Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemarathon 7/4/2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Less than a week to go so I'll start the ball rolling with the "Good Luck" wishes.....

Very, very best of luck to everyone this Sunday, whatever distance you're running. I hope the weather is as perfect as it was last year and I hope The Hell of the West has somehow managed to shrink a little;)

Extra special good wishes to the Ultra runners, I LOVED it last year and I will definitely be back to do it again in the future.

Go n'éirií an bóthar libh:)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭doctorchick

TonFla wrote: »
    Hey. Anyone know if it's possible to drive to Leenane for the HM Start? Thanks

From the Connemarathon FAQ:-
    Q: CAN I DRIVE TO THE START?

No. There is absolutely no car parking at any of our start or finish areas.
    You must use the race buses to get to the start. All cars parked anywhere on the route or at the finish area will be removed.

If you were to park at Leenane for the HM you would have to get back there after finishing. The roads are closed between Leenane and Maam Cross until after 3pm so you would not be able to get back that way anyway. As none of the buses go back to Leenane you would have to make your own way back there anyway.

short form: Don't park in Leenane, take the bus

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭babalobioddy

I will be driveing from kilkenny to Galway for the connemarathon leaving the day before if someone wants a lift. pm me if you want to join me for the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 shinshin10

Just wondering how strict is this rule regarding no ipods?? I know its antisocial using one, but id rather listen to music than having to listen what could be early signs of a heart attack with my breathing :P

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

shinshin10 wrote: »
    Just wondering how strict is this rule regarding no ipods?? I know its antisocial using one, but id rather listen to music than having to listen what could be early signs of a heart attack with my breathing :P

The roads are not closed as such you'll have some normal traffic and emergency vehicles, the organizer states that they are not allowed for this very reason.

For your safety and that of other runners they should not be used, I had to tell a number of runners last year to move out of the way of cars because they simply could not hear them,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,417 ✭✭✭Shedite27

What time bus are people aiming for to do the marathon? Times on the site are a little strange
    Full Marathon

Buses depart Cathedral Car Park, Galway City starting at 8:00am.

The first bus will depart Oughterard at 8:30am to reach race start at Lough Inagh at 9:15am. All Walkers should use this Bus to reach race start on time. Last Bus will leave Oughterard at 9:15am to reach race start at Lough Inagh at 10:00am. There will not be a bus from Leenaun to Full Marathon Start.

So the first bus leaves Galway at 8am for the walk start, which is an hour before the run start. Only says last bus leaves Oughterard at 9.15am - presume this means last bus leaves Galway at 8.45???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

I know there are links to the courses on the first page, but does anyone have a link / record of their actual splits so that I can gauge the extra time needed for the hills and time gained on the downhill parts?

There are 3 significant climbs as far as I can make out :

1. Miles 6.3 - 7.6
    2. Miles 13.3 - 15
    3. Miles 22.5 - 24.2

And 3 falls
    1. Miles 9.5 - 11
    2. Miles 15 - 17.5
    3 Miles 24.2 - 25.2

This link has an average pace for the course @ 8.19, I wonder what the splits actually were?

http://connect.garmin.com/course/2694010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Sad not to be taking part myself anymore, but good luck everyone and have a great day out and hope everyone runs whatever time your hoping for!

See you next year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Brenner65

I just put in connemarathon garmin into google and it came back with this:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/2720454

Hope this helps.

For some reason I couldn't open your link. Its my first marathon and have no idea what pace to do. If it was Dublin I'd go a steady 5:30min/km so I'm just going to try and keep to 5:40min/km average so I can to compensate for hills. Will lose a bit going up and hopefully gain a bit going down Slow I know but happy if I averaged that in the end!!

My big fear is the steep downhill into Lenane(dodgy knees) and then the hill up there. Don't want to put too much into that hill and have nothing left for HOTW.

Quick question for any regulars, are there any rules on the baggage drop? Last time I did the half it was just a truck - presume this is the same? I'm gonna be checking out of my hotel Sunday morning so bringing everything with me (jeans, jacket, toothbrush etc). Presume there's no problem leaving this on the truck?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Quick question for any regulars, are there any rules on the baggage drop? Last time I did the half it was just a truck - presume this is the same? I'm gonna be checking out of my hotel Sunday morning so bringing everything with me (jeans, jacket, toothbrush etc). Presume there's no problem leaving this on the truck?

Are you travelling to Galway by public transport or in a car?
    If by car, you can leave your regular clothes in boot of the car, and just bring a couple of layers on the bus.
    If by public transport, you could ask the hotel to store a bag while you're at the race & collect it later.

Having said that, I had no issue with bag drop last year, but I only had extra layers in it.

Are you travelling to Galway by public transport or in a car? If by car, you can leave your regular clothes in boot of the car, and just bring a couple of layers on the bus. If by public transport, you could ask the hotel to store a bag while you're at the race & collect it later.
    Sorry should have specified, going by train, and hotel is 25mns out of Galway so I'm trying to avoid an extra 50 minute walk Sunday evening to pickup a bag in the hotel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I would put a sad smiley on this post, but it feels wrong and inappropriate.

My step dad died this morning and his funeral will be on Saturday. Maybe I should not have said that I would not miss the Ultra for the world. Obviously I'll miss it for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

My step dad died this morning and his funeral will be on Saturday. Maybe I should not have said that I would not miss the Ultra for the world. Obviously I'll miss it for that.

Sorry to hear your news TBF. Sincere condolences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss Thomas, I'm sure you will be very much missed in Connemara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Sorry to hear that Thomas - condolences to you and family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Sorry to hear that Tomas.
    Its news like this that makes you realise how insignificant all the worries we have about racing are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Alex_St

I'm sorry for you loss, Thomas. There are really things more important than running.

I wanted to ask about a nice place for a short morning jog in Dublin. I'll save my best for Sunday, still want to do some easy (30-45 minutes) and relaxing runs on Thursday and Friday. Any recommendation, please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Alex_St wrote: »
    I wanted to ask about a nice place for a short morning jog in Dublin. I'll save my best for Sunday, still want to do some easy (30-45 minutes) and relaxing runs on Thursday and Friday. Any recommendation, please ?

Depends where you are staying really? What part of the city will you be staying in?

Depends where you are staying really? What part of the city will you be staying in?

pretty close to the city center I think - it's called Talbot Street

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Alex_St wrote: »
    pretty close to the city center I think - it's called Talbot Street

What distance do you want?

Hop on the Luas (tram) at abbey st. (next to Talbot) and get off at Heuston Station and run in Phoenix Park. You will be there in 10 mins without traffic

Phoenix Park sounds good. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

statss wrote: »
    I know there are links to the courses on the first page, but does anyone have a link / record of their actual splits so that I can gauge the extra time needed for the hills and time gained on the downhill parts?

There are 3 significant climbs as far as I can make out :

1. Miles 6.3 - 7.6
    2. Miles 13.3 - 15
    3. Miles 22.5 - 24.2

And 3 falls
    1. Miles 9.5 - 11
    2. Miles 15 - 17.5
    3 Miles 24.2 - 25.2

This link has an average pace for the course @ 8.19, I wonder what the splits actually were?

http://connect.garmin.com/course/2694010

I wouldn't really count 6.3 - 7.6 as a significant climb - it's a short sharp hill as you turn right onto the Clifden/Leenane road, but shouldn't do too much damage to average times. The downhill from 9.5 miles is a nice steady downhill but last year the only real wind on the course was a stiff breeze into the face on the coast road here and this section actually cost me time. On the other sharper downhills at 15 and 24, I usually find that I can make up between a 1/3 and a 1/2 of the time lost on the preceding uphills - but this depends on how much time you've lost on the uphills and how well you're feeling because it also takes some effort to release into the downhills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

roro2 wrote: »
    I wouldn't really count 6.3 - 7.6 as a significant climb - it's a short sharp hill as you turn right onto the Clifden/Leenane road, but shouldn't do too much damage to average times. The downhill from 9.5 miles is a nice steady downhill but last year the only real wind on the course was a stiff breeze into the face on the coast road here and this section actually cost me time. On the other sharper downhills at 15 and 24, I usually find that I can make up between a 1/3 and a 1/2 of the time lost on the preceding uphills - but this depends on how much time you've lost on the uphills and how well you're feeling because it also takes some effort to release into the downhills.

Thanks for the input, I was classifying anything over 50ft net gain / down as significant. That's good to know re 6.3 - 7.60, I was thinking +30 seconds here. Probably way too much.

I'm doing the full for the first time, so have never done the hill at mile 6. Biggest piece of advice from my experience of the second half is not to underestimate the 2 miles from the top of the last hill to the finish. I belted up the last hill the first time I did it having being told "this is the last bit" only to get to the top and realise I still have 15/16 minutes to go.

Can't wait to do it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

Very sorry to hear that Thomas. Condolences to you and your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Typical.. almost no rain and dry sunshine in the West for the last 5 weeks and the first day of rain due is ..... Sunday . Sigh :-9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Typical.. almost no rain and dry sunshine in the West for the last 5 weeks and the first day of rain due is ..... Sunday . Sigh :-9

Hey hey HTT.... positive thoughts! :) Accuweather is telling me 11 degrees and zero precip for Sunday. There's a big sunshine pic, a few token clouds and the comment 'perhaps a shower', which will do I think...

http://www.accuweather.com/en/ie/maam-cross/208577/daily-weather-forecast/208577?day=5

I might need my shades.... :cool:

Edit: Just noticed the 'expect showery weather Saturday evening through Sunday evening'... Oh well, I'm going to go with the other part of the forecast!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Happy Days , LIke your forecast better than the one I saw. We have had almost perfect weather here for ages.
    Im sure you will have a brilliant run and another fantastic success after Tralee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

Sorry to hear that Thomas, condolences on your loss.
    Killerz wrote: »
    Hey hey HTT.... positive thoughts! :) Accuweather is telling me 11 degrees and zero precip for Sunday. There's a big sunshine pic, a few token clouds and the comment 'perhaps a shower', which will do I think...

http://www.accuweather.com/en/ie/maam-cross/208577/daily-weather-forecast/208577?day=5

I might need my shades.... :cool:

Edit: Just noticed the 'expect showery weather Saturday evening through Sunday evening'... Oh well, I'm going to go with the other part of the forecast!

The Norwegians are a bit pessimistic as well but it while it might be wet it doesn't look horrendous. Guess we'll just have to wait & see how the day turns out.

Advertisement