Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemarathon 7/4/2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Outside

opus wrote: »
    Congrats to everyone, that headwind made it tough going in parts. Very happy to have finished my first ultra, little under 5:17 according to my garmin so no complaints with that. Met some really nice other runners along the way who made the time pass quicker/easier.

Would have loved to stay around tonight for some apres-race pints but sadly work beckons tomorrow :(

Fantastically well organised event I must say, it ran like clockwork!

Nice to meet you Opus, I was chatting to yourself and Pat for a while around the 15/16 mile mark, felt good so pushed on a little, fair play for flying past me at mile ~36/37? Bit of a blur but you were flying along, great pacing.

What a great race, first time doing the Ultra, great to get presented with the medal by Mick Rice, that's a keeper! Race is a credit to Ray and his helpers, the guy in the Ultra finish area couldn't have been more helpful.

Congratulations everyone, tough day at the office today!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Just saw the results in the paper, my 3:39:24 was good for 86th place in the full.

Comparing that to last year 86th was 3:31 and year before 86th place was 3:30 so safe to say there was a good bit added to times overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

I done the ultra. And what an ultra. Fair play to Ray and his crew for organising it to such a great standard.

The first 20 miles were really enjoyable, especially with the backdrop from mile 11 to mile 20. First blip was during mile 20 and it just became waaay tougher than I was expecting. The wind made it extremely tough going from mile 27 onwards, it's a long time to be 'out of it' (missed by bag pick-up at mile 29 but lucky enough I didn't need it). That last climb, Hell of the West, has a fairly tame name to describe it :D

I'm use to training solo so it was great to have a chat with various fellow competitors, the miles seem to glide away. Massive thanks to all the encouragement I got from the marathon runners. Unfortunately I just wasn't in a position to acknowledge them from mile 34 onwards but it was still to great to get the encouragement even though they were likely to be under pressure themselves!!

I went in hoping for 5h 30m and considering how much hard it was that I was expecting, I'm very, very pleased with my 5h 29m. I thought when I started Hell of the West climb there was no hope for getting the target time but babalobioddy (probably unknown to him) paced me up it.

And thanks to all fellow boardies over the last few weeks for the invaluable tips, they saved me some serious blunders in my first (and last!) ultra!!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Just saw the results in the paper, my 3:39:24 was good for 86th place in the full.

Comparing that to last year 86th was 3:31 and year before 86th place was 3:30 so safe to say there was a good bit added to times overall.

Interesting. What do you think that's down to, the wind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

We must have been running close to each other I came in @ 3.38 for 82nd place. Happy enough with top 100!

Can't fault anything regards race organisation, they run a tight ship. Will post full thoughts when I get home. Well done everyone, there was a great deal if goodwill out on that course. Those ultra guys are a sight to behold....machines!

my report is here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84043558&postcount=125

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

statss wrote: »
    We must have been running close to each other I came in @ 3.38 for 82nd place. Happy enough with top 100!

Can't fault anything regards race organisation, they run a tight ship. Will post full thoughts when I get home. Well done everyone, there was a great deal if goodwill out on that course. Those ultra guys are a sight to behold....machines!

Nice one, it must have been the last long run you did that helped you towards that :D

Interesting. What do you think that's down to, the wind?
    Yeah I reckon so. thought I had catered for the hills when I was hoping for a 3:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

I died a very humbling death down doing the full marathon down in Connemara.

I was hoping for a sub 4, but I don't know what happened me, I struggled greatly after the 10k mark felt like pulling out at the halfway mark and ended up run/walking to get around in 4:44 .... I did the miles in training, I did the hills in training, but I think the wind just killed me.

Initially yesterday I was thinking to myself "I don't deserve the medal as I didn't run the whole thing" but in hindsight today I'm thinking "Yep, I sure as hell deserved that medal" !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

The Rook wrote: »

I was hoping for a sub 4, but I don't know what happened me, I struggled greatly after the 10k mark felt like pulling out at the halfway mark and ended up run/walking to get around in 4:44 .... I did the miles in training, I did the hills in training, but I think the wind just killed me.

Initially yesterday I was thinking to myself "I don't deserve the medal as I didn't run the whole thing" but in hindsight today I'm thinking "Yep, I sure as hell deserved that medal" !!!

Well done on toughing it out, tough days make the good ones extra sweet.

Any results up yet?

sideswipe wrote: »
    Any results up yet?
    I reckon they've signed some sponsorship agreement with the Indo not to release until a certain time later today - sell more papers.

Otherwise no reason the spreadsheet they would have sent to the paper last night couldn't have been uploaded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

Tough day for everyone. Well done Ray, Angela and co.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry with my race.
    I couldn't handle the chill factor in the wind. My righthandside locked up at mile 24 as we came down the hill to the fjord/ lake. I couldn't move my arm and my right leg wouldn't bend (much) in the joints. I crossed the marathon mat in 3.45 i believe. I seriously considered stopping due to the cold but thought it might be shady over the hill.. Yeah right!
    Asked a few lads for a bin bag (thanks to them) but it was more like a parachute. Had to take it off.
    Decided to hobble/ walk on reckoning that the half marathon ppl would discard clothes. Had to wait until mile 32 to find some clobber. Still couldn't warm up but it was a big improvement. Carried on - had a few nice chats with folks. Came in just under 7 hours. Cold, busted up but glad i finished.
    I enjoyed the challenge that presented itself. I had my eyes open for any dead sheep at one stage to do a Bear Grylls :P So sorry - i discared 4 layers earlier on but there was zero wind for the first 10km or at the start...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Results are up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

The Rook wrote: »

Ah, 'tis yourself! I think I met you. Never got your name but I was chatting to you at the start. I was aiming for 4:30 but wasn't bothered if it took extra. I had never been to Connemara before so I planned on taking some pictures. I told you how I hadn't run properly for the last two weeks because I injured my hip, but wasn't too worried because I was tapering anyway.

Met you again coming up to the finish after the HOTW and finished around the same time as you.

Too bloody right you deserved that medal! The next time we train for hills we should get someone to push us back down the hill while we try to run up it. That's the only way to prepare for that headwind!

I had a fantastic day altogether. Had to stop and shake Ray's hand when I saw him at the finish line. The organisation was absolutely second to none. It was an amazing experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Canine Marathoner

Having enjoyed last year’s ultra so much, I didn’t think it could be matched. But all my expectations were exceeded: slashed 23minutes off last year’s time to come in in 5.21.xx.
    Don’t think that the Connemara ultra will ever be unseated as my favourite race – my soul race. Excellent organization and unrivalled camaraderie. Chose miles 10,22 and 29 for the bag drops, but when I got to mile 22 I couldn’t see the table…I was probably in a trance; was it there? Already looking forward to next year’s ultra. Hit the marathon mat in 3h30m (strictly adhering to my 'plan') and then stubbornly just kept grinding down the miles. Delighted to have avenged the Hell of the West for last year’s humiliation of me. Was going to try and blitz the downhill last 2 miles but cramped slightly when I increased the pace. Remained calm, stretched and took it conservatively. Didn’t want to blow up. 5.30 had been my goal A. So was happy with my time. Think adapting my training worked well: abandoned back-to-backs in favour of marathon distance runs and one 31-miler. Roll on next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Puck wrote: »
    Ah, 'tis yourself! I think I met you. Never got your name but I was chatting to you at the start. I was aiming for 4:30 but wasn't bothered if it took extra. I told you how I hadn't run properly for the last two weeks because I injured my hip, but wasn't too worried because I was tapering anyway.

Met you again coming up to the finish after the HOTW and finished around the same time as you.

Too bloody right you deserved that medal! The next time we train for hills we should get someone to push us back down the hill while we try to run up it. That's the only way to prepare for that headwind!

Ah look who it is! Good man Puck, thanks very much for the chat and the encouragement along the last bit, I'd probably have stopped on the downhill only for you !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jonny99

A strange day for me.
    Long story(dont ask)-Found myself in Maam cross at 10.19a.m. Place was deserted,with the exception of a squad car with two of our finest sitting in it. I had a serious think about running the ultra course, but knew i'd be so far behind everyone, and i'd done the full on saturday, so definitely didn't fancy it.Only thing for it was to ask the lads for a favour, and in fairness they obliged.If you were running the ultra and noticed the blur racing out towards recess, that was me. Zuppylurk was just leaving with the baggage truck when we arrived,so he grabbed my bag,I started the marathon 10 mins late, but fell in with Amy the womens ultra leader (eventual winner) and ran with her almost to the finish, passing hundreds along the way. What a day.Mad,crazy,a great weekend.

Are there gonna be any more photos apart from marathon-photos.com? €20 per photo ?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 121212

Are there gonna be any more photos apart from marathon-photos.com? €20 per photo ?!?!?

would be nice, condsidering I'm not in any of the marathon-photos.com ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

yeah I agree, what a rip-off.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

put together a race report of sorts this morning
    http://runninginkilkenny.blogspot.ie/2013/04/connemara-ultra-marathon.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

belcarra wrote: »
    Great running there Opus, you must be well set for Comrades!

Thanks! I'd figure I've a sporting chance anyway although need to see if I can improve my ability to handle hills a little bit more.
    Outside wrote: »
    Nice to meet you Opus, I was chatting to yourself and Pat for a while around the 15/16 mile mark, felt good so pushed on a little, fair play for flying past me at mile ~36/37? Bit of a blur but you were flying along, great pacing.

Good to meet you as well! Getting to the top of the last climb gave me a second wind as I'd been struggling a fair bit with the headwind before that.

Are they really €20 a pop :eek: Must say I've never dreamt of paying for any photos although have snagged a good few ones from the free albums some kinds souls take the trouble to put online & of course the odd screenshot of the commercial ones ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Cabaal wrote: »
    well done B,,,was a nice tasty pace down the hill to the finish;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Cabaal wrote: »

Nice report, Cabaal, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Canine Marathoner

dying with curiosity to see the official splits as i've only an approximate idea of my 3 legs in the ultra - they're not up on the official site yet; anyone know if they're available anywhere else? anyone got any links to any other photos of the day apart from the official/commercial ones? cheers in advance...:)

Presume you've seen the ones from the Facebook page, but in case anyone hasn't.....
    Wish to god they'd hurry up and put up more photos like last year. Are they going to wait a week or something to try to encourage more people to buy official photos? Connemarathon is becoming more and more money-making scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

My comprehensive ;) report on the Ultra is here for those that might be interested:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84102502&postcount=395

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭doctorchick

Wish to god they'd hurry up and put up more photos like last year.

Unfortunately this year there won't be the 'unofficial' set of finish line photos that I have taken for the past two years as I had other jobs to do this year. There should be plenty uploaded to Flickr - searching on Flickr for 'Connemara Marathon 2013' brings up a fair amount.

Unfortunately this year there won't be the 'unofficial' set of finish line photos that I have taken for the past two years as I had other jobs to do this year. There should be plenty uploaded to Flickr - searching on Flickr for 'Connemara Marathon 2013' brings up a fair amount.
    Are they going to put up albums like they did the past few years at all? Or any chance of getting the split times?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭doctorchick

Are they going to put up albums like they did the past few years at all? Or any chance of getting the split times?

Albums normally take a while to get all the photos from the various links/people etc together so I imagine they will go up in due course. I have no idea about the splits as I have absolutely nothing to do with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Outside

Advertisement