Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭curmudgeonly

AFAIK the deal with the Council has Milestones and a timeline built into it, i.e. it will not be possible for anyone to just sit on the property and do nothing, develop or lose it.

Again FYI

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

How many houses - how much land is being CPO 'd

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

2 houses are all that are affected, both at the end of the runway. all land acquisitions happened some years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭914

I'd be more worried about Bolster announcing all this funding and that the business plan has yet to be sent to government?

That is surely not going to be submitted, looked at until well after Christmas at this stage.

Surely part of the announcement should have been that they submitted the business plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

I thought it was on the ministers desk for ages anyway before this announcement?

• Advertisement

At the recent announcement it was said that they hope to submit the business plan in the coming weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 45 chasing_ghosts

From what I've heard, hopefully the business case will be approved by the start of spring. And soil turned by late summer.

You'd forget how big a project it is, runway extension, new taxiways/apron, terminal extension. I would guess that we don't see flights until the end of 2025. But I do have faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 chasing_ghosts

The owners of two houses would've also known when they were built that eventually they'd have to be levelled.

Really? It has not been submitted to government yet? We know the governments track records when business cases are submitted, that seems like a very quick and probably unrealistic turnaround.

Given that and the fact this time of year the government won't be back sitting till mid January early spring seems very unrealistic.

I hope I am wrong by the way.

Really? It has not been submitted to government yet? We know the governments track records when business cases are submitted, that seems like a very quick and probably unrealistic turnaround.

Given that and the fact this time of year the government won't be back sitting till mid January early spring seems very unrealistic.

I hope I am wrong by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Seems a bit odd , the extension might never have been built ,and if the coast guard had decided to leave ,the airport might not have continued at all ,

Admittedly being bought out is probably their best option

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

I know that but there were earlier announcements saying it was on the ministers desk or am I mistaken?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Fox Uniform

I would assume this is an updated plan.

They definitely got a business plan before the approved the original 5 million extension funding

I'm not sure, it wasn't long ago that Leo was on WLR saying they are awaiting the business plan.

I'm not sure a business plan was even submitted a number of years back when the initial amount requested was 5 million, I think it was more of a you get the money we'll go halves providing a business plan is provided and makes financial sense, I'd imagine a new one needs to be submitted based on the new cost?

Maybe someone in the know had an idea but as far as I have seen the government are still awaiting a business plan from the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Dum_Dum_2

It's not a big project.

It's a moderate upgrade to a regional airport.

If there was an Overton Window equivalent for ambition, then the Waterford one has shrunk to well below mediocrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭azimuth17

It is a big project but can be completed relatively easily.

The wiring for the lighting was already relocated to allow for widening of the runway.

As there are no schedule services there is little impact, yes impact on private flights, aero club and training school.

Coast guard can use the current taxiway for take off and landing if the runway is closed.

All in all it could be completed relatively quickly due to not having schedule services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Despite your optimism has a contract for the proposed works even been advertised yet….? I don’t think so……therefore I would suggest that the end of 2025 at the earliest would be when Ryan air type flights might return…?

I am not overly optimistic, the fact a business plan has yet to be sent to government has me concerned.

It's not the frist time Bolster has said that "the money is there" so until I business plan is sent I don't feel the project is happening.

If €11 million private funding is there, then just start the bloody project, that is how to put pressure on government to see this through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Unfortunately the political climate is completely against this project- air travel is portrayed as the devil incarnate. Until we junk the “Green” party I’m afraid this and numerous vital road projects around the country are doomed. All they’ll do is delay and waffle on about “sustainable” transport etc

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Valhalla90

Greens will be gone next election no doubt about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

I have just been looking at the new extended runway plan and realised that it is rather close to the roadways at both the northern and southern ends. In approximate terms the new runway would be about 200m from the R708 road at the northern end and about 100m from the R685 Dunmore-Tramore road at the southern end. Is this not a bit too close?

Checking online there doesn’t seem to be a minimum clearance distance for an airport runway to a public road. There are numerous examples of island runways and public roads. In Gibraltar for instance the road actually goes across the runway and has traffic lights.

However, an aircraft heavily laden might need the entire runway to get off the ground. We are told that these aircraft can take off in 1800m and we have 2287m available. Then it should be okay, or is it?

Given that the prevailing wind is south westerly this will mean that aircraft will usually be taking off going south. It could be a little scary for a driver on the Dunmore-Tramore road going underneath. An Airbus 320 or Boeing 737 is very large up close.

Should the Dunmore-Tramore road be diverted south to give more clearance? Maybe the Gibraltar method of traffic lights might be a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Valhalla90

Let’s get the planes landing and taking off first then worry about this!

I wouldn't worry about it, that's 200 meters from the road and probably another 200/300 meters between that and the touch down pads and take off area, any plane would be well clear of the road in take off and landing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

The length of a runway has to allow a plane to accelerate to decision speed (after which the pilot cannot abort takeoff) and then brake safely to a stop, with some margin over, so in practice, when they take off, there is plenty of tarmac still underneath them and they're high above the end of the runway, even when fully loaded.

By the time a plane crosses the airport perimiter, it's overhead rather than coming right at you, so for the majority of drivers and takeoffs, it's just not going to be an issue. That said, you never know who's going to be startled, and what I have seen is warning lights on the road, a bit like at an unattended level crossing - these are linked either to ATC takeoff clearance or else some sort of sensor by the runway I would assume. I'm sure if there's a case for these, they'll install them - on a project like this, there will be plenty of regulatory requirements that will need to be adhered to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

It actually doesn't look too close from what I can see. It reminds me of Runway 25 here at Cork, my own "home base". The R600 to Kinsale crosses under the approach path a mere 246 meters away from the runway threshold, but the touchdown zone markings are a further 240 meters in, over 500 meters away from the road. I took the picture below a few years back, while returning from Bristol on an Aer Lingus Regional ATR. As you can see, even accounting for the terrain and the fact that this pic was taken just before overflying the R600, there's still more than enough clearance.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

Eamon doesn't have a coherent mind, and will be gone in the not too distant future. He is completely useless as Minister for Transport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

That sort of thinking is not only arse about face, it will never get past the aviation regulator

• Advertisement
Advertisement