Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wordpress eCommerce Plugin

Options
  • 02-11-2012 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

I have a Wordpress site that uses PayPal buy now buttons, so no shopping cart at all.
    In an attempt to increase the conversion rate I am looking at the possibility of upgrading to a shopping cart.
    At the moment the buying experience could be seen as a bit amateurish or crude in some ways.

So I have been looking at the Wordpress eCommerce plugin and have some questions....
    1. Anybody using this plugin and able to give their opinions on it?
    2. The original developer of the site has provided a quotation of €1000 to install and configure / test etc. and I have had a less than 100% experience with a developer based in India that I used through Elance for another small project so I am looking for recommendations for good local Wordpress developers that could implement this project
    3. Do you think having a properly configured shopping cart which would allow the user to order multiple quantities, select currency, select shipping methods etc would increase conversion rates over having PayPal buy now buttons? (see http://www.drypro.ie/products/arm-protection for eg) ?
    Thanks in advance for all answers / opinions

JMR

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 MarkScully

Hi JMR,

Have you a link to your site which you can provide?

To be honest, Wordpress sites are not the best platform for eCommerce in my experience. You would be much better off with a CMS built from the ground up with selling in mind like Magento or possibly Joomla.

Does your existing site get much traffic and sales?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

MarkScully wrote: »
    Hi JMR,

Have you a link to your site which you can provide?

To be honest, Wordpress sites are not the best platform for eCommerce in my experience. You would be much better off with a CMS built from the ground up with selling in mind like Magento or possibly Joomla.

Does your existing site get much traffic and sales?

Fair enough if he's selling a lot of products, but he's only selling three, so in that respect a rebuild using a eCommerce system is probably unnecessary. WordPress is more than adequate.

OP

I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so, in this ( http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78454108 ) thread a few months ago you asked for help, and I suggested you do exactly what you want to do now.

So I'll suggest now what I suggested then;

"your site's not great, you'd probably be better off just buying an ecommerce theme and having someone install it for you. No point throwing good money after bad. http://templatic.com/ecommerce-themes/store/ would be ideal"

You'd be looking at between €500-1000 to move everything over, fine tuning and any customisation required. What you're doing at the moment is hacking a theme to do something it wasn't designed to do, and that's not the correct way to go about doing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 MarkScully

Ah sorry Cormee - I completely missed the link in the first post.

I would have to agree with you. Due to number of products, it certainly would make a lot of sense to improve on the existing framework. I would still suggest working out whether the site generates enough revenue to justify any changes.

From initial analysis, it's quite off-putting from a consumer point of view at the moment.

Advertisement