themselves. Nothing whatsoever to do with Waterford Airport which is getting a regional airport grant for their work

hardybuck wrote: »
    Some people are having a really difficult time understanding that the DAA doesn't receive State funding.

Really? So Dublin Airport has been developed from scratch through private funding? WOW! Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Really? So Dublin Airport has been developed from scratch through private funding? WOW! Really?

Doesn't, as in currently doesn't.

Although I assume you knew this, but you're making a different point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,808 ✭✭✭blackwhite

DAA has applied for, and been granted, a loan for a strategic infrastructure project from the EIB.

If Waterford Airport believe a runway extension (or any other development) would constitute strategic infrastructure (and of course - if they believe they could actually generate the profitability to repay such a loan) then there’s nothing stopping them applying for a similar loan.

blackwhite wrote: »
    DAA has applied for, and been granted, a loan for a strategic infrastructure project from the EIB.

If Waterford Airport believe a runway extension (or any other development) would constitute strategic infrastructure (and of course - if they believe they could actually generate the profitability to repay such a loan) then there’s nothing stopping them applying for a similar loan.

Waterford Airport has been the runt of the litter since inception, unable to get near the state tit, partly due to the fact that it is a private entity(not one of the holy trinity state airports state funded for decades prior to EIB borrowing) and partly because its been squeezed out by the fat asses of Dublin and Cork Airport and their champions in the permanent government, the elected representatives lobbying for them against Waterford and their friends in the media.
    Waterford Airport is hardly starting from a similar position to Cork or Dublin Airports when it comes to EIB borrowing criteria.

Waterford Airport has been the runt of the litter since inception, unable to get near the state tit, partly due to the fact that it is a private entity(not one of the holy trinity state airports state funded for decades prior to EIB borrowing) and partly because its been squeezed out by the fat asses of Dublin and Cork Airport and their champions in the permanent government, the elected representatives lobbying for them against Waterford and their friends in the media.
    Waterford Airport is hardly starting from a similar position to Cork or Dublin Airports when it comes to EIB borrowing criteria.

You're absolutely gas.

Accept that you've made a mistake and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

You're absolutely gas.

Accept that you've made a mistake and move on.

There was, however, a disproportionate negative reaction in some of the press when the funding for the runway extension was announced.

I'd be interested in why it was disproportionate and the motives and influences of those with the exaggerated negative reactions.

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    There was, however, a disproportionate negative reaction in some of the press when the funding for the runway extension was announced.

I'd be interested in why it was disproportionate and the motives and influences of those with the exaggerated negative reactions.

The goalposts keep shifting here. A poster made a comment about DAA getting funding while Waterford were waiting for it - but the two issues are totally separate as DAA don't receive State funding - a line should be drawn under that.

There was indeed a negative, and perhaps bemused reaction, among some in the media as to why an airport that you can't catch a flight from got money.

The best reaction here would be to ignore it, stop moaning, and get on and use the funds to the best effect and silence the critics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

The goalposts keep shifting here. A poster made a comment about DAA getting funding while Waterford were waiting for it - but the two issues are totally separate as DAA don't receive State funding - a line should be drawn under that.

There was indeed a negative, and perhaps bemused reaction, among some in the media as to why an airport that you can't catch a flight from got money.

The best reaction here would be to ignore it, stop moaning, and get on and use the funds to the best effect and silence the critics.

I think we should learn from this - rather than ignoring it.

The reaction suggests active negative campaigning against Waterford and the wider region. I'd say this extends well beyond the runway extension.Would the source of this be other regions for which we are in competition for state resources with? I'd be concluding such are actions are organised, co-ordinated and operate methodically. Up to this point many would have suggested inertia or disinterest at the state level for the complete lack of investment in this region. Now we see otherwise.

A more protracted problem would be this: a common assertion is that we lack a Minister 'at the table' to 'fight for our corner'. Minister's Ross and Halligan and the Taoiseach (no less) all supported this runway extension. Yet, even then, resistance came from the Dublin based civil service. This suggest a culture embedded within it that is incapable of seeing beyond their own favourites, namely Dublin and the places they visit or have second homes in.

• Advertisement

I think we should learn from this - rather than ignoring it.

The reaction suggests active negative campaigning against Waterford and the wider region. I'd say this extends well beyond the runway extension.Would the source of this be other regions for which we are in competition for state resources with? I'd be concluding such are actions are organised, co-ordinated and operate methodically. Up to this point many would have suggested inertia or disinterest at the state level for the complete lack of investment in this region. Now we see otherwise.

A more protracted problem would be this: a common assertion is that we lack a Minister 'at the table' to 'fight for our corner'. Minister's Ross and Halligan and the Taoiseach (no less) all supported this runway extension. Yet, even then, resistance came from the Dublin based civil service. This suggest a culture embedded within it that is incapable of seeing beyond their own favourites, namely Dublin and the places they visit or have second homes in.

Wheeling the discussion back to the 'poor me' stuff again. If you mentioned apathy I might be tempted to agree with you, but to suggest an organised and methodically directed campaign by 'them up there' is really amusing.

By the way, more civil servants work outside Dublin than in Dublin, and the head of Shane Ross' Department is from up around Lismore Park.

I'll leave you at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

The reaction suggests active negative campaigning against Waterford and the wider region. I'd say this extends well beyond the runway extension.Would the source of this be other regions for which we are in competition for state resources with? I'd be concluding such are actions are organised, co-ordinated and operate methodically.

This is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Fox Uniform

I think the reaction was more anti Ross & Halligan campaigning, in reality the negative press lasted 24 hours and then generally forgotten.... just like the childrens hospital and broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

This is insane.

There is merit in what he is saying.

Ask anyone in the South East.

Deiseen wrote: »
    There is merit in what he is saying.

Ask anyone in the South East.

That there's a coordinated campaign run by other regions to make sure funding is diverted away from the south east? Are you serious? That's Trump level nonsense.

Regions compete for funding obviously, and of course some are better at it than others. But if people down there genuinely believe that the other regions somehow work together to conspire against the south east, there appears to be some worrying levels of paranoia kicking in.

That there's a coordinated campaign run by other regions to make sure funding is diverted away from the south east? Are you serious? That's Trump level nonsense.

Regions compete for funding obviously, and of course some are better at it than others. But if people down there genuinely believe that the other regions somehow work together to conspire against the south east, there appears to be some worrying levels of paranoia kicking in.

Let's use the Cath lab as another example from the airport shall we.

We see figures published that prove Cork and Dublin hospitals are taking people outside of Monday - Friday 9 to 5 and using those people to justify their own cath labs. Without those poor souls making the long journey by ambulance, they wouldn't reach the required numbers to justify some of their own additional cath labs. There's fighting for funding of course but how can the HSE allow that process to even occur?

On top of that, you have an 'independent' report that has the HSE stating within the terms of reference that it does not see an extra Cath Lab in the South East as justified, essentially telling the guy writing the report what outcome they want. There was some extremely questionable assumptions made in that report so lord only knows what was being said behind closed doors.

Then you have An Taoiseach stating that the people of the South East justifiably feel like they don't get a fair crack of the whip.

So I guess yeah, we are paranoid.

Deiseen wrote: »
    Let's use the Cath lab as another example from the airport shall we.

We see figures published that prove Cork and Dublin hospitals are taking people outside of Monday - Friday 9 to 5 and using those people to justify their own cath labs. Without those poor souls making the long journey by ambulance, they wouldn't reach the required numbers to justify some of their own additional cath labs. There's fighting for funding of course but how can the HSE allow that process to even occur?

On top of that, you have an 'independent' report that has the HSE stating within the terms of reference that it does not see an extra Cath Lab in the South East as justified, essentially telling the guy writing the report what outcome they want. There was some extremely questionable assumptions made in that report so lord only knows what was being said behind closed doors.

Then you have An Taoiseach stating that the people of the South East justifiably feel like they don't get a fair crack of the whip.

So I guess yeah, we are paranoid.

Nice rant and all, but none of the above regarding the HSE has anything to do with the original poster's nonsensical claim that other regions are methodically coordinating in an organised manner against the south east region.

If you're unhappy with the HSE get on to your elected representatives about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Nice rant and all, but none of the above regarding the HSE has anything to do with the original poster's nonsensical claim that other regions are methodically coordinating in an organised manner against the south east region.

Cork actively sabotaging UHW isn't co-ordinating against the South East region? Putting it's people's lives at risk?

Cosmo leave the paranoid folks to themselves. They don't actually know how to stop - even when the money is forthcoming the moaning continues.

• Advertisement

Don't think he said it was other regions, he stated that its coming from somewhere and questioned if it was other regions.

If you want to reduce my post to a rant then go ahead but it's all facts. Someone is leaning on the HSE to ensure that UHW investment is kept to a minimum, even in the face of clear and obvious need.

Whether that is the Government, some ministers, other regions, the HSE themselves or someone else then who knows, but it's happening.

The Taoiseach confirmed as much so I suppose he is mental aswell is he?

Advertisement