Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemarathon 7/4/2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

got sun burnt at this last year ... great race ... enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

I just collected my race pack there. Very smooth process. When you walk into Elverys at the back right there are two boards with the entrants listed alphabetically. You can get you race number from those. A race organiser hands you a white bag which you can use tomorrow to store your dry clothes after the race. (Your race pack will contain a sticker with your race number on it. Make sure to stick this on to your white bag so you will be able to identify it after the race tomorrow.) Armed with your race number go to the correct number station and give them your race number. I didn't need to show ID but they did ask my date of birth. Before you leave they will scan you race pack to make sure that your timing chip is working and you're done.
    The expo upstairs is fairly tame. Although there is complementary tea, coffee and pasta so make sure and go up for a look. There is also a massage table set up but it is a bit early in the morning to be togging off in a sports shop!!!
    Best of luck to all those running tomorrow. It's a cracking morning here in Galway - more of the same tomorrow would be greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

do you have the uses the bags provided or can you use your own bag for clothes storage for after the race?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

I'm not sure. The bag they provided is pretty big and I think it seals at the top so it will keep your clothes relatively dry. I'm going to thow my clothes into a large zip lock bag and then stuff that into the white bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

ok, cool, all the same really so if the bag provided is big. hitting the road now. good luck everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Best of luck to everyone. Looking forward to reading the race reports!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

best of luck to everyone doing it tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Sun splitting the stones here in Galway city.... The sweet smell of beer, people sitting out on the streets with pints.... Oh man, it is tough to resist!

Got my number earlier 39028 and myself and Mrs killerz are all set for the morning. Good luck to all my fellow runners of all distances, tomorrow we shall be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 QwertyIII

Im sure it'll be obvious in the morning but does anyone know where the bus leaves from Clifden, Market st?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Best of luck everyone tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Greetings from Maam Cross, spectacular evening here, just went for a stroll up the road and came upon to 1 mile sign for the ultra, brought home the size of task ahead!! Looking forward to it now, hope the weather plays ball. Best of luck to everyone running tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

sideswipe wrote: »
    Greetings from Maam Cross, spectacular evening here, just went for a stroll up the road and came upon to 1 mile sign for the ultra, brought home the size of task ahead!! Looking forward to it now, hope the weather plays ball. Best of luck to everyone running tomorrow.

Very best of luck K, I'm sure it will go really well for you, you've worked hard and you'll have a great race:)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Best of luck to you all. Enjoy what is a great event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

statss wrote: »
    do you have the uses the bags provided or can you use your own bag for clothes storage for after the race?

I was planning on bringing my own bag but it seems now i may not be allow :( I won't be able to fit everything I had planned on bringing in their plastic bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

martyboy48 wrote: »
    I was planning on bringing my own bag but it seems now i may not be allow :( I won't be able to fit everything I had planned on bringing in their plastic bag.

Pretty sure I remember all sorts of bags being loaded on the truck last year, not just the bags provided.

Best of Luck to all racing tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

5:30:09 on my garmin, disappointed for 2 minutes as I thought sub 5:30 was in the bag but hadn't allowed for my garmin measuring long (39.54) happy it's over! Wind was a killer for the last 13.1. Huge thanks to killerz who helped the miles tick by nicely, I'd probably have struggled to get near 5:30 if I hadn't run the first section aggressively keeping up with him!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Great running there Sideswipe, no problem to ya! I wouldn't worry about the few secs, you'll probably be back to knock plenty more besides off that next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

sideswipe wrote: »
    5:30:09 on my garmin, disappointed for 2 minutes as I thought sub 5:30 was in the bag but hadn't allowed for my garmin measuring long (39.54) happy it's over! Wind was a killer for the last 13.1. Huge thanks to killerz who helped the miles tick by nicely, I'd probably have struggled to get near 5:30 if I hadn't run the first section aggressively keeping up with him!

Pleasure to meet you and get acquainted.over the first 26 miles! You looked very strong pulling away there in leenane. Indeed those miles flew past, not so the last 13.1 when you were gone!

As for my run, I was tired enough from the early miles....sustainably tired if that makes any sense. Mentally lost the will to keep up the pace as I went thru leenane in about 3:33. Dialled it down a notch with some walk breaks in the last 13.1 to finish in 5:31.

Back in Galway now. Anyone know of any plans (official or otherwise) for pints later on. Quays presumably is a safe bet if in doubt!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Brenner65

4:03 for full on the garmin. Happy enough as its my first marathon. What a great crowd. Everyone was so friendly. Ray you must have said hello to everyone. Winds were a bit stronger then I thought but maybe that was just my tired body. Sorry about that. Rain stayed away though.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Running Fool

Ultra done in 7.54 - disappointed with time as I wanted to get under last yrs 7hrs 4mins but I found dropping into Leenane past Killary Harbor the wind picked up and sucked the life outa me from there till the end. It kinda let up after the turn to the right for Hell of the West but the damage was done.
    In terms of effort though certainly the hardest I've ever done and was a good exercise for the mind.

Superbly organized event as always!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Will do my race report tomorrow as on my mobile staying in B&B tonight again.

First ultra in connemara (third ultra overall) and aim was just to finish, finished in 6hours 29min so very happy with that.

Found the headwind very hard going at times from mile 22 onwards,

Crossed the finish line in a decent state, in fact in better shape then when I did the 26miles in connemara last year.

Really enjoyed it and would def do it again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Well, I did the half. What a tough one :) Hell of the west nearly broke me physically and mentally but I kept running(although slowly) when the voices were saying to take a walk break :eek::eek: Happy enough to come home under the 1:47... I drove the course couple of weeks ago and serious underestimated the severity the hardship I would face :D:D

While I'm here, I must give kudos to the marathon and ultra runners. How ye face those hills over those distances is amazing :)

Overall a well run event and I will return. It really is a special one :)
    Hope everyone had fun :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭babalobioddy

Very well organised race, I realy enjoyed every inch of it. I ran out of steam on the hell of the west but got great encouragement from all and got me over the finish line (I was wearing the Kilkenny vest ). Thanks to all, I finished in 3.39 happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

I see Gary o hanlon won the marathon with a time of 2:35

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

When are the results likely to be up online does anybody know?

Back home & have to say what a spectacular course & a great day. A big thanks to all who helped out and organisied, very well organisied indeed!

Well done to all runners, some serious times there.

Was my first time doing the Connemarathon, finished in 4.24. for the full, had a diaster in Tralee, so pleased with just getting round it, slow & steady i think its called. Some wind and some hills! Met so many lovely people, will definitey be back for it next year, would love to say to do the ultra, but just cannot imagine another 13miles on top of that, at the moment my legs are saying its a bad idea.

Well done to all again.

blockic wrote: »
    When are the results likely to be up online does anybody know?

tomorrow in the irish indepentant, & online after that

http://www.connemarathon.com/well-done-all-participants

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Congrats to everyone, that headwind made it tough going in parts. Very happy to have finished my first ultra, little under 5:17 according to my garmin so no complaints with that. Met some really nice other runners along the way who made the time pass quicker/easier.

Would have loved to stay around tonight for some apres-race pints but sadly work beckons tomorrow :(

Fantastically well organised event I must say, it ran like clockwork!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

God I never want to see wind again!

I did the full, first 6 were lovely, wind at our backs, then from there to Maam there was 13 miles of pure wind in the face.

By the time the hill came I was spent. Finished in 3.39 but thought I put enough effort in to doing 3.30 - there were stages I felt I was going at 7.30 min/mile pace, then found it took 8.30 when I got to the next mile marker - wind seemed to be sending me backwards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

opus wrote: »
    Congrats to everyone, that headwind made it tough going in parts. Very happy to have finished my first ultra, little under 5:17 according to my garmin so no complaints with that. Met some really nice other runners along the way who made the time pass quicker/easier.

Great running there Opus, you must be well set for Comrades!

Advertisement