Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemarathon 7/4/2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

What ever about rain, It's the 'W' word I'm worried about!! Seem to have trained through some of the worst weather i've ever run in over the winter this year, so there can't be much I haven't encountered recently. The last time I was in that area for a weekend away it was hard to stand upright with the wind, hoping for some still air on Sunday!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

sideswipe wrote: »
    What ever about rain, It's the 'W' word I'm worried about!! Seem to have trained through some of the worst weather i've ever run in over the winter this year, so there can't be much I haven't encountered recently. The last time I was in that area for a weekend away it was hard to stand upright with the wind, hoping for some still air on Sunday!!

True that. It doesn't look like heavy rain and a little shower can be refreshing during a long run..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

sideswipe wrote: »
    What ever about rain, It's the 'W' word I'm worried about!!
    Yeah wind is my most hated of the elements. Due to be SE wind Sunday which would be in your face for the entire second half (or all the half course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

here's a video I found of someone who did the half - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPXoGOI1gps

hell of the west seems grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

One of the main factors that hit me on the Hell was the amount of people who stop and start to walk,, the momentum of the race goes and your motivation takes a hit,, it really is a mind over matter obstacle!
    I'm so determined with completing it this year without stopping.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Weather is looking better, bit of sun so won't be freezing i'd say. Only worry now is wind as it won't be fun running into a strong wind

3 days left of tapering..

I wouldn't mind a swim training session and/or a weight circuit in the gym as I'm getting restless.

Seeing as the legs wouldn't be used as intensively in the pool and not at all in the gym would it be ok? Or do you have to rest completely for these few days (bar a 2-3 mile slow run to keep the blood pumping).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

dunno if it's the right thing to do, but I am planning a trip to the gym tommorow for 20/30 mins on the cross trainer, a few stretches, a bit of a swim, then sauna/steam room relaxation....can't see it doing any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Brenner65

Went to Gym on Tuesday (spin class..Stupid) and I fear I've aggravated my ITB. Never had this injury before but soreness along outside of thigh from hip to knee and tendon feels as tight as. Noticed niggle there last few days but put it down to taper madness. Hoping it’s still half paranoia but is damn sore now. Not sure I want to go to physio either for fear of news. I will run for sure anyway but desperate not to pull up.
    Just want to thank all you boards contributors. There were some great tips and advice here over last few months. Mostly read rather than contributed as you lot have some great experience amongst yourselves and for newbie’s like me, it’s great to read.
    Off to pack the car for Louisburgh now and hopefully have a good day on Sunday:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TonFla

Doing the Connemara half-marathon for the first time. Looking for a time of 95 min (7.15 m/m). Any general advice?

• Advertisement

TonFla wrote: »
    Doing the Connemara half-marathon for the first time. Looking for a time of 95 min (7.15 m/m). Any general advice?

Don't run slower than 7.15min/mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nshan

First of all I just want to say sorry to You Thomas for your loss. I got emailed your blog a couple of weeks ago and find it very interesting and inspiring. Your presence will no doubt be missed at this year's race.

I am just about to purchase specator tickets. However my family are not coming up till sunday and I see that the tickets are going to be left in the registration pack. My problem is how to get the tickets to my family. Anyone else have this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭doctorchick

nshan wrote: »
    I am just about to purchase specator tickets. However my family are not coming up till sunday and I see that the tickets are going to be left in the registration pack. My problem is how to get the tickets to my family. Anyone else have this problem?

Are you staying in a hotel etc on Saturday night ? You could leave the tickets in an envelope behind the desk to be picked up by your family. Most of the hotels used by people for Conn are very accommodating to all manner of strange requests from runners.

I am actually staying in a farmhouse near Maam cross. I might try and leave the tickets in some shop/pub in oughterard abd hopefully they will hold onto them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 121212

Ok getting nervous now, first full and starting to worry about the course. Know theres a couple of fairly crazy hills just wondering from someone that has done it before if ye took away the last hill at 22, how difficult a course it is?

121212 wrote: »
    Ok getting nervous now, first full and starting to worry about the course. Know theres a couple of fairly crazy hills just wondering from someone that has done it before if ye took away the last hill at 22, how difficult a course it is?

There is far too much emphasis put on these hills. There are essentially two hills at around mile 13 and 22 approx.
    They are not steep hills, more gradual and sustained over about 1.7 miles. If you have done sufficient hill training you will be ok.

One thing I would say is do not stop on and walk them as people always do, you just lose all momentum. Slow the pace but maintain the same level of effort.

And remember for every hill there's a nice downhill stretch after. Don't fear it, embrace it, you'll be grand!

TonFla wrote: »
    Run slower than 7.15 for the first mile and a bit. That's the toughest/steepest section. You'll make up the time after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

Anyone got a "reliable" weather report for the area.
    Last time i did this we got the 4 seasons

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

Met Eireann

Sunday will be mainly dry, if mostly cloudy, over much of Ulster and Leinster, with just the odd bright spell. Connacht and Munster will be overcast and misty. Some drizzle at times and with some more persistent rain expected in west Munster. Top temperatures of 7 to 10 C. Winds will be moderate to fresh southeasterly. Sunday night will be misty and mostly cloudy. Rain will affect much of Munster and also parts of south Connacht and later the southeast coast. Most other areas should stay dry. Lowest temperatures plus 1 to plus 4 C.

eoin ryan wrote: »
    Anyone got a "reliable" weather report for the area.
    Dow99 wrote: »
    Met Eireann
    :D

• Advertisement

I've looked at 3-4 different sources, it seems for the most part it will be an ok day but showers of some form are likely in the early afternoon.

No panic. Just make sure you bring proper gear with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

26/27km SE winds :( That's a stiff head wind for the second half.

EDIT: sources - google weather and www.wunderground.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

26/27km SE winds :( That's a stiff head wind for the second half.

EDIT: sources - google weather and www.wunderground.com

The Norwegians have upgraded their predictions so I'll happily take this if it's accurate :)

maamj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

ebixa82 wrote: »
    I've looked at 3-4 different sources, it seems for the most part it will be an ok day but showers of some form are likely in the early afternoon.

No panic. Just make sure you bring proper gear with you.

Just run fast and get in before the rain :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Brenner65

There is a weather front coming in from the atlantic on Sunday. It consists of two lows. One to the North and one to the South. They are pulling in opposite directions on the latest model run which has changed the outlook. In short it caused a kink in the front so its now shaped like a "C" where connemara is sitting in the centre of the C on Sunday thus keeping the rain away and the winds lighter. (the bottom of the C is munster and will probably get rain). The problem is with the change in the weather its very difficult to predict exactly when the rain wil arrive. If the low to the south move up a bit, we'll get rain. A few models are predicticting this but currently most agree they will split further apart giving us our C shape front and keeping us dry:). The norwegians use the ECMWF model and this is one of those now predicting the lows splitting further apart. Was not the case yesterday.The short range models coming into play now agree with this. If I was a betting man I'd say we'll be ok. Might get a little drizzle but if rain comes I don't think it will be too bad. The wind will be from a Southerly direction so probably running into it on the HOTW. Hopefully it won't be too bad though.
    Keep an eye on RTE tonight. If lows still splitting we'll be ok.

The lows and fronts I'm on about can be seen here for midday tomorrow. Just picture it moving in over the 24hours.
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/atlantic-charts.asp

Even better, click here http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-atlantic.asp , and select Rainfall and bring bar down the bottom to sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

My Man Brenner65... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Best of luck to everybody doing this over the weekend.
    Special shout out to those tackling their respective distances for the 1st time - enjoy the experience.

Hi lads just enquiring about the spectator buses. I know it says they leave at 12 from oughterard but is this the only time or will there be buses going from there to finish area up to 2-3 o'clock?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Alex_St

I'm on the train to Galway... they show you the distances between stations .
    Wow... never realised that 60 km is such a long way. I'm almost tired by just sitting down and looking on the screen :).

Hope to survive this challenge :).
    Doesn't matter the weather or my time - it is only about finishing and enjoying the ultra experience.

Good luck to everyone!

• Advertisement

Advertisement